Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend someone/somewhere to get an accurate translation

Options
  • 12-07-2011 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Title says it all really,

I want to add a quote to my sleeve and need to find someone that will accurately translate “The mind is everything. What you think you become.” into sanskrit.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Hmmmm become fluent yourself. It's the only way you'll ever be sure.

I don't speak or read it, therefore i wont get inked in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

90% of the time i'd agree with you on not getting something tattoo'd if you don't understand it, especially the idea of having something in a foreign language just for the sake of it....

However "The mind is everything What you think you become." is a Buddha quote and i'd like to have the quote in one of the primary Buddhist languages.

Also I don't think having the script in English will look right given the theme of the sleeve (I've tried the quote in 100's of different fonts to get the look i'm after and have had no luck)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Elbow wrote: »
    90% of the time i'd agree with you on not getting something tattoo'd if you don't understand it, especially the idea of having something in a foreign language just for the sake of it....

However "The mind is everything What you think you become." is a Buddha quote and i'd like to have the quote in one of the primary Buddhist languages.

Also I don't think having the script in English will look right given the theme of the sleeve (I've tried the quote in 100's of different fonts to get the look i'm after and have had no luck)
    Mate no offence but personally if I was getting a religious tattoo I'd want to be of that religion and therefore able to read the language but if you're dead set on it ask a bhuddist. thankfully us godless heathens don't have to worry about that stuff :D

Mate no offence but personally if I was getting a religious tattoo I'd want to be of that religion and therefore able to read the language but if you're dead set on it ask a bhuddist. thankfully us godless heathens don't have to worry about that stuff :D

No offence taken :D

I'm not at all religious (complete & utter hypocrite considering the quote i know :o) but that quote is one that i find inspirational and it fits in with the theme of the sleeve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

In my (humble) opinion, maybe try another way of conveying what you want to get ... like, does it have to be script? Script is very run of the mill these days so just wondering if you could maybe portray the saying in a design rather than letters??

I dunno but my flatmate wanted to get '21' tattoo'ed on his arm but instead of opting for script (which is SO over-used) he decided on two purple bands - one twice the width of the other... 2:1... 21.

Just something to think about to try break the mould & experiment a little. If you know any artist friends ask them for help or visit a tattoo artist, show them the script & they might be able to come up with something individual / original for you.

Only a thought though... as it's entirely up to you, man.

• Advertisement

Pippy1976 wrote: »
    In my (humble) opinion, maybe try another way of conveying what you want to get ... like, does it have to be script? Script is very run of the mill these days so just wondering if you could maybe portray the saying in a design rather than letters??

I dunno but my flatmate wanted to get '21' tattoo'ed on his arm but instead of opting for script (which is SO over-used) he decided on two purple bands - one twice the width of the other... 2:1... 21.

Just something to think about to try break the mould & experiment a little. If you know any artist friends ask them for help or visit a tattoo artist, show them the script & they might be able to come up with something individual / original for you.

Only a thought though... as it's entirely up to you, man.

Humble opinions are more than welcome :)

I already have the outside of my arm done, shoulder to elbow and this quote will be negativity spaced on my inner bicep with the filler elements (wind bars, water & cherry blossoms) that are already there continued to outline the script.

Given the content & style of the rest of the piece i think i'd compromise the overall design if i added anything other than script :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

Ok, Elbow - you've explained the concept well & I'm willing to let this one go!!

Good luck with it & be sure to post a pic once you get it done.

Pips

Pippy1976 wrote: »
    Ok, Elbow - you've explained the concept well & I'm willing to let this one go!!

Good luck with it & be sure to post a pic once you get it done.

Pips

Cheers pips :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Try DCU translation services maybe? http://www.dculs.dcu.ie/

Dunno if they cover sanskrit but they may know someone who does

Will wrote: »
    Try DCU translation services maybe? http://www.dculs.dcu.ie/

Dunno if they cover sanskrit but they may know someone who does

Cheers will, much appreciated, I'll give them a buzz in the morning

• Advertisement
Advertisement