Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Route - Lucan to IFSC

• 12-07-2011 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Currently living in Rossberry just off Griffeen Avenue - anyone know the best cycle route to IFSC.?

Cheers in advance ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

I reckon your best route would be to head out to the N4.....probably down past Superquinn (If Rossberry s where I think it is). There's a good cycle lane now as far as the Deadman's Inn. From there, it would be quicker to stay out on the N4, but it's a bit terrifying trying to get into the edge of the road....and is also now forbidden anyway if I'm right. You have to take the old Lucan Road down to the King's Hospital, then go over the footbridge across the M50 and down through Plamerstown Village before emerging back onto the main road at the petrol station in Palmerstown....it's longer, but safer. After that, take your pick between Chapelizod or staying on the main road until Heuston and then go straight down the Quays.

I used to do this cycle from Ballyowen when I was in college in Marino and it could take anywhere between 25 and 40 minutes......depending on traffic lights, weather, energy levels....etc...

Good luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Would it not be far easier (and safer) to use the new cycle path along the Grand Canal and then go via Inchicore, Kilmainham and either James Street or St John's Road/North Quays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I used to go from Liffey Valley Park when I was a lot greener on the bike. I would stay off the N4 completely, especially the section from Chapelizod to Ballyfermot. It's only a couple of KM, but most traffic treats it like motorway and it's wide open so you'll be hammered out of it on the wet and windy days.

I would advise going through Ballyfermot myself. Stay off the cycle paths, they're usually littered with glass and they're badly disjointed anyway.

You can also stay off the N4 completely, but that's up to you. Personally I think the spin through the South Inner city is quite nice, though it can be a bit unnerving on dark winter evenings when there's no-one about.

Though if there is a cycle track taking you all the way down the Canal, that would definitely be my choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

lxflyer wrote: »
    Would it not be far easier (and safer) to use the new cycle path along the Grand Canal and then go via Inchicore, Kilmainham and either James Street or St John's Road/North Quays?

That's what i thought, although I've only cycled the bits between the Newcastle road and Clondalkin

The dismounting to go through all the gates is annoying though

But nearly by definition, the canal route would be the shortest (and quickest)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

unkel wrote: »
    That's what i thought, although I've only cycled the bits between the Newcastle road and Clondalkin

The dismounting to go through all the gates is annoying though

But nearly by definition, the canal route would be the shortest (and quickest)

And far safer too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement