Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Holidaymakers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

It's a bit unfair to tar all tourists with the same brush. Certainly I see both sides of the coin. In many cases there is little economic contribution, in others there is. There are those that come and leave nothing behind but the proverbial footprints, and others that decide the place for their rubbish is behind where they parked the car at the beach. That's one of the most ill-mannered things that someone can do, and it infuriates me - if I can't locate a bin to put rubbish in, or if the bins that are there are too full, then it comes home with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Thanks for at least letting us know that you not-so-secretly resent us for visiting your part of our country. We'll not be back.

I don't understand this... there was a thread somewhere about bad drivers in Donegal, and I doubt if everyone in Donegal took it as an attack on their personal driving skills, I know I didn't. Why assume that you and yours are being personally critisized here? I hope you change your mind and come for a visit; so long as you don't leave a big mess after you ;)
    Personally I'm heading to Belfast for a long weekend soon and won't be buying anything in Asda to consume while I'm there, and promise I'll not be leaving any of my Donegal Rubbish tbehind me (an there's quite a bit lying on the back seat :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Firblog wrote: »
    I don't understand this... there was a thread somewhere about bad drivers in Donegal, and I doubt if everyone in Donegal took it as an attack on their personal driving skills, I know I didn't. Why assume that you and yours are being personally critisized here? I hope you change your mind and come for a visit; so long as you don't leave a big mess after you ;)
    Personally I'm heading to Belfast for a long weekend soon and won't be buying anything in Asda to consume while I'm there, and promise I'll not be leaving any of my Donegal Rubbish tbehind me (an there's quite a bit lying on the back seat :eek:)

Nope, all arranged for me to host the family get-together in Dublin instead. That's six people X 3 nights or so lost to Donegal hoteliers, plus the food and drink.

I live near Croke Park. I expect rubbish when there's a big game on. I expect people to turn up and drink tea out of a flask and eat their homemade sandwiches and contribute nothing to my neighbourhood but trash. Where I get upset is when they start defecating or urinating in public or smashing up local cars.

In short, I know what it is to get a large influx of visitors to my locality who don't contribute to the economy here and who leave lots of trash behind. I expect it. It's what goes along with getting to live in an area other people want to visit. Donegal should be flattered by the attention. It's not like it's a one-way street, you know. Where are your cancer services provided from? Exactly.

This is one small island nation we're talking about here. If people want to start getting pissy and protective about their little corner of it, then I'm happy to indulge them and take my custom elsewhere. There are lots of other lovely parts of Ireland that remain hospitable and where you don't hear the locals being two-faced about visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Where are your cancer services provided from?
    and this is our fault? I dont like that comment as I lost my mother to cancer last Sept and she could not get a scan in this county so I dont know why you would say that.

This thread is getting out of hand TBH and doing nothing for the county and is only going to get worse I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Stick to the topic everyone or dont post. Its that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

There's all sorts of Northern Holidaymakers, same as there are diferent sorts of Donegalers.
    When we rented a house near the shore at Rosbeg we dreaded the hot days when daytrippers blocked our gate, and sometimes even drove into the drive. I couldn't tell you if they were ROI or UK, just a nuisance. I hate the disposable nappies and barbies that are left behind on such days, but would local shop owners want their sale banned?

Live and let live.
    Messageboards are usefull for information, travel, broadband, taxis, events etc, but not so much for opinion forming, except of course, of the posters themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Carrickman wrote: »
    and this is our fault? I dont like that comment as I lost my mother to cancer last Sept and she could not get a scan in this county so I dont know why you would say that.

I said it because judging by some of the comments on this thread, you'd think the only thing Donegal ever saw from the six counties was hordes of West Belfast lout daytrippers.

Those who'd like to seal the county off to their NI brethren might find they lose more than they gain, such as the service I mentioned.

I'm sorry for your loss, <SNIP>

My point is basically you have to take the bad with the good. I think, all told, Donegal does well out of its proximity to NI. I am sympathetic to the problems caused by sudden influxes of tourists, as I get it every time there's a game at Croker.

But you can't cherrypick what you want and don't want from your neighbours as in 'I'm happy to have access to Altnagelvin, but I don't want their smelly tourists coming to Bundoran on a sunny day.'

Infraction given to Cavehill Red for off topic posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Cheers Muffler, personalty I have no problems with northern tourists and we get plenty down this way all year around and they drink in the local pubs in fact we would have more problems and troubles with people from other towns in the area than the northern folk so don't brand all Donegal the same as you will get a warm welcome here no matter where you are from!!

