Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I switch to 3?

Options
  • 12-07-2011 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

I recently got an iphone and because I'm currently on meteor and their mobile internet is super expensive, I currently have the cellular data on my iphone switched off. I don't spend more than 20eur a month either so bill pay options aren't going to work for me as well, I don't want to spend more than 20eur a month on my mobile.

But I'ld like to be able to use mobile internet on my iphone for light usage such as checking email, browsing few websites and using skype.

I heard skype is free on 3 network which makes me tempted to switch over.

So well, I'ld like to know if it'll be better for me to switch over to 3 network on prepay and if anyone know if there's any limit on the free skype. Like would it charge me if I make calls on skype or is it all free?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭marathonic

Is the iPhone under contract? You are correct that bill pay options are pretty expensive for iPhone plans.

Would you not consider selling the iPhone and going for an Android bill pay phone? With Meteor, you'd get a Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc or HTC Desire S on their Smart €30 contract which is an 18 month contract costing €25 per month.

For this, you'd get 200 minutes, 200 texts and 1GB data.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Simple answer: No.

Long Answer: No, seriously.... don't even consider it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I find 3 really excellent and the price is unbeatable. And I'm fussy about these things!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

what is so free about 3's Skype as compared to any other?? skype don't charge for the calls unless you call a non-skype user such as a mobile,, plus if you use it off your wifi you will need a data plan - mobile internet.

whats the point in an iphone without mobile internet??

u could go for vodafone simply 100texts + 100mins + 250MB = 25 per month
    u may get similar from other providers but if u have an iPhone you wll have to get some data bundle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I recently got an iphone and because I'm currently on meteor and their mobile internet is super expensive, I currently have the cellular data on my iphone switched off. I don't spend more than 20eur a month either so bill pay options aren't going to work for me as well, I don't want to spend more than 20eur a month on my mobile.

But I'ld like to be able to use mobile internet on my iphone for light usage such as checking email, browsing few websites and using skype.

I heard skype is free on 3 network which makes me tempted to switch over.

So well, I'ld like to know if it'll be better for me to switch over to 3 network on prepay and if anyone know if there's any limit on the free skype. Like would it charge me if I make calls on skype or is it all free?

Thanks.

Tesco is cheap as chips, 1gig is only €6.99 and plenty for light use. Double top-ups too.

Skype is a different story, it will need a healthy data allowance or WiFi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

marathonic wrote: »
    Is the iPhone under contract? You are correct that bill pay options are pretty expensive for iPhone plans.

Would you not consider selling the iPhone and going for an Android bill pay phone? With Meteor, you'd get a Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc or HTC Desire S on their Smart €30 contract which is an 18 month contract costing €25 per month.

For this, you'd get 200 minutes, 200 texts and 1GB data.
    I got the iPhone from my sis after she upgraded to a new phone so its unlocked on no contract.

I wouldn't wanna sell the iphone and get a new phone cuz I don't really have the money for it and its the old iPhone 3GS so I doubt I can much if I sell it.

I'ld like to stay on a prepay service which wouldn't cost me much more than 20eur a month.

It says on 3's website you get free skype on their prepay/3pay plan along with free texts, free weekend calls and such. So I presume it has to be the mobile internet skype. I use the phone at home on wifi connection anyway but I've only got wifi at home so it'ld be nice to have a cheap mobile internet data plan or something as such too...

Here: http://www.three.ie/terms/skype_terms.html

Like free skype sounds tempting to me cuz I have a good few friends on skype and it'll be cool if I can talk to them even when I don't have a wifi connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

ftm2008 wrote: »
    what is so free about 3's Skype as compared to any other??

3 transfer the skype call to the mobile network when it's placed allowing you to make a call on 3G but still retain the call when you go to a 2G area.
    None of the other networks support skype that's the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

That's a good idea. Instead of switching over, I'll just get a 3pay sim and try it out for a month and see what their service is like. If I like it, I'll keep it if not stick with my meteor...

That's a good idea. Instead of switching over, I'll just get a 3pay sim and try it out for a month and see what their service is like. If I like it, I'll keep it if not stick with my meteor...

