Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Holidaymakers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

killerbeg wrote: »
    Well I don't think we should be required to provide a 'Source' for supporting data on an opinion driven forum but surely it's obvious that someone who spends time and not money in an area is by definition a drain on the local resources? Unless of course they are the type of visitors who go around randomly fixing roads and mending broken street lights.:)

It's my opinion you are addicted toblerones and once drove to Muff in your bare feet. No source needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

muffler wrote: »
    Im just wondering would a poll be useful here?

Who has the bigger chip on their shoulder?

1. Donegal people
    2. Northy tourists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

slimboyfat wrote: »
    Found a report from 2006 http://www.wdc.ie/wp-content/uploads/reports_WR-KeyStatistics-Section-6.pdf , it shows that tourists spent over €67 million that year ( page 5 ) in the north west region ( which consists of Cavan, Donegal, Leitrim, Monaghan and Sligo ) and they accounted for over 20% of total tourist numbers to visit that region in that year.

To me these figures speak for themselves and anybody who says that they don't contribute to the Donegal economy is living cloud cuckoo land.

With the current state of the ecomony both here and in NI, naturally these figures will be dropping year on year but they still will spend money that is essential to the economy of Donegal.

But they bring their own liquor and pack lunches and spend nothing..well according to some random dude in this thread...scourge of donegal they are..or something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Firblog there's a time and a place and this is not it. Take it to PM if you wish.

I have now removed 3 posts from you. One was a duplicate, one was arguing with a mod on thread and the third was off topic.

No more of this please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Looks like some people in this County ( hopefully a minority) want Donegal to be a local County for local people ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Well I live in Buncrana and its very close to the border and EVERY single warm sunny day Lisfannon beach is packed out with northerners, its before you even get to the town so the numbers that travel on into the town is very minimal and tbh the beach is left in an absolute mess by the end of the day with cans/bottles and nappies among other rubbish.
    Its a popular beach any other day of the week for people out walking but is avoided for more secluded spots that maybe only locals know on these warm days.
    That's what I've personally observed.

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    Looks like some people in this County ( hopefully a minority) want Donegal to be a local County for local people ;)
    Dont think it's exclusive to Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

fontanalis wrote: »
    Source?

I believe some things are just self evident (this is my opinion):
    a visitor/tourist who is involved in some incident and ends up in hospital will be a drain on the local resources: visitors/tourists who do not spend any money in the local economy and leave rubbish behind them are a drain on local resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Firblog wrote: »
    I believe some things are just self evident (this is my opinion):
    a visitor/tourist who is involved in some incident and ends up in hospital will be a drain on the local resources: visitors/tourists who do not spend any money in the local economy and leave rubbish behind them are a drain on local resources.

Surely they must be spending something, like where are they staying, hotel, b&b, caravan or holiday home, they are paying someone in Donegal to stay in these places, therfore they are spending money.

Even the day trippers spend money, I am sure they buy ice creams from a shop, stop to get petrol, all this is contributing to the local economy.

To me your opinion is of a very negative one and of no benefit to people of Donegal, in these times when money is hard to come by, we should be weloming any tourists to Donegal and be greatfull that we get so many tourists from NI, if we didn't have them, there would be alot of people in Donegal out of work.

Well when i was working in the west of the county as a stonebuilder at least a third of our work (at the very least) was on Northern owned Holiday homes.. & these werent small jobs either & they where a lot better at paying us on time than most of the locals were!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭In The Sticks

Waste of time so they are, they bring all their own alchol and food, and leave all their mess behind them. They build stone houses, but still bring everything with them

Even the stones?

If you could would you build a wall all round ole Donegal? The North & South to keep them out ..& would you build it tall??

& can i have the job please ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Even the stones?

LOL!

No matter how hard you try to go to a place for a weekend without spending money, it's my belief that you still will. Sneaking drink into a restaurant, you're still paying for food. Bringing your own food to your holiday home, you're still gonna pay for petrol. Want a day at the beach, I guarantee you're still going to buy ice cream. At the end of the day, they still contribute to our economy, whether it's in a big or small way.

And how many of you can honestly say you haven't went to the north to save money on food and drink or haven't went to the off-licence to save money before going out for a night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

LOL!

No matter how hard you try to go to a place for a weekend without spending money, it's my belief that you still will. Sneaking drink into a restaurant, you're still paying for food. Bringing your own food to your holiday home, you're still gonna pay for petrol. Want a day at the beach, I guarantee you're still going to buy ice cream. At the end of the day, they still contribute to our economy, whether it's in a big or small way.

And how many of you can honestly say you haven't went to the north to save money on food and drink or haven't went to the off-licence to save money before going out for a night?

Maybe they spend enough to pay for the cleanup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

slimboyfat wrote: »
    Surely they must be spending something, like where are they staying, hotel, b&b, caravan or holiday home, they are paying someone in Donegal to stay in these places, therfore they are spending money.

Even the day trippers spend money, I am sure they buy ice creams from a shop, stop to get petrol, all this is contributing to the local economy.

To me your opinion is of a very negative one and of no benefit to people of Donegal, in these times when money is hard to come by, we should be weloming any tourists to Donegal and be greatfull that we get so many tourists from NI, if we didn't have them, there would be alot of people in Donegal out of work.

I've never expected my opinion to be of benefit to anyone - an I'm fairly sure I'll be told it hasn't been - when money is tight or plentiful. I just started the thread to see were my observations about Northern tourists shared by others.
    Now some people think differently and are quiet entitled to do so; just because some point to reports and still I believe what I believe does not mean that I'm living in cloud cuckoo land, I've not insulted anyone for believing differently to myself and would like that to be reciprocated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭killerbeg

Mod hat on: What was posted was a statement and not an opinion and people, whether they like it or not, are responsible for their posts and are entitled to be asked for a "source" where and when appropriate

Thanks Muffler, just remembered why I don't post on any of threads here. The 'statement' began with the words 'I suppose' and I don't think the tone of my post warranted Mod intervention. I guess I'll just continue to read your posts and keep my opinions to myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Waste of time so they are, they bring all their own alchol and food, and leave all their mess behind them.
    Saw them sneaking drink in a pub too when I was on holidays in Donegal once too. However its their arrogant whining in the local shops there that takes the biscuit. I was on holidays in Donegal a number of years ago and they were trying to bargain down a small shop owner who , as he said later himself, never got to take holidays like the northeners do. Maybe its just the rude northners who come to the Republic, the other ones stay elsewhere. They lower the tone of places like Bundoran. Best to go to places in Donegal where there are not as many northeners. When in the north most people there do not seem as rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

gigino wrote: »
    Saw them sneaking drink in a pub too when I was on holidays in Donegal once too. However its their arrogant whining in the local shops there that takes the biscuit. I was on holidays in Donegal a number of years ago and they were trying to bargain down a small shop owner who , as he said later himself, never got to take holidays like the northeners do. Maybe its just the rude northners who come to the Republic, the other ones stay elsewhere. They lower the tone of places like Bundoran. Best to go to places in Donegal where there are not as many northeners. When in the north most people there do not seem as rude.

Jees give them a break ... would you want to stay in belfast after this week???
    I am from Belfast and live in Sligo.
    Its not that they are leaving a mess on purpose .. its just the way they are, you wander around west belfast and the amount of rubbish on the street is embarassing .. they just dump their wrappers/papers at their feet! mostly in working class areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

next time I see any of them sneaking drink into one of 'our' pubs, I will make a citizens arrest :pac: (Im joking, Im joking. this thread is ridiculous!)

• Advertisement

I just hope this thread doesnt getted passed around Northern forums or you may get your wish & they might stop coming here.. if i was them id go on holiday to Spain anyway.. the weather there is tons better & its not full of local shopkeepers trying to rip you off!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

gigino wrote: »
    They lower the tone of places like Bundoran.

Lol, funniest thing I've seen on this forum in ages !!!:D
    IMO (:p) anyone who can do that deserves a prize.

There's a lot of use of the word 'they' in this thread.

Did I wander into an AH discussion by mistake, or should this thread be moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Pique wrote: »
    or should this thread be moved?

Please god dont move it, the less people that read this the better.:D

Its fine to have a rant once in a while, but some massive generalisations about a large group of people.
    I'm sure they complain about us when we travel up north. When i was in college in portrush one particular pub used to complain about students trying to use (as they called it) "funny money". The barman would usually give out and say "i'm not taking that shrapnel", the old punt£1 coins did feel like shrapnel in your pocket:D

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

ach, I'm sure most people would take it all with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

My god they bring their own salt too!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Have to, the salt left in the cottage will always be damp.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

LOL!

They pay for their petrol in border petrol stations which in many many cases (and i know this personally through my work) are owned by people from the north and employ mostly northern people.

You seem to have missed the whole point of the thread with your comment regarding people from donegal shopping in the north as we're contributing to their economy and so i fail to see what your getting at....

Anyone who visited carrickfinn beach on the days following 12/13th july will see how northerners contribute to our economy, the place was an absolute disgrace! The beach is one of the cleanest you will find (all year round) and used in the main by locals. Last week locals were unable to get even close to it as northerns had taken over and abandoned their cars along the leading roads and then when they were finished for the day they left the remnants of their picnics etc and what ever other rubbish they could find in their cars behind them. Local council workers then have to clean up after them. Local people were not in any way shape or form to blame, it was entirely down to tourists and in this case the vast majority of them were from the north. Yes they may have spent a few quid on ice cream or drinks in some local shops but it pales in significance when you see the mess they create along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Have just read this thread and decided to contact my family and get them to come to Dublin next month instead of all of us going to Donegal.

Thanks for at least letting us know that you not-so-secretly resent us for visiting your part of our country. We'll not be back.

I know if i was Northern & reading this i wouldnt want to go visit a county full of people who like to bitch about us.. its Northern people that are keeping many towns hotels & pubs in this county alive & to see all these remarks here is sickening.. next time you see a northener acting in a way that is not to your high standard then have a go at them there or then instead of whining about it behind there backs :mad:

• Advertisement

CJC999 wrote: »
    They pay for their petrol in border petrol stations which in many many cases (and i know this personally through my work) are owned by people from the north and employ mostly northern people.

You seem to have missed the whole point of the thread with your comment regarding people from donegal shopping in the north as we're contributing to their economy and so i fail to see what your getting at....

Anyone who visited carrickfinn beach on the days following 12/13th july will see how northerners contribute to our economy, the place was an absolute disgrace! The beach is one of the cleanest you will find (all year round) and used in the main by locals. Last week locals were unable to get even close to it as northerns had taken over and abandoned their cars along the leading roads and then when they were finished for the day they left the remnants of their picnics etc and what ever other rubbish they could find in their cars behind them. Local council workers then have to clean up after them. Local people were not in any way shape or form to blame, it was entirely down to tourists and in this case the vast majority of them were from the north. Yes they may have spent a few quid on ice cream or drinks in some local shops but it pales in significance when you see the mess they create along the way.

Well hopefully enough of them might read this & decide not to go back & thus keep the beach nice & deserted & for local people .. no matter what effect this will have on the local buisnesses & no matter the fact that this is there country as well..maybe the useless Donegal council might be better off putting some more public litter bins about & maybe employing a litter warden on days like these ..if its as bad as you say then the council would make a fortune on days like that..oh & a traffic warden too :rolleyes:

Advertisement