Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shiplap fence - pillar collapsed

• 12-07-2011 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi. We have a shiplap fence supported by concrete pillars in our back garden. One of the pillars has moved to the left - I think it has collapsed slightly and has left a too wide gap on one side and a too narrow gap for the fencing on the other.

Would anyone know if the supporting pillar can be re-set into the ground and if this is a big or expensive job?

As always, any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

lamonp wrote: »
    Hi. We have a shiplap fence supported by concrete pillars in our back garden. One of the pillars has moved to the left - I think it has collapsed slightly and has left a too wide gap on one side and a too narrow gap for the fencing on the other.

Would anyone know if the supporting pillar can be re-set into the ground and if this is a big or expensive job?

As always, any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Do you really mean concrete pillars or are they concrete fence posts? If they are posts then it should be relatively straightforward to dig out around the base where it has been concreted into the ground and set it upright, then fill the now larger hole with more concrete. However, personally I would always make up my own concrete mix of one part cement to three parts gravel rather than the fence post mix sold in DIY stores, as i have always found that to be too lean for being buried in the ground.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I would use the ready mixed rapid set concrete, it would be ideal for this job. It sets in about 10 minutes. This makes a job like this much handier - less need for bracing over night, less chance of the post moving while the concrete goes off etc.
    Dig the hole, plumb the post, brace it in position, add the postcrete, let it set, remove any bracing - job done, simples.

Advertisement