Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Practicle Enlightenment!!

• 12-07-2011 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

What is enlightenment anayway? what if one focused on areas that elevated quality of life? That way a 'guru' could be any good career coach, business advisor, book or activity that may impact positively the quality of ones life. Healing is part of the journey for many and possibly the need for help in this area. there are many ways and things that contribute to greater quality of life that dont need to be polished in religon or given titles such as 'Spiritual'. Has a rock concert or sport event ever given you a 'High' a buzz - is that not a spiritual experience if we choose to name it so? What is enlightenment for you???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

enlightenment "for me" is freedom from the belief of self, complete freedom, not just conceptually understanding that the "you" is just an idea, but actually seeing it first hand.

And yea your right , the word spiritual sucks imo.

And actually I like your example, when at a rock concert, you are completely focused on reality , that moment right there, that is seeing things the way they are, as oppose to self perception,but if you decide to have a look at the fact that self is just a thought, then there is no need for rock concerts etc to get that "high".

Does that mean you stop going? Absolutely not , they're fun, but they no longer become the means to happiness and content or escape.

I went to Foo Fighters to the other night and thought it was bloody fantastic, loved it , absolutely loved it, im a big fan, and yea I loved talking about it after and watching youtube vids of it etc, but there was a certain content there since, because I didnt "need" to dwell on it as the memory that makes me content.

Look at the fact that you dont exist and then there is no need for those thoughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

wylo wrote: »
    And actually I like your example, when at a rock concert, you are completely focused on reality , that moment right there, that is seeing things the way they are, as oppose to self perception,but if you decide to have a look at the fact that self is just a thought, then there is no need for rock concerts etc to get that "high".

Does that mean you stop going? Absolutely not , they're fun, but they no longer become the means to happiness and content or escape.

I went to Foo Fighters to the other night and thought it was bloody fantastic, loved it , absolutely loved it, im a big fan, and yea I loved talking about it after and watching youtube vids of it etc, but there was a certain content there since, because I didnt "need" to dwell on it as the memory that makes me content.

Look at the fact that you dont exist and then there is no need for those thoughts.

You lucky feck! 5 times live ive seen them and really wanted see them at oxegen. Their my favourite band.

How ruthless truth going for ya?

Galway K9 wrote: »
    You lucky feck! 5 times live ive seen them and really wanted see them at oxegen. Their my favourite band.

How ruthless truth going for ya?
    Likewise, I ****ing LOVE them, saw them 11 years ago as well lol

RT is good, its nice taking people out of the depths of despair and showing them reality for the first time in their life, although most people are quite happy going into RT, I know I was, heres a quote from a guy I helped recently...

part of his initial post talking about depression/no hope etc:
    In that case, I think my best option is becoming a really bad citizen and then ending the climax with suicide. But in my meaningless stupor, I don't even have the energy to try. Then there is that tinge of hope that maybe there really is some Ultimate Truth, but I hate hope. It's such a worthless feeling.

when asked after cracking it about his initial post:

Honestly, my original post looks like complete nonsense. It's looks like somebody looking for validation. I don't see anyone there to validate now, so the original post no longer has meaning.

THATS why I do this ****, theres plenty more where that came from.
    And now that same guy is helping others! Sweet!

Sorry for mentioning you in that thread (although I used a difference username), I was complimenting your personality, I just was stating that I wouldnt be able to have the same conversation with you because it kind of means you'd have to drop the Tolle concepts.

Thanks wylo :)

Its an amazing thing to help people :) A gift actually.

Off topic: Get the "Foo Fighters - Back and Forth DVD " Its unbelievable! I mean it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

JMannie wrote: »
    What is enlightenment anyway? what if one focused on areas that elevated quality of life? That way a 'guru' could be any good career coach, business adviser, book or activity that may impact positively the quality of ones life. Healing is part of the journey for many and possibly the need for help in this area. there are many ways and things that contribute to greater quality of life that don't need to be polished in religion or given titles such as 'Spiritual'. Has a rock concert or sport event ever given you a 'High' a buzz - is that not a spiritual experience if we choose to name it so? What is enlightenment for you???
    For me enlightenment is awakening to the reality of this universe by spiritual upliftment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

For me it is the abandonment of the "me" :D and a step before Yoga :)

I wouldnt even consider it abandonment, more like seeing it was never there in the first place.

wylo wrote: »
    I wouldnt even consider it abandonment, more like seeing it was never there in the first place.

Hey Wylo,

I heard RT is starting to charge or something like that??? Dont knwo the validity of the rumour tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

padma wrote: »
    For me it is the abandonment of the "me" :D and a step before Yoga :)

It's all about perception one conceive...