You'll need a 3G type phone, you'll also need to set up the internet apn's so you can use the internet and access planet 3. You won't be able to get skype to work properly unless it's a 3 Phone or one they had in their range. You also have to take into account that the phone your "testing" it on may not have been approved on 3 for various reasons.
    Getting a sim for testing is a bit of a false economy on 3 as your not going to get the proper experience without a 3 phone. They have talk text and internet coverage everywhere so the testing is not really necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Getting a sim for testing is a bit of a false economy on 3 as your not going to get the proper experience without a 3 phone. They have talk text and internet coverage everywhere so the testing is not really necessary.
    Theoretically, yes.

Realistically, I know of two different cells, one in Dublin, one in the midlands, where you can sit on perfect 3G coverage but internet just times out and most of the time you can't make or take calls due to sheer congestion within the cell. The phone should hop over to Vodafone, in which case you could at least call, but it doesn't, because it sees perfect 3G signal so no reason to switch away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

you should have a glance over at all the horror threads on the "Talk to 3" forum

Kensington wrote: »
    Theoretically, yes.

Realistically, I know of two different cells, one in Dublin, one in the midlands, where you can sit on perfect 3G coverage but internet just times out and most of the time you can't make or take calls due to sheer congestion within the cell. The phone should hop over to Vodafone, in which case you could at least call, but it doesn't, because it sees perfect 3G signal so no reason to switch away.

3 are the largest isp after eircom so there are going to isolated bottle necks from time to time until capacity is increased in those areas. Once a certain capacity cell is reached they add more bandwidth, there also upgrading most of their cells to a fiber backhaul from radio for the launch of nationwide 21mb in the next few months.
    It's a long time since i've been unable to make a call on 3G, never had a problem in dublin or down the country in a few years.
    My only gripe with 3 at the moment is vodafone are moving from GRPS to Edge which is causing a few problems when driving around the country in certain places but it's only temporary as some of the places I was having problems are ok now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

If you are satisfied with the 3 service, you can get a sim only plan for your iphone with 3. It costs €30 per month on a 30-day contract. For that you get 350 units + All the Data you can Eat + a freebie. If you pick the Text All freebie, you will get unlimited texts to all networks and you can use your 350 units to give yourself 350 mins of calls. You can also use 50% of your call time to ring UK landlines or mobiles. And you still have the free data. None of the other networks can come near that value and I'll be off to them as soon as my contract with Meteor is up in 4 months time. I've been with 3 before and found them excellent in every way. That said, there is a whole forum with moaners about 3 who will disagree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

There not all to far off it now. I'd say more than 99% of people will have coverage regardless of what sim they put in their phone. The average phone user has no idea how to test for signal strength and speed.
    You can't stick a 3 sim in any phone and it will work correctly, hence I said it's a false economy unless the person knows what there doing. Putting a 3 sim in a 6300 will work, shows good signal, tells you absolutely nothing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

There not all to far off it now. I'd say more than 99% of people will have coverage regardless of what sim they put in their phone. The average phone user has no idea how to test for signal strength and speed.
    You can't stick a 3 sim in any phone and it will work correctly, hence I said it's a false economy unless the person knows what there doing. Putting a 3 sim in a 6300 will work, shows good signal, tells you absolutely nothing though.
    What I have found with three is that their coverage for calls is superb, probably even better than my old provider O2, but their data coverage is nowhere near as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

ftm2008 wrote: »
    what is so free about 3's Skype as compared to any other??
    Skype is a different story, it will need a healthy data allowance or WiFi.

The data used by Skype on Three doesn't count against your data allowance, that's what makes it "free".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

gizmo555 wrote: »
    The data used by Skype on Three doesn't count against your data allowance, that's what makes it "free".

Ah, didn't realise that.

If you are satisfied with the 3 service, you can get a sim only plan for your iphone with 3. It costs €30 per month on a 30-day contract. For that you get 350 units + All the Data you can Eat + a freebie. If you pick the Text All freebie, you will get unlimited texts to all networks and you can use your 350 units to give yourself 350 mins of calls. You can also use 50% of your call time to ring UK landlines or mobiles. And you still have the free data. None of the other networks can come near that value and I'll be off to them as soon as my contract with Meteor is up in 4 months time. I've been with 3 before and found them excellent in every way. That said, there is a whole forum with moaners about 3 who will disagree with me.
    Text All add-on gives you 150 texts to ROI networks, it's not unlimited.

• Advertisement

3 are the largest isp after eircom so there are going to isolated bottle necks from time to time until capacity is increased in those areas. Once a certain capacity cell is reached they add more bandwidth, there also upgrading most of their cells to a fiber backhaul from radio for the launch of nationwide 21mb in the next few months.
    It's a long time since i've been unable to make a call on 3G, never had a problem in dublin or down the country in a few years.
    My only gripe with 3 at the moment is vodafone are moving from GRPS to Edge which is causing a few problems when driving around the country in certain places but it's only temporary as some of the places I was having problems are ok now.

Three's UMTS bandwidth allocation is limited. They can throw as much backhaul as they want at it, if their cell is physically maxed out it won't make an ounce of difference. Three's problem is that their cells are stretched over a wide area so gives rise to the potential for a lot of subscribers fighting for limited RF space.

As for Vodafone, I don't know what's going on with their network at the moment. It seems to be incredibly unstable, particularly if you've an iPhone 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

gizmo555 wrote: »

ONLY on a handset with a custom 3 rom. If you use your own handset, or flash a rom, you will lose the free Skype. This was the case last time I checked anyway....

The big delay in 3 rolling out roms is because they have to put their own special Skype on it. So... it's a pointless feature, because noone wants to use 3's lousy roms anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

srsly78 wrote: »
    ONLY on a handset with a custom 3 rom. If you use your own handset, or flash a rom, you will lose the free Skype. This was the case last time I checked anyway....

The big delay in 3 rolling out roms is because they have to put their own special Skype on it. So... it's a pointless feature, because noone wants to use 3's lousy roms anyway :)

I wouldn't say that, I am quite happy to use 3's Roms, not everyone is into putting roms on. :)

Suit yourself. 3 are ****, it's not like you can actually use internet anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

I was tempted to join 3 but after reading threads on here I decided against it.The one thing that stood out seemed to be their poor customer service. I know some might say that its the same with all providers & that some 3 customers were just unlucky.Maybe true but there seemed to be an awful lot of unlucky customers with 3.:)
    If at the end of the day you decide to go with 3 don't get an Iphone as the vast majority of 3's problems seem to be with the Iphone. Tale a Galaxy S2 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

3 are good on price.

Make sure you're in an area with a very good signal before signing up.

Don't sign up if you want customer service. You might as well ask your local priest what's wrong with your 3 router than phoning the 'technical support' people in Mumbai.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭number_1

That is incorrect.

To use Skype for free, you simply need to download the "Skype on 3" app from Planet 3. This is a seperate app from the standard Skype app, I have the two apps side by side on my phone as the two of them have different advantages depending on location, availability of WiFi, etc.

I do not have a 3 rom, I bought my Android phone from Orange in the UK and simply put my 3 Ireland sim card in it. All I needed to do was visit Planet 3 (mobile.3ireland.ie), click "Email & IM" (if you can't find the link just go to the sitemap), click Skype and download the app. Since I bought my phone I even flashed my phone to get a newer Android version and it made no difference to the availability of "Skype on 3".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

So... it's a pointless feature, because noone wants to use 3's lousy roms anyway :)
    Suit yourself. 3 are ****, it's not like you can actually use internet anyway :D

Unfounded sweeping generalisation much? I've been using Skype and Internet on Three for several years, both perfectly satisfactorily.

Hmm...

Wouldn't the skype/internet on 3 work on an unlocked iPhone 3GS?

I might still go ahead and get a sim from them and see what their internet and skype service is like and how much its going to cost me more than I'm currently paying for meteor.

If I don't have much trouble with the internet/skype and their network coverage, I might switch over... I don't really make lots of calls and such. Just send good amount of texts and it'ld be nice to have skype and internet "on the go" on my iPhone...

• Advertisement

Ah ok I stand corrected. This "skype on 3" must be new, certainly wasn't available last year. If they have this available why do they still bother to modify all the roms?

Advertisement