Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oylegate to Rosslare motorway

Options
  • 12-07-2011 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

The new Oylegate to Rosslare motorway route is presented in the Echo today... what are your opinions on all of this malarkey?

The Enniscorthy bypass hasn't even started yet and there are people being paid to draw up routes for future roads that may or may not even go ahead. Do we even need these roads?:confused: I'd love to know how much money is being spent on even before the sod is lifted.

Comments

Route not going through my parent's house.

I think this is a waste, on the drive to from Dublin the worst area Enisscrothy until you reach the M11, you can at least over take on the Enniscorthy - Rosslare stretch and the road is decent enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

This strech of road is required by the EU AFAIK. It was one of the terms that was laid down when the EU issued funding.

It's going to be part of the E1 route, which will eventually run from Belfast to Rosslare, and onto Europe. You can already see the E1 symbol on the road signs along the M11 Gorey bypass.

As someone who spends alot of time driving between Wexford and Dublin, I think its a good thing, but I don't agree with how it will disrupt a lot of peoples homes and lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

As a matter of interest, how many ships dock at Rosslare daily and how much vehicular traffic is there south of Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

This strech of road is required by the EU AFAIK. It was one of the terms that was laid down when the EU issued funding.

I had to look up the word AFAIK. Do you mean "as far as i know"? I thought it was some sort of EU fund title. :o. Why exactly is it required by the EU? For the time being i think they should only concentrate on bypassing Enniscorthy.

just found this on wikipedia..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_route_E01

I don't know if that wiki site is correct but that is the most absurd thing i've seen in some time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Ian7 wrote: »
    I had to look up the word AFAIK. Do you mean "as far as i know"? I thought it was some sort of EU fund title. :o. Why exactly is it required by the EU? For the time being i think they should only concentrate on bypassing Enniscorthy.

just found this on wikipedia..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_route_E01

I don't know if that wiki site is correct but that is the most absurd thing i've seen in some time.

E routes have been around donkeys years..

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

well i would prefer if wicklow coco would sort out the fooken 10 mile stretch from where the lovely m11 ends north of arklow and then starts again at ashford

:mad:

not even an overtaking lane in either direction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Through Wexford Youths ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Across the training pitch apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

RadioRetro wrote: »

Mick will make a few bob back through the cpo;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

As a matter of interest, how many ships dock at Rosslare daily and how much vehicular traffic is there south of Wexford?

NRA Traffic Counter located on the N25 between Rosslare Harbour Village and Kilrane Village (approx 1/2 mile from Rosslare Harbour)

2010 NRA Traffic Counts = Varies from peak of 8205 vehicles in August (daily combined directions) to 4628 in December

http://http://nraextra.nra.ie/CurrentTrafficCounterData/html/N25-1.htm
    • Stena Line Rosslare to Fishguard 2 sailings daily + Fast Ferry one sailing a day during peak season
    • Irish Ferries Rosslare to Pembroke 2 sailings daily
    • Irish Ferries Rosslare to France every second day
    • Celtic Link Rosslare to France every second day
    DC

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Menapians

The thing that annoys me most about it is that its supposed to be a new Wexford "bypass" however its going on top of the ring road that's currently there. A road that has not a thing wrong with it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

Agree 100% Menapians. Even leaving aisde the argument about whether the road is actually needed or not, it seems ridiculous to me to suggest putting a motorway so close to the edge of the town.It also strikes me that the chosen route seems to be the one which would involve the most disruption around the edge of the town during its contruction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

RadioRetro wrote: »
    Nope, the route cuts through the top corner of the main pitch and right through the clubhouse. If it goes ahead, there is no possibility of salvaging the complex for football :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

oldyouth wrote: »
    Nope, the route cuts through the top corner of the main pitch and right through the clubhouse. If it goes ahead, there is no possibility of salvaging the complex for football :mad:

Well I dont think thats a problem, 'If' it ever goes ahead, Mick will be well compensated, and can rebuild somewhere, hopefully somewhere with a better access road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Listening to the radio today and the MInister talking about tolling the M11 at Arklow because "there's no money to pay for the roads" and then looking at hundreds of millions to be spent on a road that's not needed and that nobody wants, just shows why this country, the EU and the capitalist world in general are fcuking bankrupt.

marathont wrote: »
    Well I dont think thats a problem, 'If' it ever goes ahead, Mick will be well compensated, and can rebuild somewhere, hopefully somewhere with a better access road.
    The complex is in the hands of the Receiver, so any compensation received would go against his debts. The club will survive but I don't know where the funds would then come from for a LOI suitable facility. The road is many years off but it means there is too much uncertainty to develop the complex any further.

What was the point of announcing the preferred route if it not to be built? Even when it comes time to build it, it will have to go back to the drawing board to ensure it meets the needs of the day. Pack of gobsheens

What was the point of announcing the preferred route if it not to be built? Even when it comes time to build it, it will have to go back to the drawing board to ensure it meets the needs of the day. Pack of gobsheens

They announced the route to dispel any fears that people may have had over the road going through their property,not knowing for definite would have affected property values and led to problems getting planning permission.
    At least now people know the route.

With regards to tolls-these are to be used to pay for upkeep of the roads:rolleyes: More like generate revenue for the Government.The building of the new motorway is dictated by the EU who provided the funds and insist on what it's spent on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Ian7 wrote: »
    Why exactly is it required by the EU? For the time being i think they should only concentrate on bypassing Enniscorthy.

If I remember right, I think it was one of the conditions of receiving all the funding from the EU, Ireland had to build a motorway from one end of the island to the next.

As I said, I'm all for the road, but I don't agree with putting people out of homes for it.

zerks wrote: »

They announced the route to dispel any fears that people may have had over the road going through their property,not knowing for definite would have affected property values and led to problems getting planning permission.
    At least now people know the route.

With regards to tolls-these are to be used to pay for upkeep of the roads:rolleyes: More like generate revenue for the Government.The building of the new motorway is dictated by the EU who provided the funds and insist on what it's spent on.
    But now the people on the selected route cannot sell their homes, even if the road doesn't get built for 10 years, if ever

• Advertisement

But now the people on the selected route cannot sell their homes, even if the road doesn't get built for 10 years, if ever

Small consolation but it's better than having 5 proposed routes and nobody along them any the wiser.
    Talks are that the Enniscorthy Bypass is due to start in the Spring 2012.

Advertisement