Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stewart Lee = funniest British comedian

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

minikin wrote: »
    Tom O'Connor is a lot funnier.
    I see what you did there. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

He doesn't make me laugh. Which is how I rate a comedian. I couldn't give a sh1t about his views on geopolitics, Indian food, Top Gear presenters or the decline of religion, if they aren't used as a vehicle to make me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

tossy wrote: »
    I will agree he does challenge his audience and that can be a good thing,i think comparing him to bill hicks is a stretch too far though.As for ubiquitous Dick jokes yeah he is such a breath of fresh air there,as EVERY other comedian on the circuit are now just leaning back on cock jokes to get a laugh - go Stewart lee :D

Yeah, i remember Stew saying how stuff like Frankie Boyle telling a Susan Boyle joke being the standard of comedy today was depressing.

Apart from Lee being a talented and bloody funny comedian he always, from what i've seen, comes across as thoroughly decent, earnest individual.
    Like here.

Also:
    Some people here want the moon on a stick. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Here's a nice article he wrote about Michael McIntyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

I think he is brilliant. Looks like Terry Christian too

• Advertisement

PaulD77 wrote: »
    Looks like Terry Christian too

I'd say more like a crumpled Morrissey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Roland Gift has let himself go.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

He's brilliant....funny in a more thinky way.

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    He's brilliant....funny in a more thinky way.

Cerebral? :D
    I'm using "thinky" instead of cerebral from now on. :p

There are very few comedians nowadays that I will watch for a full show, but Billy Connolly and Stewart Lee are two that I would.

Both are geniuses, and both can tell a story about the smallest of things and make it hilarious.

Connolly is less thinky* than Lee though.

*Entire post was excuse just to use that word. :pac:

• Advertisement

Feel free to use at will:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mrblondecutsear

Gotta love Stewart Lee. Daniel Kitson and Simon Munnery are also very talented British comics in my opinion. There's a great interview with Stewart Lee on Marc Marons podcast that's worth checking out for any fans

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Only just started getting into Stewart Lee over the past few months. I remember watching "If you prefer a milder comedian..." last year and thinking it was alright, but not great. A few months ago, I rewatched it and thought it was absolute genius. Got "Stand-up Comedy" a few weeks ago and loved it too. Last night, package from Amazon arrived with "41st Best Stand Up Ever", "90's Comedian" and both series' of Comedy Vehicle. Some good watching to be done over the next week

One of my favourite bits:

No...... Not the Queen of Hearts....

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

he is muck!

Mickey flanagan on the other hand!

Barrington wrote: »
    I remember watching "If you prefer a milder comedian..." last year and thinking it was alright, but not great. A few months ago, I rewatched it and thought it was absolute genius.

:D

If that's true then I think you're in for a treat because I thought that DVD was the least enjoyable show I've seen him do. I seen the Dublin performance of that show and it was 100 times better than the DVD, even taking in to account a live performance is likely to be better anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    If that's true then I think you're in for a treat because I thought that DVD was the least enjoyable show I've seen him do. I seen the Dublin performance of that show and it was 100 times better than the DVD, even taking in to account a live performance is likely to be better anyway.

Yeah, "Stand-up Comedy" was better I think, but I still really like Milder Comedian. Probably spends too long on Richard Hammond and Top Gear (which was why I wasn't that impressed first time I watched it) but his whole rant at the end was priceless. Watched 41st Best Stand-up last night and thought it was excellent. The Carphone Warehouse bit was hilarious :D

Probably start watching Comedy Vehicle before 90's Comedian

http://www.stewartlee.co.uk/

Gotta love the reviews at the bottom of the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Yeah, i remember Stew saying how stuff like Frankie Boyle telling a Susan Boyle joke being the standard of comedy today was depressing.

Apart from Lee being a talented and bloody funny comedian he always, from what i've seen, comes across as thoroughly decent, earnest individual.
    Like here.

Also:
    Some people here want the moon on a stick. :pac:

I subscribe to your sentiments here. He quite succintly puts hype-machines(for a large part, McIntyre) and shock value preachers (namely Frankie Boyle) in what he deems to be their respective categories. He doesn't really have to, but it's nice to know someone pays attention before these very average comedians get ahead of themselves and grace us with the salient points as to why they aren't really that funny.

I think he's phenomenal, but too many times he been ponderous and drags a point out to the nth degree, which can become a little staid, but that was more apparent in his tv series. Couldn't really fault him live. His approach is a little different and his observations incisive so he'd definitely be up there as one of the best.

Guys like Mark Watson, Sean Locke, Milton Jones regularly get a good ol guffaw out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

I'm very fond of Stewart Lee! He has had a lot more of an impact in comedy than people give him credit for too! You know that Eddie Izzard joke, "I like my women like I like my coffee... in a plastic cup"? Stewart Lee said that first (don't get me wrong though, I love Eddie Izzard too). I also think he's a very brave comedian! I love that bit he does in 41st Greatest Stand Up video, where he stands with a toy giraffe on his head in complete silence, and he continues on even though literally only one person is laughing!

Sounding like a pretentious twat, he's a meta-comedian - a 'comedian's comedian'. Which I think I've heard him described as, recently. But he's funny, and that's all that counts in the end.

• Advertisement

And this is quite nice, I think: :)

http://www.stewartlee.co.uk/did_you_download.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭briany

Been loving his work since the 90s. The only thing I don't care for too much in his act is when he indulges in meta-comedy which is where he breaks down his own act while doing it. Could do with a little less of that, personally speaking. However, I like that his stand up routine has texture and depth to it, he tells a good story and he's a lot less snarky than he used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭cyberhog

Lee seems like a bit of a tosser to be honest! I think there are far better comedians out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Nice insight.

Advertisement