Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I switch to 3?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭number_1

srsly78 wrote: »
    This "skype on 3" must be new, certainly wasn't available last year.
    Yes it was. It has been available since I joined Three 18 months ago. I can't say whether it was available before that for most phones, but this link suggests it has been available since late 2008 - http://www.three.ie/shop/features/skype.html#pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Wasn't generally available. Might have been available for a specific model maybe... Deffo was no "free data" skype for android when I was with 3 (early 2010), they didn't even sell android phones then :D

I downloaded the "Skype on 3" app to a Nokia (Symbian) phone in January 2010. I downloaded the "Skype on 3" app to an Android phone in June 2010. It wasn't confined to specific models. It was generally available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I joined 3 in 2009 and their version of the skype app was an automatic download then. No idea why it wouldn't have been for yours.

Because they only started supporting android in summer 2010.

• Advertisement

When you visited Planet 3 (mobile.3ireland.ie), clicked "Email & IM", clicked Skype and downloaded the app, what error message did you get which leads you to believe that it wasn't supported by Android handsets?

I am talking about march 2010. 3 did not sell or support android then (I had my own phone with simonly contract).

Can you still use the regular android skype for video chat on 3? Or are you limited to their special version?

When with 3, did you look for the Skype on 3 app? Did you download the app? Did you try to install the app?

It works fine alongside the normal Skype app.

There was no 3 skype app in march 2010.... Go check for yourself, they didn't even offer android phones then (maybe because the skype app wasn't ready).

And yes I was pissed off because the guy in shop etc was giving it loads about free skype, when in reality they didn't offer that on android at all. I left 3 after 2 months because of the "toggle airplane mode" no internet rubbish. The same problem that many people still have problems with today, as evidenced on the 3 forum. Worst mobile network in Ireland, and making no effort to improve either by the looks of things (complaints on forum).

You didn't answer the question btw: can you use video chat with your Skype? Am pretty sure you can't because 3 are so slow at releasing rom updates and video needs android 2.3.4. It works very well for me on vodafone nexus s.

There was no 3 skype app in march 2010...
    Yes there was. As I mentioned above I downloaded Skype on 3 in January 2010. Would you care to answer my questions? When with 3, did you look for the Skype on 3 app? Did you download the app? Did you try to install the app?

This the third time I've asked this. In the absence of an answer I'll just assume that the answer is that you didn't even look for the app, didn't download it, and didn't try to install it.
    You didn't answer the question btw: can you use video chat with your Skype? Am pretty sure you can't because 3 are so slow at releasing rom updates and video needs android 2.3.4. It works very well for me on vodafone nexus s.
    My phone runs Android 2.2. I did answer the question, I am not limited to just the Skype on 3 app, I have the bog standard Skype app on my phone alongside the Skype on 3 app. Both work perfectly.

Now if you please, answer my questions instead of throwing in all the diversionary statements and questions.

• Advertisement

Again: there was no android app. How would there be when 3 did not sell Android phones? You just confirmed it yourself, you had nokia skype in january, android skype in june. I honestly don't know why you are so confused :P edit: Ah I said "3 skype app" above when I should have said "3 android skype app". Should have been obvious anyway...

I DID look for the app!!! I wanted to have free skype calls etc. Could not find it because it didn't exist. Guy in 3 shop even confirmed it for me: "oh they are workin on it, will be out soon" (ofc when I first signed up they didn't mention this).

2.2 is ancient btw... do you have a phone with no updates (like original sony ericcson android)? 2.3 is such a big improvement.

I DID look for the app!!!
    Why didn't you just say that the first time?

Now the question is where on Planet 3 did you look for it? Did you click "Email & IM" and then click "Skype"?

Even if there is no version of Skype suitable to the platform of your phone, these links still appear regardless of when you visit the page. There is no version of Windows Live Messenger there which works for Android. Yet when I visit the relevant part of Planet 3, the link is nevertheless there for me to download a Java version of it. Ergo, it would have been possible for you to download a non-Android Skype file and get an error message upon attempting to install it.

So as you've finally admitted that you couldn't find it, we've got to the bottom of the situation. You looked for it, you couldn't find it, so you assumed it didn't exist.

Unless you downloaded a non-Android file from the Skype area of Planet 3 and received an error message on installation, you cannot keep coming out with these broad sweeping statements that you cannot back up.

Yeah, I'm so stupid, I should have tried to install the nokia version on my android. You got me.

/bangs head off desk repeatedly.

Back on topic:
    Here are some links evidencing why people should not switch to 3.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1367 -> 3 forum with loads of complaints.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055970262 -> Apple forum, 3 complaint megathread.
    There are probably a few more complaint megathreads around too.

Number1 did you sign up to boards JUST to defend 3? Hilarious.

Advertisement