Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Land Drainage

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Pacoa wrote: »
    If you've got any land to drain then you better get at it.
    I've just seen this
    http://www.independent.ie/farming/farm-bodies-hit-out-at-reclamation-rules-2818466.html

ya got a fright when i read that today

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

We'll soon need a permit to cut a field of grass!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Its hardly news though - most of these activities have already been restricted under REPS and various SAC, NHA designations for years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

It won't really affect land that you are already farming. If you have wet land that you want to drain, you can still drain it. If you have a marsh or bogland that currently isn't farmed and you want to drain it, you will need to get permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Hopefully these new regulations will be enforced, but knowing this country probably will not be. Wetlands need to be protected........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

Traonach wrote: »
    Hopefully these new regulations will be enforced, but knowing this country probably will not be. Wetlands need to be protected........

ive no idea about ''wetlands'' where are they located ? and why would ya want to protect them ? surly the land is better off being used to produce food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

polod wrote: »
    ive no idea about ''wetlands'' where are they located ? and why would ya want to protect them ? surly the land is better off being used to produce food.
    Protect biodiversity, flood protection
    http://iwt.ie/what-we-do/wetlands/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

Traonach wrote: »
    Protect biodiversity, flood protection
    http://iwt.ie/what-we-do/wetlands/

awh right thats grand ...as long as rushy feilds can be drained with out any problems every thing is hunky dorie ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

i have no great problem with this as long as the defination of wetlands is sensible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 shot_ov_a

we were thinking about clearing off a fair bit of scrub,cleaning drains and a general tidy up of some land in september! will we need to get permission for this?? a small bit of it is beside a lake if that makes any difference??

• Advertisement

shot_ov_a wrote: »
    ?? a small bit of it is beside a lake if that makes any difference??

Depends on if the lake has a designation(SAC etc.) or is under fisheries management, especcially if its a game fishery. The fisheries board would be particualry sensitive if any work generated a large amount of silt entering such a lake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 shot_ov_a

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Depends on if the lake has a designation(SAC etc.) or is under fisheries management, especcially if its a game fishery. The fisheries board would be particualry sensitive if any work generated a large amount of silt entering such a lake.

cheers how would i find out about this?? also do you know if the scrub that is away from the lake need permission to be removed??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Holy Mozes, that's it. I have booked a contractor for next October, to demolish every ditch, dyke, bush, briar and stone wall, before any more bull**** regulations come in, thanks to the taliban treehuggers in the country.

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Holy Mozes, that's it. I have booked a contractor for next October, to demolish every ditch, dyke, bush, briar and stone wall, before any more bull**** regulations come in, thanks to the taliban treehuggers in the country.

:confused:

A slight over reaction given that this has been the case for many years now.

Isn't the whole point of REPS etc. to maintain these features anyways??

shot_ov_a wrote: »
    cheers how would i find out about this?? also do you know if the scrub that is away from the lake need permission to be removed??

Give a call to your local fisheries board or NPWS Ranger. If you use a Teagasc planner for AEOS etc. he should know too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

:confused:

A slight over reaction given that this has been the case for many years now.

Isn't the whole point of REPS etc. to maintain these features anyways??

And where is REPS now?

This is nothing short of the carrot being removed while retaining the stick.

johngalway wrote: »
    And where is REPS now?

This is nothing short of the carrot being removed while retaining the stick.

Well if I read last weeks IFJ properly, more funds for the likes of AEOS etc. should be released by the EU in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Well if I read last weeks IFJ properly, more funds for the likes of AEOS etc. should be released by the EU in the near future.

I will not hold my breath :) I'm €621 in the hole for 14 months while still having to stick to my end of the bargain. I don't find that acceptable.

AEOS is a much watered down version of REPS. What concerns me about this other craic is there'll be problems intensifying land into the future. This comes at a time when Food exports are really important. It's a backwards step for farming IMO.

A lot of land was let go to hell during REPS, which wasn't right. Now there will be extra red tape should new entrants or others wish to improve it.

johngalway wrote: »
    I will not hold my breath :) I'm €621 in the hole for 14 months while still having to stick to my end of the bargain. I don't find that acceptable.

Of course the state needs to keep to its side of the bargain and leaving farmers short changed like that is unexceptable. Hopefully the new CAP regime can find an adequate compremise that is fair to all stake holders in regards to future rural development.

PS: I hope agri prices don't start yo-yoing like oil prices are now given the turmoil on the international markets and mounting economic problems in many Western economies:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

Suggested no doubt by those with an armchair understanding of land associated activities.
    How about draining the sky? Sounds like that would solve most of the problems.
    Any idea when compliance with this bull***t becomes mandatory?
    Truly we are definitely on our way to becoming a recreational area for the Germans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

MOSSAD wrote: »
    Suggested no doubt by those with an armchair understanding of land associated activities.
    How about draining the sky? Sounds like that would solve most of the problems.
    Any idea when compliance with this bull***t becomes mandatory?
    Truly we are definitely on our way to becoming a recreational area for the Germans.

I think we as a country are doing a good job at draining the sky.

I also think we will have to play ball as long as the tax payer from Europe has a say. He who pays the piper calls the tune!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

Following that logic has given us the wonderfula specacle of failing Ash plantations on unuiteable land all to salve the consciences of a rather dumb group of vocal self-styled environmentalists.
    What's next-substitution of beef cattle by jersey cows because someone thinks they "look cute"?

Advertisement