Also as this largely county is fecked work-wise tourists are our only hope of keeping the county ticking over!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I don't live in Donegal but I do visit family regularly although they don't live in a touristy spot. However recently while trying to book a house for a larger group of us to stay in I couldn't get over the number of houses with northern Ireland contact numbers. I know tourism is very important to Donegal but when the majority of houses in the most popular areas are owned by people in the North how much is Donegal actually benefiting from it? It took me a long time to find a decent house in a good location that was owned by a local. So even if the tourists are from the Republic the money is still going into the north, not into the Donegal economy and what a person would spend in local shops in a week is nothing compared to the amount they're handing over for the house.
    This would be my main issue with the Northerners in Donegal, and I can't imagine it's easy for a local person to find a house to live in when they're all holiday homes sitting empty half the year.

But I guess you have to take the good with the bad. Would they be sitting empty all year round if the Northerners didn't own them? Nobody wants that either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There is a big tradition going back many moons of NI folk owning holiday homes in various parts of Donegal such as Malin Head, Culdaff, Bundoran, Dunfanaghy, Downings, etc.

Many would have been bought long long before the Tiger. I remember visiting Northern friends holiday homes in Donegal over 30 yrs ago.

So you will see a lot of NI numbers for owners.

Sure don't they also contribute NPPR tax for every home in the county? And they have to insure the property, buy oil, pay electricity etc.

@ those from the North who would refuse to ever visit or stay in Donegal cos of a few comments from keyboard warriors on an internet forum, all I can say is catch yourself on!! Would you let your opinion of every Donegal resident be shaped based on a few numpties on here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭In The Sticks

Madam wrote: »
    It's easy seen none of you have been in Bundoran or Ballyshannon at this time of year where the Northern Irish are everywhere, in pubs restaurants and shopping too or just buying ice cream along the road:)

God, I don't think you are talking about 2011, I believe they had a very bad season in Bundoran, anyway from what I can remember about northerners visting Bundoran is that they spend very little, bring their own food and drink with them and leave a mess behind them, as in rubbish in caravan sites, broken bottles etc...they younger visitors usually come down to get drunk and fight.

slimboyfat wrote: »
    If Donegal didn't have the Northen Holiday makers, this county would be in total ruins, alot of people depend on their money to make a living either directly ( shops, hotels, bars, caravan parks, resturants ) or indirectly ( industry that supllies all the shops, bars etc ).

Thats why towns like Bundoran should not depend on tourism as its main source of income, talk to anybody in that town who depended on tourism and they will tell you that 2011 was the worst year they had, A greater emphases should be place on attracting multi-nationals / manafactoring etc into the town. Why is this town soley depending on tourism?

Have just read this thread and decided to contact my family and get them to come to Dublin next month instead of all of us going to Donegal.

Thanks for at least letting us know that you not-so-secretly resent us for visiting your part of our country. We'll not be back.

One down... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭killerbeg

Walking thru Donegal town today an saw alot of northerners down for the 12th, and thought just how good are they for the economy? (remembered seeing a group of (seemingly) affluent 50 year olds in a hotel bar in killybegs a few years ago sneaking drink out of a handbag)

This was the originating post. It seemed like a fairly reasonable topic for discussion. People will have narrow minded extreme opinions on both sides, 'keep them out, they're a terrible curse' and 'oh don't say anything bad in case they're offended'. I'm not convinced that any fair minded person could read this thread and not determine that visitors are generally welcome but locals do get annoyed about bad behaviour. The original post struck a chord with me because when I visit home (Donegal) around the twelfth and see lots of NI visitors I always think that the local economy must be doing well out of it but it's an interesting point, if they are not spending maybe it's a bit of an economic illusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Have to say there's faults on both sides for example my neighbours are from the North and they come down most weekends They do spend money in the pubs and shops I know this from experience.
    On the other hand some of the Northern drivers really need to learn we have traffic laws down here try and obey them

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Have to say there's faults on both sides for example my neighbours are from the North and they come down most weekends They do spend money in the pubs and shops I know this from experience.
    On the other hand some of the Northern drivers really need to learn we have traffic laws down here try and obey them

And what about those Donegal drivers that don't obey the traffic laws, where will we start, say boy racers and then we will move to driving while on the mobile, lets not forget those drivers that dont use indicators, the list is endless.

I agree that some drivers from the north think they own the road but I have my method to deal with such drivers, lets just say that playing chicken works nearly every time. :D Its either me or them in the hedge and its very rarely me ( 4x4s win every time ).

One down... :rolleyes:
    Infraction given for trolling.

slimboyfat wrote: »
    And what about those Donegal drivers that don't obey the traffic laws, where will we start, say boy racers and then we will move to driving while on the mobile, lets not forget those drivers that dont use indicators, the list is endless.

I agree that some drivers from the north think they own the road but I have my method to deal with such drivers, lets just say that playing chicken works nearly every time. :D Its either me or them in the hedge and its very rarely me ( 4x4s win every time ).
    Stay on topic here lads

Now, were these visitors Northerners or Southerners??????
    http://www.inishowennews.com/011CuldaffTrash356.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bomany

At beach near Kilcar last week and was filled with admiration at the way Northerners come equipped for a day at the beach: tables, chairs, bbq's (proper ones not the disposable jobs) napkins, cutlery, crockery, body boards, surf boards, inflatable boats, wind breaks ( bigger than any I have seen on sale locally), wet suits, parasols, towels that are the size of blankets etc etc etc.

Aye, but did they take their rubbish home wi' them?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 plumbing pol

hi all some very interesting comments some stupid iam from co down. myself my wife and our four kids go to donegal every year sometimes twice a year and yes we sometimes bring our shopping but if we are staying for two weeks and our acommadation costs over €1000 and six mouths to feed every saving helps if you were ever in sainsbury's carpark in newry where southern reg cars out number the northern you would know we all like to save money.weve been going to donegal for 12 years we love it the kids never want to go any where else we spend money in the shops,pubs,restaurants,hotels,bandbs,petrol stations and vistor attractions.The thought that some people might not want us in there area saddens me but that kind of thinking can be found everywhere as can bad driving just look at the road deaths in this country north and south as for the rubbish any time we go to the recycling bins in doiri beaga they are full to overflowing and end up sometimes driving to clochan liath to the recycling bins there.When the suns shining ther is no place on earth like Gaeltacht Thir Chonaill!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Walking thru Donegal town today an saw alot of northerners down for the 12th, and thought just how good are they for the economy? (remembered seeing a group of (seemingly) affluent 50 year olds in a hotel bar in killybegs a few years ago sneaking drink out of a handbag)

so this is how we should evaluate everything now? How good are the Northeners, Southerners, Americans, Germans, Swiss, Russians etc. for the economy? Maybe we should question how good the gross over-supply of hotels in the country is for the economy.. you mentioned witnessing someone sneaking drink from a bag in a hotel bar, well ask yourself this, how many bottles of spirits have been sneaked over the border from N.I. to supply certain hotels & bars in the South?

p.s. Through

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

I love this thread.

With each rant I read I try to identify the target hate group.
    So far I have identified; daytrippers, relatively well heeled holiday home owners, caravan park residents, house renter folk, folk with ADSA bags, disposable barbie and nappy folk (oopps, dangerous territory there, that might have been my hated group) people driving Northern registered cars, bad drivers and general strangers.

Who's next, the Beaker Folk who left those messy charcoal layers and middens in the sand dunes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

so this is how we should evaluate everything now? How good are the Northeners, Southerners, Americans, Germans, Swiss, Russians etc. for the economy? Maybe we should question how good the gross over-supply of hotels in the country is for the economy.. you mentioned witnessing someone sneaking drink from a bag in a hotel bar, well ask yourself this, how many bottles of spirits have been sneaked over the border from N.I. to supply certain hotels & bars in the South?

p.s. Through

1. How good are things for the economy is how most things are judged, or why do you think cigarettes & alcohol are still legal?

2. Oversupply of hotels/rooms = lower price per night

3. If you want to know people's opinions on hotels/bars buying bottles of spirits in the North perhaps you might start a thread to find out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

1. How good are things for the economy is how most things are judged, or why do you think cigarettes & alcohol are still legal?

2. Oversupply of hotels/rooms = lower price per night

3. If you want to know people's opinions on hotels/bars buying bottles of spirits in the North perhaps you might start a thread to find out...

maybe you should start a thread on this statement :pac: Im not even going to get into No. 2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The thought that some people might not want us in there area saddens me but that kind of thinking can be found everywhere as can bad driving just look at the road deaths in this country north and south as for the rubbish any time we go to the recycling bins in doiri beaga they are full to overflowing and end up sometimes driving to clochan liath to the recycling bins there.When the suns shining ther is no place on earth like Gaeltacht Thir Chonaill!!!

You and your family are the exact type we want to visit our county, my gripe is with the day trippers who take over the beaches & roads and leave nothing behind but their rubbish. I'm not tarring all NI people the same, just those that deserve it.

CJC999 wrote: »
    take over the beaches & roads
    Damn! The bastards will be taking over the air space next when they start using planes and helicopters :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

muffler wrote: »
    Damn! The bastards will be taking over the air space next when they start using planes and helicopters :D

They already have http://www.donegal.ie/DCC/iplaninternet/internetenquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=1140266 :D

Advertisement