Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got dads name on BC...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

My Little girl has my last name but her father's name is still on her BC.

As I said in my previous post, I hate the fact that "unknown" is in the place where my father's name should be, the same would be if that space was blank. Your birth cert is (or should be) a statement of fact - who your mother is and who your father is. I understand why you would think that your ex doesn't do any of the parenting so why should he be on the cert but regardless of what sort of a parent he is, he is your child's biological father and no one can change that (as much as we may want to) !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

That's what I have tried to do here, by getting his name on his sons BC. My relationship with his dad, and my thoughts about him at this moment are irrelevant as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to what my son deserves.

Interestingly enough, we have some relatives visiting from the States at the moment and we've been chatting about our granny and aunts & uncles long deceased...someone mentioned that they'd gotten so much information about family from old birthcerts..
    My son, who is 9 and has NEVER asked to see his BC, didn't know it existed etc etc...piped up 'Mam what does my birthcert look like!!!!!'
    And I was able to pull it out of the drawer and show him:D:D:D

It's funny the way things happen at certain times and you don't know why they happen...I would definitely have been embarrassed in front of my (staunchly catholic!!) american rellies if the dads section had been blank!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Fittle wrote: »
    That's what I have tried to do here, by getting his name on his sons BC. My relationship with his dad, and my thoughts about him at this moment are irrelevant as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to what my son deserves.

Interestingly enough, we have some relatives visiting from the States at the moment and we've been chatting about our granny and aunts & uncles long deceased...someone mentioned that they'd gotten so much information about family from old birthcerts..
    My son, who is 9 and has NEVER asked to see his BC, didn't know it existed etc etc...piped up 'Mam what does my birthcert look like!!!!!'
    And I was able to pull it out of the drawer and show him:D:D:D

It's funny the way things happen at certain times and you don't know why they happen...I would definitely have been embarrassed in front of my (staunchly catholic!!) american rellies if the dads section had been blank!!!

It is very embarrassing with the Americans, not just the catholic ones. Even submitting it to the postman for the passport gets a raised eyebrow.

They are 'raising eyebrows' at the fact that I am not married and 'with child'!!!! Madness!! Nice people though, and lovely to meet them (first cousins who moved there years ago)...but they ain't fans of Obama, so I've hidden the pics of me with my Stars&Stripes flag at his recent visit to Dublin;)

They are 'raising eyebrows' at the fact that I am not married and 'with child'!!!! Madness!! Nice people though, and lovely to meet them (first cousins who moved there years ago)...but they ain't fans of Obama, so I've hidden the pics of me with my Stars&Stripes flag at his recent visit to Dublin;)

If they are that staunch they should be happy you kept the child and laud you for your brave choice.

• Advertisement

Oh, they're fine, and in fairness they are all over him - he's named after our mutual Grandad so they just love that too;) But their attitude to single parent is certainly different to us Irish!

Oh, they're fine, and in fairness they are all over him - he's named after our mutual Grandad so they just love that too;) But their attitude to single parent is certainly different to us Irish!

Its definitely more frowned on, and not just Catholics either. Its more a class/race thing too.

For example, my friend was teaching in a Catholic girls high school, with mostly black and hispanic girls and they regularly had baby showers at lunch in the cafeteria and would get collected after school by their baby daddies.

Whereas in the Catholic school I went to, white, upper and middle class, a girl got expelled for getting pregnant, but one who got pregnant and had an abortion did not get expelled. Irish headmaster btw who wore Yves Saint Laurent Ties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

might be in the mood im in today but this attitude really P1sses me off. :mad:

i rememeber a woman in a shop stopping and asking to see my baby (years ago) noticed I wasnt wearing a wedding ring. and actually asked me was i a single mother... :mad::mad: When she was told yes she said "aw god love him" Ohhhhhhhhhh was I annoyed

Rant for tha day over.

fair play to you Fittle for doing what you feel is right for your little dude :)

I think there are arguments you 'take on' and others, you don't. I feel they are entitled to their attitude even though I don't agree with them. And I ain't prepared to discuss my 'singledom' with them. Let them have their attitudes...as long as they leave my little fella in their will (they're loaded!), I'll be happy:D (just kiddin btw!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

I think there are arguments you 'take on' and others, you don't. I feel they are entitled to their attitude even though I don't agree with them. And I ain't prepared to discuss my 'singledom' with them. Let them have their attitudes...as long as they leave my little fella in their will (they're loaded!), I'll be happy:D (just kiddin btw!)

Oh your so not kidding :D:D We wont tell anyone lol ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement