Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC for Friend

Options
  • 12-07-2011 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hey guys. My friend wants to build a Gaming PC and has a €700 budget. I've made a quick draft but I am not sure how to drop an extra 50 quid off. Any help would be nice.

TOTAL PRICE = €751 + €30 Delivery = €781

166837.png

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

I'd keep the i5 2500K and mobo and get your OS from SoftwareforStudents.ie that 35ish saved on the OS alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Are you buying this stuff soon or just getting a general idea? (Looking at those very much out of stock items).

Where's your choice of RAM?

I agree with moolers - try to keep the processor and board if you can but take everything else from deconduo's build. That H61 board is a bit sorry looking. It will do the job, of course, but two RAM slots seems a bit mean by today's standards.

Is the AMD build an alternative that you're considering?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

Thanks guys for the replies. I shall take another look at the site
    Monotype wrote: »
    Are you buying this stuff soon or just getting a general idea? (Looking at those very much out of stock items).

Where's your choice of RAM?

I agree with moolers - try to keep the processor and board if you can but take everything else from deconduo's build. That H61 board is a bit sorry looking. It will do the job, of course, but two RAM slots seems a bit mean by today's standards.

Is the AMD build an alternative that you're considering?

Ehm, we're not ordering too soon, around next month. I think the RAM is out of picture, just under the case, and its 4GB of GEIL 1333.

And the AMD buil was attached on there by mistake but, speaking AMD, would it be a good idea to get an x4 and an AM3+ motherboard so he could easily just upgrade to bulldozer later?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If he was trying to keep costs low then maybe. The 2500K is a lot better than what AMD has to offer at the moment. We don't really know when bulldozer is out and exactly how it will perform.
    If you were strictly keeping to budget, I'd take the AMD route with future upgradability options over a cut back intel build (unless you were building a HTPC or something). A 2400 intel build on its own would be more powerful but I think that overall features could be better. Given that it's a gaming PC, the money that you'd save could buy you a slightly better GPU too - say a 6870.

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    If he was trying to keep costs low then maybe. The 2500K is a lot better than what AMD has to offer at the moment. We don't really know when bulldozer is out and exactly how it will perform.
    If you were strictly keeping to budget, I'd take the AMD route with future upgradability options over a cut back intel build (unless you were building a HTPC or something). A 2400 intel build on its own would be more powerful but I think that overall features could be better. Given that it's a gaming PC, the money that you'd save could buy you a slightly better GPU too - say a 6870.

Yeah, thanks. I will talk it over with him and try to squeeze enough out of him for the 2500k. If not, i suppose AMD is the route to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

This is the fun part of building! You'll never end up settling on the first one or even two builds you're considering. :)
    i shuffled my first specs around after all the advice on here and ended up having a much better machine for pretty much the same budget.

Asmodean wrote: »
    This is the fun part of building! You'll never end up settling on the first one or even two builds you're considering. :)
    i shuffled my first specs around after all the advice on here and ended up having a much better machine for pretty much the same budget.

I know right. These dudes helped me a couple months back and helped me save a few bob too :P

Advertisement