Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9.30PM Weather this evening 12/7

Options
  • 12-07-2011 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭

The graphics crashed just before Evelyn Cusack came on air and so there was no graphics at all on this forecast.I was wondering why there was so many ad's between the news and weather.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭LimerickBishop

She should be sacked. She's inept and incompetent. Computer crashed.....the dog ate my homework type of excuse. She often doesn't complete her forecast in time, cutting cut off mid sentence. Maybe she doesn't give a **** about her job, so get someone in who does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

She should be sacked. She's inept and incompetent. Computer crashed.....the dog ate my homework type of excuse. She often doesn't complete her forecast in time, cutting cut off mid sentence. Maybe she doesn't give a **** about her job, so get someone in who does.

Ah in fairness she did all that she could lol, it's so Irish though, "sure I'll just talk you through it while we reboot the computer!!!" Haha, it's like something you'd see on the D'unbelievables with their "Garda Patrol" skit lmfao!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ah in fairness she did all that she could lol, it's so Irish though, "sure I'll just talk you through it while we reboot the computer!!!" Haha, it's like something you'd see on the D'unbelievables with their "Garda Patrol" skit lmfao!!!

Didnt see it but I can assume it was a technical issue.

So Irish gets to me a bit though - mess ups happen every where - although rarely.

At least those presenters had graphics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I dont get why rte do the weather live, surely it would be easier and better to record it 15 minutes earlier and these type of **** ups can be avoided.

• Advertisement

RTE don't do it live since Evelyn would require about 40 takes before she completes it error free and by that time it would be 10pm, too late for broadcasting.

Correction - Won't do it live

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭traecy1

I don't agree. Evelyn regularly gives better detail in her forecasts and explains things for people like me who want to learn more about the weather. It's clear she's a weather enthusiast. John Eagleton was another who always tried to explain things in the short time they have to give a forecast, pity he's gone from the tv forecasts. I hope they never take the weather forecast presentations away from qualified meteorologists.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

traecy1 wrote: »
    I don't agree. Evelyn regularly gives better detail in her forecasts and explains things for people like me who want to learn more about the weather. It's clear she's a weather enthusiast. John Eagleton was another who always tried to explain things in the short time they have to give a forecast, pity he's gone from the tv forecasts. I hope they never take the weather forecast presentations away from qualified meteorologists.

Completely agree with this. Evelyn is the best we have by a long shot. She is very informative and very competent at delivering a forecast. And to deliver a forecast without graphics like she did tonight - Top Marks Evelyn. Keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

get a grip,she's one of the better forcasters we have,asking for her to be sacked because the graphics didnt work :eek:,i suppose they all should be sacked if they get the forcast wrong over your house aswell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

LimerickBishop clearly has some issues to be worked out, possibly with tissues and Jean on a loop!

No Mike, you're wrong, I got no issues with Jean Byrne, I don't care what she wears or how she looks, but I admire her professionalism and I notice she rarely makes errors nor runs over her allotted time unlike Cusack.

delw wrote: »
    get a grip,she's one of the better forcasters we have,asking for her to be sacked because the graphics didnt work :eek:,i suppose they all should be sacked if they get the forcast wrong over your house aswell

Yeah? One of our best? Well who is she better than then?

No Mike, you're wrong, I got no issues with Jean Byrne, I don't care what she wears or how she looks, but I admire her professionalism and I notice she rarely makes errors nor runs over her allotted time unlike Cusack.

You missed my quip apparently but moving swiftly on, do you remember how Jean Byrne used to gulp to air halfway through pretty much every second sentence?

mike65 wrote: »
    You missed my quip apparently but moving swiftly on, do you remember how Jean Byrne used to gulp to air halfway through pretty much every second sentence?

Mike, I care not for your quips or puns or issues with tissues. Gulps? I don't remember them being off putting. At least it shows she's taking her job seriously, and not sounding like Cusack, who appears to me to take a couldn't care less approach to broadcasting.

Nighty night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If she didn't take her job seriously, why does she go to the bother of explaining weather processes to the viewing public. Also I seem to recall her mentioning public meteorological events that viewers might be interested in attending.
    All this hardly tallies with the depiction of someone who is indifference to public broadcasting.
    Personally, aside from her wishing the cold weather would end last December:pac:, i think she is a great forecaster. Anyway it seems you're not going to change your view on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I noticed they played the ads straight after the news bulletin ending. I was wondering did I miss the weather. The weather broadcast then came on and she opologised for the delay. She was hoping for the computer to be rebooted in time but unfortunetly it wasn't to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

It's laughable that someone would want to blame Evelyn Cusack for a technical error that happened during a live broadcast, but then again, people also like to blame MET Eireann for bad weather so I guess it's not surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭squonk

I didn't see the forecast but technical problems can and will happen. Well done to Ev for carrying on. I really don't know what kind of a bee you have in your bonnet LimerickBishop but I like what the Met people do and I am delighted they're actually presenting forecasts instead of some skinny dollybird straight out of meeja college who is reading from a script.

Get a grip and lay off Ev. she's a great presenter. she mightn't be the most polished but we watch the weather for information and to learn something and she's great at that. Case closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

People still watch the weather forecast on ME? I read a better more informatve one from MT right here.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

squonk wrote: »
    I didn't see the forecast but technical problems can and will happen. Well done to Ev for carrying on. I really don't know what kind of a bee you have in your bonnet LimerickBishop but I like what the Met people do and I am delighted they're actually presenting forecasts instead of some skinny dollybird straight out of meeja college who is reading from a script.

Get a grip and lay off Ev. she's a great presenter. she mightn't be the most polished but we watch the weather for information and to learn something and she's great at that. Case closed!

well said!! could I just add - I think Ev is the most polished of the lot in terms of quality forecast and info delivery.... she delivers a top quality forecast consistently and would rank her number 1 of the 4 main TV news forecasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Can't understand why Evelyn's ability is being questioned here - Just a question: If the graphics failed for Brian Dobson - would we question his ability as a newsreader and would many newscasters/presenters carry on unaffected without their graphics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Didn't see the broadcast in question, but after reading all the comments posted I'm at a loss as to what all the fuss is about.

Unclear as to what caused the issue from reading the posts, but fair play to Evleyn for being able to carry on and delivering a forecast with a technical issue.

A technical issue no way calls in to question a forecasters (or presenters for that matter) ability. Its how they cope in such a situation that matters and from reading the posts, Evelyn was totally professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Evelyn is the best forecaster we have and the majority of sane people will share this view.
    To blame her for a tech issue is absurd.
    To be fair all the Met Eireann people are quite good, though I do disagree with their forecasts from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

at least Ulrika Jonsson had enjoyed it last night 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

There are the usual few, and now LimerickBishop, on here whose main goal is bad-mouthing ME. We know who they are. Some only post if it's to negatively comment about, say, the radar, but now even since that's been improved, they won't acknowledge it.

Bishop, I think your congregation here have spoken up against you and you should consider your position for the good of the diocese!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Evelyn for President :D

• Advertisement

First of all I'm entitled to my opinion as much as anyone is.

Secondly, I don't have any problem with Met Eireann as an organisation, and I'm not one of these idiots who blames them for bad weather.

Thirdly, to claim you must be insane not to admire E.C. is complete nonsense.

Fourthly, I would be delighted if someone could perform Statistical Analysis on errors made by M.E. presenters.

I never realised E.C. had such a hard core following, they say you learn something new everyday, and while I did learn that E.C. messed up another broadcast, it wasn't a new experience for me.

Advertisement