Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joystick calibration

Options
  • 12-07-2011 1:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

hi folks. I'm having a bit of trouble calibrating my joystick (dualshock 3 for ps3) in windows.

I'm trying to adjust the range of 2 of the axis' so that the control does not have to be fully depressed to achieve maximum tilt value.
    I can achieve this by using the windows calibration tool but this require me to be inhumanly precise when setting the limits of the range.

What i need to do is edit the file which stores the joystick configuration values.

anyone Know where I can find this file?

I hope that's clear enough
    thanks for reading and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

The windows calibration tool is only a rough guide really as every game will use the joystick(controller) differently. What game(s) are you using it for. You would probably get more success using the in-game settings in each individual game.

I presume its some sort of flight sim you are using given the forum you posted in. I would really suggest picking up a joystick somewhere if you can. Using a controller like that will break your heart. They can be picked up very cheaply, I recently sold a Logitech one on adverts.ie for 14eur.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

hi bandit197. I'm trying to play Descent 3 which uses a few extra axis' than most flight sims. I know it's not exactly a flight sim but i figured you guys would by familiar with joystick calibration. I'm using the the motion sensing accelerometer axis on the joypad as a pitch/bank control.
    It seems to be workable but the sensitivity is too low. I have to tilt the joypad trough 90 degrees to hit the axis' maximum tilt. I get better results if I calibrate manually and only tilt the joypad trough 45 degrees. this "fools" widows into thinking the axis is fully depressed when in fact it's only at 45 degree angle (much comfier) although this sacrifices some analog resolution

the problem is that I cant hold the joystick steady enough during calibration. the axis is always off center. I want to manually edit the default settings and shave off about 25% of the reported maximum range but I cant find the file which stores these values.

@MODS

I'm beginning to think this will involve editing the registry

Would it be ok to start a thread in the computer & technology forum to link to this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

CrinkElite wrote: »
    hi bandit197. I'm trying to play Descent 3 which uses a few extra axis' than most flight sims. I know it's not exactly a flight sim but i figured you guys would by familiar with joystick calibration. I'm using the the motion sensing accelerometer axis on the joypad as a pitch/bank control.
    It seems to be workable but the sensitivity is too low. I have to tilt the joypad trough 90 degrees to hit the axis' maximum tilt. I get better results if I calibrate manually and only tilt the joypad trough 45 degrees. this "fools" widows into thinking the axis is fully depressed when in fact it's only at 45 degree angle (much comfier) although this sacrifices some analog resolution

the problem is that I cant hold the joystick steady enough during calibration. the axis is always off center. I want to manually edit the default settings and shave off about 25% of the reported maximum range but I cant find the file which stores these values.

Ok I understand what you are trying to do now. Windows 7 (in their infinite wisdom :rolleyes:) only allows for calibration and does not allow for manual setting of dead zones or null zones. This can lead to problems in lots of games/sims etc.
    I take it there are no settings within Descent 3 which allow for this? or perhaps a config file or .ini file that you can edit? I'm sure you have looked at this so I think you may be right in thinking the registry is the next place to go.

Another option would be to use Glovepie and PPjoy and use them to create custom mappings. This thread explains the process. Its for Arma 2 but the idea is the same.

You were right about the ingame sensitivity setting. there's an option to change them buried in the menu system. I can't believe I missed them in the first place. :o

This however, doesn't sort out the range and deadzone issues I'm having.
    The deadzones are alot smaller when I do the 45 degree calibration trick.

anyway I don't think editing the values in the registry will be possible.
    here is an image of the calibration data for Joystick 1.
    167004.jpg

doesn't look like I can edit it manually.

Thanks alot for the link though!
    will give it a try.

• Advertisement
Advertisement