• Advertisement

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Hey Wylo,

I heard RT is starting to charge or something like that??? Dont knwo the validity of the rumour tho.

No basically theres been changes , firstly, some people from RT have set up their own site (with the support of everyone else from RT) that is more directed at the spiritual community ( Ive a post in the resources section about that). These people are way more clued in with that community, and have liberated doctors, buddhist ministers, lifetime seekers, and all sorts.

This allows the rest of us to get away from the spiritual community. Its just an area that I know little about tbh. And the same applies to alot of us.

It also means we dont have to get into the whole pointless "Im more enlightened than you" argument. If you've nothing to compare it to , you cant say its "not enlighenment" if you get me. Because whenever you use the E word people get so ridiculously sceptical.

Ask anyone here that is actually awakened, and they will tell you its not what you expect. I wouldnt go back for a billion euro, but its still not what you'd expect.

And then RT will be taken down and a new site set up that is strictly targeted at personal development/non spiritual community. A sort of self help, but being cautious to remind people its not a cure, more of a tool.
    There'll be alot more responsibility , i.e. disclaimers (e.g. it doesnt make an insane person sane etc), and alot of after care and post liberation support. There already is through facebook groups anyway.

Liberation can be a bumpy ride at times, it smoothens out after a few months, but it would be irresponsible to free people and just leave them hanging.
    The turbulence comes from the expectation that you will always feel

But I think the charging part will come from the concept of open source like Linux.
    The forum/process itself will obviously be free. And all the literature that people write about deepening etc will also be free,but if you want there'll be an option to buy the literature as well, through a proper printed book or whatever.

If I thought that there was situation where people had no choice but to pay for something to improve themselves Id wave goodbye to the whole thing tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Corkgirl210

Faith is a process of struggle between opposites light and darkness, hot and cold, suffering and pleasure. Nothing can exist without the unenlightened soul locked in the wheel of Karma and faith is the key to open the door of hope and grow ...

Total enlightenment is when you are 100% perfect and therefore return to source..

We therefore practice enlightenment every day... always growing... what you learned yesterday you learn more about tomorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

JMannie wrote: »
    What is enlightenment for you???

A state of being wherein one is completely honest with oneself at all times without having to force it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

I think Siddartha Gautama ("the Buddha") said it was "the end of suffering"

It is the end of of suffering, because it reveals and exposes the blur of thought and the utter insanity of suffering that derives from that blur.
    As time progesses the blur stops creating any thoughts that induce suffering, the mind effectively gives up at creating those thoughts.
    Thinking that you are controlling thought and then believing that thought is the opposite of enlightenment.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

I give myself a tough time over not achieving what "I" want to achieve. Procrastinating etc. What happens when I lose the "I"-what happens to these feelings? Do I just sit around?!

you wont lose any "I" cause theres nothing even to lose, the point being, there will be a realization of no "I" in the first place, and the direct experience/understanding of the illusion of I.

As for your question,
    If you're not achieving what you want to achieve, whether you give yourself a hard time for it or not is irrelevant. I used think that too, that if you are falling back on your goals you must feel unpleasant , cause if you dont where will the motivation come from?

Then I realized , from my personal experience, that that is a whole load of nonsense, that the drive and want to succeed does not have to relate to being unhappy ,at all. I used to think they went hand in hand.
    i.e. if you are procrastinating and giving yourself a hard time, you are STILL procrastinating!!

So if you see there's no I, and you were a lazy bloke, you'll probably still be a lazy bloke, its not going to make EXTRA lazy, unless you are prone to that, but maybe the opposite will happen, you'll see your own excuses in a clear cut manner with no bull**** attached and that will be enough to get you up off your ass, because you'll instantly KNOW they are excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Corkgirl210

I am reading the twelve pathways to human potential.. (path to enlightenment)

Brilliant read.. dan millman wrote it.

Enlightenment = IMHO is to know oneself, mentally, emotionally, spiritually etc.. experience, learn and grow.. you can only become enlightened if you grow & change.. only when you are truly 100% enlightened do you return to source (nirvana)

Punch through this,

And challenge every single opinion and belief that you've ever held, ANYTHING that invokes a reaction, look and examine it all thoroughly, compare your story to whats true, and try and break it down to real clarity, then your mind will open up to some serious peace and nothingness.
    You'll see that all things like jealousy , bitterness, anger, fear, resentment, embarasment, nerves, lack of content, ALL of it, is your own problems and has nothing do do with anyone else. And all of it is just lies and ego based behavior, lies that you've told yourself over the years, lies you've become addicted to, that were conditioned into you, and can be broken out of you.

Advertisement