Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back Boiler - pros and cons

Options
  • 12-07-2011 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

hi

Myself and my partner have just started building a house and we are planning to have an open fire and I want to put a back boiler in to help with heating costs down the line (our main heating system is oil) our builder says the house is to big (2500ft2) and it wont make much of a difference
    has anyone got any advice or pros and cons that can help us
    :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

tillie f wrote: »
    hi

Myself and my partner have just started building a house and we are planning to have an open fire and I want to put a back boiler in to help with heating costs down the line (our main heating system is oil) our builder says the house is to big (2500ft2) and it wont make much of a difference
    has anyone got any advice or pros and cons that can help us
    :confused:
    when you get to your BER (you should already have a provisional one by now:)) you will realise that an open fire is heavily penalised... modern homes can now be built to such a high standard that an open fire is not required or much heating at all if your willing to design and build carefully.... :rolleyes:
    I appreciate your desire for an open fire, and you do have options.
    if you go for a stove or open fire, I would recommend a back boiler and I cannot think of any cons to putting one in.. just, that your chosen methods of heating are generally outdated and leave you open to expensive fuel bills in the future!

may i ask what is your architect recommending?
    what your BER will be?
    have you looked at Passive house methods?
    why you decided on oil central heating?
    and why you are listening to builder regarding the size of your house!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Firstly don't have an open fire, you house will struggle to comply with the building regulations with one and 90% of the heat is lost up the chimney. Consider a large stove with a back boiler, if your large house is well insulated the heating load should be easily catered for by a back boiler stove which will heat most of the rads. You may have issues with getting pipework to the hot water cylinder and it will have to be an open system as opposed to pressurised but If I was building now I would make sure I had some form of backup heating system like the stove as the cost of oil will become prohibitive in the next number of years. If you have access to a bog or own land with trees its really a no brainer imo!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tillie f

hey well I have to admit out architect is a bit of a cowboy (no kidding) and we have no we have no idea what our BER will be http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/eek.gif
    the open fire was a compromise between us as I love the stoves and my partner loves the Kal heat pure (link below) which I have to admit is fabulous but it is so expensive I'm not sure it is in the budget
    I looked into few alternatives but I have to admit I'm a bit apprehensive with new stuff http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/confused.gif

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

tillie f wrote: »
    hey well I have to admit out architect is a bit of a cowboy (no kidding) and we have no we have no idea what our BER will be http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/eek.gif
    the open fire was a compromise between us as I love the stoves and my partner loves the Kal heat pure (link below) which I have to admit is fabulous but it is so expensive I'm not sure it is in the budget
    I looked into few alternatives but I have to admit I'm a bit apprehensive with new stuff http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/confused.gif

you have started to build yeah? then, get another architect quickly to advise you and get a BER done ASAP and stop thinking about fireplaces till you have done this

Advertisement