Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dublin to wexford cycle

• 12-07-2011 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

hi guys, first time poster here. i'm doin a dublin to wexford cycle for charity in sept. has anyone done this before? how hard is it i.e climbs etc. i only have a mountain bike, will this be ok or should i get something else?

thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I did it a few years ago. Its an easy route about 100k i think. Its doable on a mountain bike, BUT much easier on a road bike. If your taking the direct, Dublin to Wexford Road, it could be a headwind the whole way, so a road bike would be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Mr Marri

North or South Dublin --> Wexford town or some where else?

3 routes, N11ish, N81/N80 or over the sally's gap.

N81 - the road is narrow in places but you have a town village every 15-20km
    N11 - slightly longer but better roads, go through enniscourthy as R132 is narrow with no hard sholder. fewer towns so 20km+ stretches.
    No major difference in hills between N11 or N81 climb of of dublin is as bad s it gets.

Nice cycle but wind makes a difference as most of the roads are exposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I did 120km on a MTB before its doable. In my limited experience I suggest you have bar-ends if don't have them already (helps stop pins&needles by changing hand positions).Change your tyres from knobbly to slick, it'll make it that bit easier/faster. Get yourself some padded cycling shorts, you can hide them under regular shorts if like me your a bit shy having your package all snug and on display. :)

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 oscar26

thanks for the advice. how hilly is the trip? headin down the N11 route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

Reasonably flat the whole way - some drags but no major climbs! Slicks will be essential and a road bike would make things a lot easier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

Sounds like the www.welcomehome.ie cycle?
    I was going to sign up for it, but the money involved has me thinking of other events instead (€100 entry plus hotel, organied meal plus the min €400 sponsorship).

Route looks nice enough. UCD - Kilmac - Laragh and south from there.
    The ride up from kilmacanogue past the Sugarloaf is tough but relatively short.. Easy enough from there to Laragh. Havn't ventured south from Laragh so someone else may be able to advise

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

The route on from Laragh I'd say fine, and perfectly doable on an MTB. Laragh Rathdrum is very up and down, but no big climbs. Rathdrum, Avoca, Woodenbridge, Arklow is a joy, slight downhill following the river. Haven't taken the rest of the route as given, but it's all flat enough ground. Handful of chamois cream on the nether regions doesn't go astray for a long day out, and if you're on the MTB, don't be surprised if you come in a good bit later than the lads on road bikes.

Enjoy you're spin, looks like a really pleasant one. Might try that route myself next time I'm heading that way.

thanks for the advice lads. just wonderin if anyone can direct me towards cheap cycling clothing? don't wana spend a fortune cos its only really for a couple of months :D

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

Jersey doesn't matter too much so have a look on ebay.
    Shorts matter much more so maybe try some on www.wiggle.co.uk
    Their own brand DHB range is good value.
    oscar26 wrote: »
    thanks for the advice lads. just wonderin if anyone can direct me towards cheap cycling clothing? don't wana spend a fortune cos its only really for a couple of months :D

any recommendations on food/drink for the training period and event itself?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I tend to have a bowl of porridge and a mug of tea about half an hour before setting off on a long spin. Outside of fluids (2 water bottles), I tend to bring flapjacks, energy bars, and / or bananas for the journey. For 100k, I'd tend to bring about 4 such food items, but usually only use 2-3. My water bottles will typically contain Hi5 energy drink, similar isotonic energy drinks such as lucozade sport. I avoid fried & salty food before exercise, as I find it sits in my stomach like a rock.

Given you have food stops en-route you could get away with less, but I always like to carry enough of my own food for any trip.

where is the cheapest place to buy energy drinks? should i buy the large tub or individual sachets?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

where is the cheapest place to buy energy drinks? should i buy the large tub or individual sachets?

thanks

U don't need expensive energy drinks. Its a charity cycle, not a race. Buy a bottle of Mi-Wadi Orange concentrate. You'll get weeks out of it! On the day of the cycle, bring two bottles. One with plain water, too much sweet drinks can upset your stomach.

Bring some money so you can buy food along the way. If you do need to carry something, i suggest Kellogs nutri grain bars or equivalent. One or two bars max..buy some fig rolls, a banana or a good'ol Hang sandwich along the way.

thanks for that info..you're right of course, its not a race. its just you get so much conflicting info. there are food/drink stops along the way anyway so should be ok :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Out of curiosity are there many of you doing this cycle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

If this is the welcome home cycle then you will have little trouble on a mountain bike, but I would defo get some slicks on it.

Done it a couple of years back on a hybrid with a mate on a halfords Apollo cx10 BSO - was doable enough (even after his cheap sh!tty brakes exploded on the way to the start!) - they even had a van/minibus taking people up the sugarloaf (as it was the 1st time they deviated from the straight n11 route). One thing tho - it was extremely well run - plenty of people giving directions and lots (every 10km or so) food stops that were always fully stocked with all that you could want (bananas, gatorade, fig rolls etc)

I would try and get in with someone else on a similar bike - we did hit headwinds towards the end (last 50km or so) and we discovered drafting and how effective it was!

Havin trouble with sweat drippin in my eyes. Tried vaseline but it doesnt work. any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Wear a cycling cap under your helmet.

Thanks. Was thinkin maybe a bandana? Would this work do you think?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Thanks. Was thinkin maybe a bandana? Would this work do you think?

It would indeed, you see alot of them on in winter time, I'd recommend a buff as they are a little more versatile.

• Advertisement

has anyone cycled from tallaght to blessington? all info welcome i.e. time, hills, difficulty etc. thanks in advance :D

Advertisement