Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The feminine image in male dominated sport

• 12-07-2011 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

My name is Lynn and I am a Masters Student, studying Sexuality in Dublin City University, Ireland.
    For my study I want to look into what is considered female masculinity. The area I am focusing on is: heterosexual women in male dominated sports such as bodybuilding and how female athletes deal with the battle between stereotyped femininity and reality of their sports physiques. At the research that I am gathering is based on personal opinion and open discussion there are no formalities. The discussion and topic provided will not be regarded as an interview or survey and so as this is more personal I will give a personal example.
    I'm an avid Rugby player and do a lot of strength training in the gym for the position I play (forward, a main tackler) but find it offensive when people comment negatively on my femininity. In Ireland if a girl plays a certain sport i.e. boxing, rugby, Gaelic football etc. and show masculine traits i.e. muscle mass, roughness etc. they may become stereotyped as butch or mannish. It is merely that, due to external influences some people think that for a woman/girl to show tom-boyishness or masculine traits/characteristics, they are judged as being somewhat un-natural. This is why I have chosen to look at extreme sports such as female weightlifting and bodybuilding. It is a perfect example of challenging the femininity stereotype. For anyone interested it would be great to get voluntary insights into:

How athletes deal with the stigma and stereotypes?
    What their personal attitudes and experiences are on female masculinity in sport?
    Is it important to obtain ones femininity in stereotypically male sports?
    What is it that drives a female bodybuilder’s passion for the perfect muscular physique?

It would be appreciated so much if I could get both female input into this topic. I will be using the transcription but will insure anonymity with people’s online names, location or any other personal details. It will be completely anonymous.
    Thank you for your time
    Lynn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Lynn, boards.ie is a discussion forum not a research portal. This forum is the only place on boards.ie that you are allowed to post such a survey or query without asking the mods.

Occasionally moderators will allow such posts on their specific forums but only when their permission is asked in advance. Please don't start any more threads on this subject in any other forums without asking the moderators for permission first.

Thanks.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement