Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dare to wear ...what's your threshold ?

• 12-07-2011 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Let's assume for a minute you just spent 20 k (or more) on that grail watch you always wanted ...would you actually dare to wear it?

And by wear I mean on a normal day with normal activities, sharp edges, inconsiderate people, abrasive surfaces looming at every corner.

Me ...I'm an absolute stingy cheapskate :D
    Any sign of usage or wear on a watch above say aroundabout 250 Euro would drive me DEMENTED.

So no, I wouldn't wear anything above that threshold ...and being stingy I don't even buy (yet :D) above that threshold.
    (because what's the point in buying something you don't dare to use?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I would not wear my grail watch every day. Like you I'd be concerned about knocks and scraps. That's why I'd have lots of others to chose from for every day wear.

Unless of course I'd won the Euro millions and then I wouldnt really care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I would not wear my grail watch every day. Like you I'd be concerned about knocks and scraps. That's why I'd have lots of others to chose from for every day wear.

Unless of course I'd won the Euro millions and then I wouldnt really care.

I would not wear my Grail to work but after that anything goes. I am no fussy about things like that. I buy things to use and enjoy. I only have one watch that I don't wear and it's a collectors piece. Limited edition of 88 and tbh not that comfy.
    But it is not down to price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Yep I'd wear it. If you can afford to buy it you can afford servicing/repairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

I'd wear it. Not if I was working on a building site or anything where I knew it was likely to pick up a knock, but general day to day absolutely! That's like buying your dream car and keeping it in the garage :p

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flashwatches

I think it is all relative.

If you have a €20,000 watch, chances are you don't work on a building site, and all the "work" it will see is in a boardroom or in the back seat of a bently so not really going to get that many scratches. So if I was in that position I would probably have no problem wearing it all the time.

As it turns out I do not have any if the above :D but I do have some nice watches that I do not want to scratch so I wear my "beater" when at work, and wear the good ones when they are not going to get wrecked.

The one thing I don't like are safe queens, I just don't see the point of buying a watch and keeping it locked up in a safe. If you are only going to look at it, you'd be better off just going to your high end watch shop and looking at one there. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i wear my gmt2c or iwc portuguese most days to work, but im a desk jockey and very protective of my watches

id never buy something and not wear it tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Don't see the point of buying a watch and not wearing it; that said I did buy a NOS Heuer stopwatch for which I have no earthly use. All of the other pieces I wanted from that auction (1961 Monaco, Carrera and Autavia) ended up outside my bidding range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

My most expensive watch (well over the €250 mark) is also the one I wear nearly 100% of my waking hours.

Though I have started taking it off (and wearing a cheapo) while doing the grass, working around the garden/car and cycling etc :)

After all...I bought it to tell me the time....it's no use to me in a box somewhere :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

can we have a reply from the mcgonicle owner please :)

Advertisement