Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with network share

Options
  • 12-07-2011 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have a system runnig server2008 standard edition
    Shown in the 2 screenshots are the network shares that i have set up on it
    Up until today I had no problem accessing any of the shared folders.

When i try to double click on the Music Folder i get the error shown, I can access all the other shares no problem.

Its the same if i try to access them from any machine on my network

I have tried a few things

Accessing the folder using the servers ip address using \\192.168.x.x\music

Tried removing the shared properties on the folder and re adding them

I checked the share properties on the other folders to make sure they were the same

I also tried just using an 8 port switch instead of my dd-wrt router to rule that out

All suggestions appreciated

PS , You'd think studying Network+ this year , That i couldnd figure this out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This is a strange one, is there any chance someone else could have changed the security permissions on that folder (even though you have tried to re -share it?

Right click on the folder - properties, security, check that the account your are trying to access the folder with has at least read permissions. Double check the share permissions as well.

http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/Understanding_Windows_Server_2008_File_and_Folder_Ownership_and_Permissions

I'll ask for more details/clarification if that doesnt sort it.
    (this is strange though, someone would have had to have changed something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Your right , the only way this could happen is if someone changed something

The problem with that theory is that I am the only person that I am the only one that has access to set anything up on the server.

Everyone is set to have access to the shares , full control .

Dont know what has changed , the only thing i can do is move the files to a new folder and set up a new share and setup new mapped drives , not a huge deal but i know i shouldnt have to do it , there is 200gb worth of files in it so it might take a while to move it.

kippy wrote: »
    This is a strange one, is there any chance someone else could have changed the security permissions on that folder (even though you have tried to re -share it?

Right click on the folder - properties, security, check that the account your are trying to access the folder with has at least read permissions. Double check the share permissions as well.

http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/Understanding_Windows_Server_2008_File_and_Folder_Ownership_and_Permissions

I'll ask for more details/clarification if that doesnt sort it.
    (this is strange though, someone would have had to have changed something

Sorted
    Under securty there was 2 unknown accounts showing for some reason

Removed them and added in permissions for everyone and can now access the folder again

And heres me thinkin i know it all eh

Cheers

Sorted
    Under securty there was 2 unknown accounts showing for some reason

Removed them and added in permissions for everyone and can now access the folder again

And heres me thinkin i know it all eh

Cheers

Unknown accounts - thats pretty strange if you are the only one with access to change anything and the older folders havent been effected.
    Is your server accessible by anyone else/visible to the internet?
    Glad to hear the issue was a NTFS security issue but you should delve a bit more into it in case someone else has access to you machine.

Yes I will check it out

Though there should be no access to it from the internet ,its not in a DMZ or anything , it actually sits behind 2 firewalls/NAT's

Its a home server for file storage , there is no Domain controller or DNS set up or anything like that

• Advertisement

Yes I will check it out

Though there should be no access to it from the internet ,its not in a DMZ or anything , it actually sits behind 2 firewalls/NAT's

Its a home server for file storage , there is no Domain controller or DNS set up or anything like that

Had you installed any extra software on the server just before the issue began? Third party software or roles withing server 2008 even?

Not that i remember to be honest

The last program installed was a utorrent client

Not that i remember to be honest

The last program installed was a utorrent client
    Did you set your "music" share up as a directory in the preferences?

in uTorrent??

in uTorrent??

yep

• Advertisement

Cant see how it would affect anything to do with network shares , its simply a folder on a drive :)

Cant see how it would affect anything to do with network shares , its simply a folder on a drive :)

Well, you utorrent uses folders to store completed downloads, temp downloads and a couple of other folders - just trying to figure out if you added this music folder to utorrent for whatever reason (in preferences) - Trying to figure out why there were two unknown accounts added in under security of that folder.
    If no one else has access to the machine you had to have changed the permissions, either knowingly or (in this case) unknowingly via some software/role install or other means.
    I doubt utorrent is to blame, especially if you didnt change any of the preferences.
    If you're not too worried about getting to the cause of the issue there's no point looking into it more. If it were me I would be trying to figure out what happened in case it:
    1. Is malicious.
    2. Happens again - this time with more far reaching consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Just read through the thread - glad to hear it was a permissions issue and you didn't have the hassle of transferring files :)

I'd agree with kippy definitely run a malware check for safetys sake and try to get to the bottom of it....I'm a bit perplexed by it and on a personal level I'd need to know!

Same as paul . I cant figure out what happend but I discovered today that the remote desktop was turned off on the server
    So im looking into it more

Running a few scans on it as we speak

There could be some malware on it as all our files are stored on it and as you know torrented files can have rubbish in them

Advertisement