Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where should we go...

Options
  • 12-07-2011 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hey all,

Myself and a few friends are heading to Galway this weekend and we

would love to know where all the 'Craic' is at with all the locals...so can ye

mention a few pubs (late pubs) where all the 20-something year olds

hangout?

I've been to Galway before and kinda want to keep away from the nightlife

on Shop Street. Also, can anyone recommend some nice affordable

restaurants to visit whilst there.

Thanking ye'all in advance! :-)

Comments

Ehhhhhh..... the "nightlife on shop street" is where all the "craic" is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

Apart from Cava I don't know enough about restaurants in Galway to recommend another.In terms of late night bars,The Front Door(though its packed on the weekends),The Quays, and The Skeff are worth checking out.I'm sure you'll get plenty of other recommendations though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Miss_InCogNito

Yes i agree, there is always craic to be had in the pubs on that street, i was just hoping maybe there were other pubs on other streets with more locals to tourist ratio...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

There's better craic along there when the bars close

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Suppose it might depend to a certain degree on the type of crowd you are looking for.
    I'm a lover of O'Connell's (Eyer Sq), or Freeneys (Shop St..no getting away from it!) myself. Also like Roisin Dubh, Blue Note, BierHaus (I should learn how to spell that place!) and Massimo's from time to time. The last 4places places I've mentioned are seconds away from one another so plenty to choose from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Miss_InCogNito

Cheers guys for the replies.
    Papagormo...i've not heard of O'Connells nor Freeney's..what kind of peeps normally go to these places? Again, i kinda want to stray away from places which are teaming with tourists...if at all possible! lol. Just want to go somewhere with more of a local mix :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Head to Wildes. I was there last weekend.

It made my whole weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Cheers guys for the replies.
    Papagormo...i've not heard of O'Connells nor Freeney's..what kind of peeps normally go to these places? Again, i kinda want to stray away from places which are teaming with tourists...if at all possible! lol. Just want to go somewhere with more of a local mix :)

If you want to avoid tourists, don't come to Galway.

Go to Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Not great at describing places but, I suppose the best description I can give is that O'Connell's and Freeney's are pubs you visit when you want to sit down and enjoy a few pints and a conversation round a table with a few people without having loud music blaring in the background. Sort of old man pub feel I suppose, you could be sitting beside a complete stranger and spark up a conversation about the state of the nation or some sheeite like that!:)
    I don't smoke personally, but O'Connell's have a pretty daycent smoking area aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭In The Sticks

Head to Wildes. I was there last weekend.

It made my whole weak.

I'm sure there is cream you can get for that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

There are a good few pubs down Quay Street (The Latin Quarter) They would have a lot of tourists though, personally I like the tourists, they give the town a more friendly feel.

Down Quay Street I like The Spanish Arch Hotel
    Cross Street has The Dail, Buskers and The Front Foor. If you are single Buskers is the spot to go these days.
    Eyre Square would be The Skeff or O'Connells
    Dominick Street would be Blue Note, Roisin Dubh and Massimos...The Crane if you like old man pubs

Salthill has some nice pubs too. O'Connors and Oslo are good

Huntman out in Wellpark..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

I've been to Galway before and kinda want to keep away from the nightlife on Shop Street.

Shouldn't be too hard seeing as there is only one pub and one club on shop street

Advertisement