Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to set up a blog?

Options
  • 12-07-2011 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi,

I would like to set up a blog. Preferably free. But I don't have a notion about how to go about it. I've googled it and wordpress have come up. I would also like to have space for potential advertising on it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Wordpress.com - Easy as blogging comes.
    You'll have most things up and running in 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭LJL

thank you. and do you know if its possible to have advertising with wordpress also?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

LJL wrote: »
    thank you. and do you know if its possible to have advertising with wordpress also?

Hi,

Wordpress.com is a network of blogs that use wordpress.org software. Both are the same crowd.
    Its always best to host the software on a server yourself. This may sound hard, its not! Many providers allow you to install with just a few clicks. Using an irish web host is also important, if your blog is relating to ireland.

Yes, you can add advertising to your blog template- not cluttered, one bar per page AT THE MOST! People don't like ads poping up at them etc etc.

Also, I recommend you get a domain and an idea of the concept.

Good luck with your new blog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rambo69only

Yeah i was in the same situation but i used blogger!!!

check out my blog for help and as an example !!!

here is the link http://crazyhuntercousins.blogspot.com/

good luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

If you can at all, i'd try and get hosting yourself and put the files up there. Wordrpress is vary straightforward and some of the designs kicking around now are more 'web' and less' blog.

I like Joomla as well (there are plus and minus on both).

'free hosting' can be sometimes very restrictive in what you can do.

Have a look around as a few of the systems available. Read up a bit on them and see if their will fit into what you want to blog about and the rational of the site.

When you decide, just PM me and I'll give you a dig out setting it up (technical side).

***LJL: I wont be hanging around to teach/encourage/handhold - you'll have to learn the system yourself!:D

But it will get you going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭LJL

Thanks for all the help. So just to make sure I have this right.

I should get hosting myself from the likes of digiweb. Then get the blog software from wordpress etc. I've looked up wordpress and they don't allow advertising. Do you know who does or should I get a web designer to design it. It's going to be pretty simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Buy your domain and hosting from Blacknight for all their special offers look HERE

You can either do an manyal instal of wordpress or an simple one click app vault install which requires no real tech know how.

If its just the a basic site you dont need a designer.

Dont get too caught up in adcertising just yet as you need to generate cintent and traffice tp make anything from it.

Any questions ask away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

1) pick a domain name
    2) if it's an .ie domain you have a few hoops to go through
    3) get the smallest hosting you can
    4) get set-up on that hosting company with the domain
    3) get an FTP package for yourself
    4) don't worry about 'designers' - there is that many free templates out there you can set up your own design business!

You can sign up for Google adsence so that banner ads will appear in your site automatically - that should do for a start.

Jump in....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thebrit

is it easy to incorporate a blog into a business website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

thebrit wrote: »

It would depend - if you're site is under a CMS - then perhaps it might have that ability already. If not I can be very easy to 'hang' a blog off you site - under the same domain etc. You just need FTP access to you blog and then it a fairly straight forward process.

If you want top PM me a url. I'd gladly take a look and give you a few pointers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

thebrit wrote: »

It depends on how the site is designed etc.,

But if you site is www.business.com then you could easily setup blog.business.com

Running both off the same domain ie. domain.com/blog works well for some, but we avoided it for a number of reasons and it means we can keep the two completely separate

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Claxton0123

I will recommend setting up a blog on your self-hosted platform where you need a domain name and hosting, you can use Wordpress that is really very easy to create a blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭colosus1908

Try blogger(dot)com google own free blog hosting platform. You could get alot of pretty awesome templates at btemplates(.)com.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭manjosh

Try going the self hosted blog way. Simple because of customization. You do not want to get stocked.

Advertisement