Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student surf trip

Options
  • 12-07-2011 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hey, myself and a group of my college friends have decided we want to go on a surf/camping weekend and I was just wondering if people could help us out with some suggestions. Does anyone know of some good surf spots that we could head to that have some student friendly campsites nearby? Or has anyone gone camping with college mates before and stayed in a campsite that was happy to have them!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Dooey Strand is worth considering for a trip, middle of nowhere but great crack

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭I dont know

Camped out at Rossnowlagh at the weekend. It’s a great spot for a group of surfers with different abilities.
    There’s a picnic area with car park behind the lifeguard lookout (not the one at the top of the surf club, but one on further up the beach) that we camped at. Just on the other side of the sand dunes from the beach!
    You’re not necessarily meant to camp here, but no1 will complain if you leave the place as you found it. The guards were up with the life guards on Sunday and didn’t even come over to us, so clearly didn’t have a problem. There are really clean portaloos, a tap and recycle& rubbish bins in the carpark. Just a short walk to the shop/bar/surf hire, yet remote enough that yous wont have any neighbours to keep awake if you’re up late.

We were the only ones there last weekend, but there have been other groups when we’ve camped before.

Other options would be just down the road in Bundoran, plenty of nightlife but no obvious camp-sites i can think of apart from in the dunes at Tullan strand.

Lahinch is supposed to be good but I haven't been

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

You could do the whole hostel and surf thing. Bundoran's ideal, Tramore is good for hostels, but surf can be inconsistent especially this time of year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hatandsocks

Camped out at Rossnowlagh at the weekend. It’s a great spot for a group of surfers with different abilities.
    There’s a picnic area with car park behind the lifeguard lookout (not the one at the top of the surf club, but one on further up the beach) that we camped at. Just on the other side of the sand dunes from the beach!
    You’re not necessarily meant to camp here, but no1 will complain if you leave the place as you found it. The guards were up with the life guards on Sunday and didn’t even come over to us, so clearly didn’t have a problem. There are really clean portaloos, a tap and recycle& rubbish bins in the carpark. Just a short walk to the shop/bar/surf hire, yet remote enough that yous wont have any neighbours to keep awake if you’re up late.

We were the only ones there last weekend, but there have been other groups when we’ve camped before.

Other options would be just down the road in Bundoran, plenty of nightlife but no obvious camp-sites i can think of apart from in the dunes at Tullan strand.

Lahinch is supposed to be good but I haven't been

I saw people camping in the parking lot of tullan strand the weekend of sea sessions but I think that was more of a special occasion, how strict would they be about camping in the dunes or on the beach there do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭I dont know

I saw people camping in the parking lot of tullan strand the weekend of sea sessions but I think that was more of a special occasion, how strict would they be about camping in the dunes or on the beach there do you think?

I’m not sure if you’d get away with camping up there anymore. I have seen people camp there loads of times before, but with the new parking charges at the car park up there, the County Council will be up a few times a day and may have an objection.
    I have seen people camp at the back of the beach (away to your right when you get to the bottom of the path) and in the dunes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hatandsocks

good to know

Advertisement