Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on processor socket types

Options
  • 12-07-2011 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Hey all
    Im currently in the process of building a gaming PC for myself im quite happy to check up all the components and see whats best for my budget etc(this is half the fun imo). i have done all this and am pretty much ready to buy.

i have one quick Query before i do what is the differance between the different sockets types
    im currently planning on buying a i7 950 processor on the LGA1366 socket with an asus P6X58D mainboard.

so is this ok for a gaming build or should i reconsider a different socket type

thanks for any info ye can give

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

murphk wrote: »
    Hey all
    Im currently in the process of building a gaming PC for myself im quite happy to check up all the components and see whats best for my budget etc(this is half the fun imo). i have done all this and am pretty much ready to buy.

i have one quick Query before i do what is the differance between the different sockets types
    im currently planning on buying a i7 950 processor on the LGA1366 socket with an asus P6X58D mainboard.

so is this ok for a gaming build or should i reconsider a different socket type

thanks for any info ye can give

The LGA 1366 is a dead socket, stay away from it. Best gaming build at the moment is the i5-2500k on a P67 or Z68 motherboard. It has amazing overclocking capabilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

Yes, both the 1366 and 1156 are dead sockets.

What you want is the 1155 (yes, it's different) i5-2500k if you are gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

deconduo wrote: »
    The LGA 1366 is a dead socket, stay away from it. Best gaming build at the moment is the i5-2500k on a P67 or Z68 motherboard. It has amazing overclocking capabilities.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

great thanks for that advice ill def stay away from the 1366

ill pop up a list before i buy and get yere opinion if thats cool

any suggestions for a motherboard to go with the i5 2500k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

There's so many good boards available it depends on your budget and what features you might want. I have a bit of a soft spot for the Gigabyte boards especially the dark charcoal grey ones. Yummy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement