Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lame animal- factory won't take him??

• 12-07-2011 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I have a bullock with an injured back leg. He hurt it last year but he gets about ok and is in good condition. I'm told the factory won't take him and my only option is going to a knackery.

Anyone have any experience of this kind of problem and do I have any other alternatives?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Deep freeze, or try another factory.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I thought that your vet could certify him fit for the factory??

We had a bull who hurt his back leg last summer. When he had passed the withdrawal period for the medicine that he had received, the vet gave us a cert for him and the factory took him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

what if you got a letter from your vet to state the animal is fit for human consumption, - cull cows etc- and once you have the cover letter it should be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

reilig wrote: »
    I thought that your vet could certify him fit for the factory??

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

allot of factories wont take animals that are injured even if they have a cert from a vet or not. The rules were way too lax down through the years and I dont think any consumer would like to be reading a few of the above posts regarding factories killing any old yoke

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

allot of factories wont take animals that are injured even if they have a cert from a vet or not. The rules were way too lax down through the years and I dont think any consumer would like to be reading a few of the above posts regarding factories killing any old yoke
    i would never send an animal that is not fit for human consumption , but a lame cow etc i would send a note just in case its asked for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I've always heard that - "If the animal can walk up the factory ramp, then the factory have to take him".

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

we sent one in last autumn, with a similar complaint we just sent him in with a few good ones and no remarks were passed, I'd say he hopped up the factory ramp rather than walk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

pakalasa wrote: »
    I've always heard that - "If the animal can walk up the factory ramp, then the factory have to take him".

They'll always take him, but if there is something wrong with him, they will condemn him after slaughter and not allow any of the meat enter the food chain. (you will get no payment either).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

but the sound of the OP animal is lame more so than a casualty so there shouldnt be an issue. try and kill with a few other animals as cover

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

If you usually put in cattle to the factory through an agent, have a chat with the agent. We got off a few hobbled ones over the years this way.
    There may be no issue with fit for human consumption, if no drugs were administered or the witholding period has elapsed.

Advertisement