Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smurfit Masters Induction Week

Options
  • 12-07-2011 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

I'm starting the Masters in Accounting in Smurfit. Is it possible to skip the induction week and not miss out on anything major?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭moggins7

I'm doing the quantitative finance one... You have to go in for registration from what I can remember the email saying... It also said something about bringing in your laptop so I assume it's something to do with the software you'll need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 elixx

Will be there for the MSc Finance. Are you guys staying in Probey?

I'm an overseas student so will need to be there for the induction period so I find out what is what etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

I went for the first day only, the others were for showing you how to set up laptops with the network, printing , all that jazz so you don't miss much unless you need that information.

Even the first day was fairly easy going, just got a speech from the Dean and some information on the college/course.

Saying that, it is first contact with the rest of the class so may be an idea to head in anyway to get to know some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Finally got some info on it. Had to email one of the lecturers in the end.

Term starts on the 5th of September and that week covers a bit of intense revision which there will be an exam on later in the term.

Attendance is pretty much mandatory. Fun times

Finally got some info on it. Had to email one of the lecturers in the end.

Term starts on the 5th of September and that week covers a bit of intense revision which there will be an exam on later in the term.

Attendance is pretty much mandatory. Fun times

This sounds like a ploy for everyone to attend. Its an induction week, I doubt we will have an exam on the stuff.

Please paste the email here, term starts officially on the 12th September and no ways can they test something out of term date. I call bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

term starts officially on the 12th September

I wouldn't conclude that all programmes in Smurfit start and end on the regular undergradaute term dates, especially if they say they don't!

elixx wrote: »
    This sounds like a ploy for everyone to attend. Its an induction week, I doubt we will have an exam on the stuff.

Please paste the email here, term starts officially on the 12th September and no ways can they test something out of term date. I call bull.

I'm not going to copy and paste the email but we did get a notification about the refresher course earlier in the year from Margaret I think her name is (the programe coordinator) , I just deleted the mail by accident.

It had a link and a login to an area that had an unfinalised timetable in it and info on the refresher course.

I've checked Smurfit incoming etc and no news of that for MSc Finance, looks like its only for you Accounting kids.

I never said it was for the Msc Finance. I started the thread to get info on the masters of accounting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 emacdonald

The Masters in Management program starts on the 5th, also. Anyone have any experience moving into on-campus housing early? It's supposed to open the 5th but I'm hoping to settle in before I have to start classes.

• Advertisement

For anyone searching this thread in the future, induction week is mandatory and it's basically starting lectures a week early as there's a financial reporting revision course but it covers a lot that people hadn't done before, e.g. partnership accounts. Theres also an exam on it in week 3.

Advertisement