Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Fees

• 12-07-2011 9:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

rather worried about this.any info? is there condition where you are exempt for example your two parents unemployed?

Any info thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

As long as you're an Irish resident, you're exempt from college fees, apart from the €2000 registration fee.

If both your parents are unemployed, you should apply for a grant which should cover your registration fees, and depending on level of income from social welfare and distance from the college, you may get extra funding to help pay your way through college. Check http://www.studentfinance.ie/ for more information and to download the form, or get it from your local VEC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

thanks im irish yeah, i got link to the form in the cao.. thanks that was really helpul stared to pannick:)

Sunny!! wrote: »
    thanks im irish yeah, i got link to the form in the cao.. thanks that was really helpul stared to pannick:)

Send off your grant application ASAP! You'll need your junior cert results as proof you've been living in Ireland for 3 years, a form from the social welfare stating how much your family earned, and a long form birth certificate as identification!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Stupid question of the day but we don't have to apply to get our college fees covered do we, it's automatically done? I know we apply for the grant but do we have to apply for the fees?

Stupid question of the day but we don't have to apply to get our college fees covered do we, it's automatically done? I know we apply for the grant but do we have to apply for the fees?

Nope, it comes as part of the grant, depending on which level you receive.. :)

• Advertisement

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Nope, it comes as part of the grant, depending on which level you receive.. :)

Thanks! :)

Send off your grant application ASAP! You'll need your junior cert results as proof you've been living in Ireland for 3 years, a form from the social welfare stating how much your family earned, and a long form birth certificate as identification!

thank you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Man you're so lucky, I'd love a bit of help with college fees. I don't qualify for a grant, neither do any of my mates!! :( I didn't even know it existed til I dated someone from balbriggan :/

ah must be very stressful:(

The main downside is the accommodation, I'll have to get two trains to another county every day coz I can't afford it :o I should manage the college fees themselves however :)

• Advertisement

Fbjm wrote: »
    Man you're so lucky, I'd love a bit of help with college fees. I don't qualify for a grant, neither do any of my mates!! :( I didn't even know it existed til I dated someone from balbriggan :/

Grants have nothing to do with location..! :confused: Do you mean the HEAR scheme?

The main downside is the accommodation, I'll have to get two trains to another county every day coz I can't afford it :o I should manage the college fees themselves however :)

i was looking at accomodation today:eek: where you planning studying?

Grants have nothing to do with location..! :confused: Do you mean the HEAR scheme?

yes are you getting confused between both? why wouldnt ye all not qualify?

No idea how it all works tbh, just know that me and my mates don't qualify here in malahide, and whenever I talked to people out in balbriggan they were all getting grants. Is it not something to do with parents annual income or something? Or is that just the schemes? The whole thing's a bit confusing in my opinion :o

No idea how it all works tbh, just know that me and my mates don't qualify here in malahide, and whenever I talked to people out in balbriggan they were all getting grants. Is it not something to do with parents annual income or something? Or is that just the schemes? The whole thing's a bit confusing in my opinion :o

There's HEAR which is for students in disadvantage areas and then theres student grants (studentfinance.ie) which are available to everyone (though there is criteria).

With student grants you wouldn't know if you were eligible or not until after you send off the form and they make a decision. Apply for the student grant because it sounds like you're talking about HEAR.

hear is for socially disadvantaged schools, theres only a number of them, i assume you didnt go to one of them schools because you would have definelty heard about it

it is very confusing i agree

grants everyone can try, if both of your parents have high salaries maybe you wont get it, open to correction

There's HEAR which is for students in disadvantage areas and then theres student grants (studentfinance.ie) which are available to everyone (though there is criteria).

With student grants you wouldn't know if you were eligible or not until after you send off the form and they make a decision. Apply for the student grant because it sounds like you're talking about HEAR.

i agree, just give it a try, you can apply online

Lads everyone here seems to have a wrong idea of HEAR. Location is only one factor in it, you wouldn't get in just by living in a disadvantaged area! You need to have a low income, a medical card, and no history of education in your family. It's much tougher to get than an actual grant!

Lads everyone here seems to have a wrong idea of HEAR. Location is only one factor in it, you wouldn't get in just by living in a disadvantaged area! You need to have a low income, a medical card, and no history of education in your family. It's much tougher to get than an actual grant!

sorry should have made them point since they were bate into my hear this year:p

sorry should have made them point since they were bate into my hear this year:p

Also your point about going to a disadvantaged school is incorrect too, you don't need to meet that factor to get HEAR.

• Advertisement

Oh I know that but he was talking about one area and how no one in his area got it..

Isn't disadvantage area the main factor though?

Oh I know that but he was talking about one area and how no one in his area got it..

Isn't disadvantage area the main factor though?

Nope, the main factor is income. Disadvantaged area is one of the easiest factors to get in HEAR! :)

Also your point about going to a disadvantaged school is incorrect too, you don't need to meet that factor to get HEAR.

it has to be a designated school picked by hear right??

it has to be a designated school picked by hear right??

No, if you go to a DEIS school, it meets one of the factors but you don't have to meet that factor. There are other factors you can meet instead of it. I got HEAR and I don't attend a DEIS school!

Righ well, I'll try for a grant, you never know :P thanks ciara and sunny :)

No, if you go to a DEIS school, it meets one of the factors but you don't have to meet that factor. There are other factors you can meet instead of it. I got HEAR and I don't attend a DEIS school!

jesus never knew that:eek:

Righ well, I'll try for a grant, you never know :P thanks ciara and sunny :)

do theres no harm in trying:)

Nope, the main factor is income. Disadvantaged area is one of the easiest factors to get in HEAR! :)

I'm just being nosey now but with HEAR can you get grants and reduced points or is the reduced points just with DARE?

I'm just being nosey now but with HEAR can you get grants and reduced points or is the reduced points just with DARE?

i was told it was with hear, but its clear ive been told a couple of wrong things lol, i was told in my school people have gotten points reduced with hear, not sure about dear was told that was like in college and youd get extra help etc, was never told bout points. hope it helps

• Advertisement

Yeah you get both of them with HEAR, but it's competitive to get the lower points. Everyone will get the grant, but depending on the amount of people in a course (a course of 35 may get 2 places, and a course of 300 may get 20 places!) you have to compete for your place!

Advertisement