Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stewart Lee = funniest British comedian

Options
  • 12-07-2011 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

So far ahead of all the others it isn't even funny, no debate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

So far ahead of all the others it isn't even funny, no debate
    I think you will find there is:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Rebel021 wrote: »
    I think you will find there is:rolleyes:

Go on . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I prefer Tim Vine. Therefore there is a debate.

As much as I like Stewart Lee
    I think there a loads who are funnier
    Connolly
    Moran
    Carlin

This thread will go nowhere as we all have different tastes

You do know that Dylan Moran is Irish, Billy Connolly isn't funny and George Carlin is both dead and American?

• Advertisement

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I prefer Tim Vine. Therefore there is a debate.

He's a gag man right? Like Jimmy Carr (except less explicit)? That's all good but I honestly think Lee is far ahead because he is just so different, in my opinion (for what its worth) he is redefining stand up in the UK.

You do know that Dylan Moran is Irish, Billy Connolly isn't funny and George Carlin is both dead and American?
    That may be but there still better:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dog Lipstick

Stewart Lee would be my favourite comedian in Britain as well, love his delivery and insight.

One of the best around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There are no jokes Stu!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

he is redefining stand up in the UK.

This is probably true, but I'm not so sure it's a good thing. I love Stewart Lee, probably my favorite comedian, but I believe every amateur or student comedy night in the UK is chocked full of Stewart Lee rip-offs who miss the point entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Whet to see him live in Dublin some time back. I found him mildly amusing & I was lamping in the pints because of it.
    Two mates & my wife drank at a normal rate a didn't rate him at all; figured he was shite. One mate, who orginised the tickets found him funny.

I wouldn't go see him again unless I got free tickets, and there was nothing else to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

He's over-rated. I find a full show boring but do enjoy the individual clips I see of him on youtube. I love the Joe Pasquale piece he does, and the I.R.A/terrorist one is classic.

I prefer the more traditional comedy of Kevin Bridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

speechless - there is clearly a lot of comedy related matters you should get out and debate more often :D
    in my opinion (for what its worth) he is redefining stand up in the UK.

He is single handedly redefining the greatest stand up circuit in the world ? the stand up circuit that needs redefining like Barcelona need footballing lessons. :D

If its not broke don't fix it i say,Stewart is funny and a couple of giggles at a set at least but he is not the funniest and of course there is plenty of debate to be had on that as we all have different tastes so we do.

tossy wrote: »
    speechless - there is clearly a lot of comedy related matters you should get out and debate more often :D

He is single handedly redefining the greatest stand up circuit in the world ? the stand up circuit that needs redefining like Barcelona need footballing lessons. :D

If its not broke don't fix it i say,Stewart is funny and a couple of giggles at a set at least but he is not the funniest and of course there is plenty of debate to be had on that as we all have different tastes so we do.

You're speechless because someone said Billy Connolly isn't funny? Ha ha, you must be easily shocked.

The British stand up circuit is good, but because of it's success Lee's attitude and style is all the more unique, he isn't interested in playing the O2 and that is a rarity among comedians. His delivery in particular is so different from everyone else, and I think he has a Bill Hicks thing also in that he wants to challenge his audience and wont stoop to the ubiquitous dick jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

Never heard of him before but I like what I see in the few clips I've watched since reading this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

You're speechless because someone said Billy Connolly isn't funny? Ha ha, you must be easily shocked.

The British stand up circuit is good, but because of it's success Lee's attitude and style is all the more unique, he isn't interested in playing the O2 and that is a rarity among comedians. His delivery in particular is so different from everyone else, and I think he has a Bill Hicks thing also in that he wants to challenge his audience and wont stoop to the ubiquitous dick jokes.

He'd never fill the O2.
    I don't think "funny" when I hear the name Stewart Lee. I think of words like, "quiff", "patient", "edgy" etc. There's no way I get more belly laughs from him then I would from the likes of Ross Noble, Bill Bailey, Steve Coogan or Eddie Izzard.

He'd never fill the O2.
    I don't think "funny" when I hear the name Stewart Lee. I think of words like, "quiff", "patient", "edgy" etc. There's no way I get more belly laughs from him then I would from the likes of Ross Noble, Bill Bailey, Steve Coogan or Eddie Izzard.

I never said he'd fill it, I said he isn't interested in it. His ambition isn't to sell out and make money by doing the easy thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

I like his riff on top gear presenters, i cant stand that show now, i used to like it when it was 30 mins long and they talked about cars

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

I like him but his stand up can be a bit monotonous and long winded. I find myself getting bored waiting for a joke, where as others just "get" the style and find the whole thing funny.

I don't think Eddie Izzard can be touched as far as British comedians go but maybe you could discount him seen as he's been fairly quite on the comedy front in the last while..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

He's a gag man right? Like Jimmy Carr (except less explicit)? That's all good but I honestly think Lee is far ahead because he is just so different, in my opinion (for what its worth) he is redefining stand up in the UK.

He's not that different in that his style is almost exactly the same as Richard Herring (but less vulgar for the telly audience)

• Advertisement

He's over-rated. I find a full show boring but do enjoy the individual clips I see of him on youtube. I love the Joe Pasquale piece he does, and the I.R.A/terrorist one is classic.

Never understood this opinion of Stewart Lee tbh. His style of comedy is designed to be a full show with numerous callbacks and the like. There are bits that work on their own, but they almost always have to do with something else in the show.
    I don't think Eddie Izzard can be touched as far as British comedians go but maybe you could discount him seen as he's been fairly quite on the comedy front in the last while..

He certainly can. His last two tours that came to Dublin (2003ish and 2009, not sure if there were others that didn't come here) were abysmal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

He certainly can. His last two tours that came to Dublin (2003ish and 2009, not sure if there were others that didn't come here) were abysmal.

I used to love Eddie Izzard but his newer stuff feels a bit like someone doing a bad Eddie Izzard impersonation.

Absolutely. His early stuff is great, but it's like someone just ripped off his style, but forgot to put any of the jokes in.

I remember his last show had loads of atheism stuff in it which I hate to see a comedian resort to. Gervais and a few others do it too and it's just so smug. Seems to give the audience a false sense that they're watching something intelligent, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Tom O'Connor is a lot funnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I like Stewart Lee, but I felt his last Comedy Vehicle was a bit lame, expect for the last episode. A lot of comedians don't seem to get now that in the internet age, if they tell a joke at one of their big comedy things 5 years ago, and do it again on national television, people are going to notice.

I prefer sets that are a bit tighter structurally though, and don't really like how he goes on and on with a joke. Something about Lee tells me that is the joke though. IT'S META-ON-META MAAAAN.

Can't think of a single British comedian I like otherwise though, partly because now all I'm exposed to is these game-show comedians who are on TV every other night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I quite like Michael McIntyre..

Can't think of a single British comedian I like otherwise though, partly because now all I'm exposed to is these game-show comedians who are on TV every other night.

You need to check out some good British comedians, the ones who don't do game-shows. What nationality of comedian do you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I am easily shocked indeed no doubt about it,i had to give up listening to Joe Duffy altogether!

he isn't interested in playing the O2 and that is a rarity among comedians.

Not really i know loads of comedians who never expressed an interest in playing the bigger arenas,its not a natural venue for comedy,many comedians and comedy acts have filled them but few have mastered them.
    His delivery in particular is so different from everyone else, and I think he has a Bill Hicks thing also in that he wants to challenge his audience and wont stoop to the ubiquitous dick jokes.

I will agree he does challenge his audience and that can be a good thing,i think comparing him to bill hicks is a stretch too far though.As for ubiquitous Dick jokes yeah he is such a breath of fresh air there,as EVERY other comedian on the circuit are now just leaning back on cock jokes to get a laugh - go Stewart lee :D

Look at the end of the day we all like different things and different types of comedy i'd never knock you for championing Stewart lee but when you make a post like your OP then you have to expect back lash.

tossy wrote: »
    Look at the end of the day we all like different things and different types of comedy i'd never knock you for championing Stewart lee but when you make a post like your OP then you have to expect back lash.

Fair enough, although in my defence I was just after a rather long laughing bout watching Mr Lee. Obviously my 'no debate' comment is an invitation to debate, but I'm a fan so I am glad there was a debate.

To each, their own :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

You need to check out some good British comedians, the ones who don't do game-shows. What nationality of comedian do you like?

I don't have any specific nationality that I prefer! I just think that the publicised British public comedy circuit, a lot like any other one in any other country, is quite a load of rot. I don't have the benefit of living in England or America, or even a city in Ireland, so I've not really got an opportunity.

Stand-ups I'd rate that are currently alive would be Norm MacDonald, Dave Chappelle, Brian Regan, Dylan Moran, Stewart Lee.

Advertisement