Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being charged for the fire brigade to come out?!

• 12-07-2011 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

(oh for the record of mods I think AH is a better place for this as its a discussion of things)

But I was reading a thread in the Emergency Services section and it appears (something I never knew :confused:) that in certain counties in Ireland you get charged for the fire brigade to come out and put out a fire :eek:

One women in particular got charged 350 euro to put out a chimley fire.

Am I the only one who finds this mental? Are taxes becoming less about paying for services and showing nothing for it?

we've got water taxes (and the areas that already dont are going to)
    we've got road taxes.
    we've got VAT.
    ... i could go on. we've practually got tax on everything.

Thoughts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

*looks at OP's username*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

You pay for ambulances too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

its common,but oddest part it's not a universal charge,depending on where you live you could pay more or less,most recent article-

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/huge-differences-revealed-in-fees-for-fire-callouts-2364636.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

I love that you said "chimley". :D And yeah, it's ridiculous. Think the Joe Duffy Brigade were on this topic before but nothing seems to have come of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

*looks at OP's username*

hey,
    i feel for the people who I burn down ok!!!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would assume that if you have caused the fire through negligence they'll charge you for "wasting" their time.
    Also they saved the house and possibly other properties, 350 is kinda cheap then.

edit, good link Geese_Howard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Thoughts?
    I hate threads that end with 'thoughts?' or 'discuss'.

Oh & apparently a friend of a friend of a friend was charged €900 for a chimney fire call out :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Our estate has wasteground surrounding it and there have been three cars burned out by the local scum joyriders in recent months.

Surely they charge the property owner, not the person who reported it, right?
    Or I'll be thinking twice before I call 999 and give my name on a recorded line

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Millicent wrote: »
    I love that you said "chimley". :D And yeah, it's ridiculous. Think the Joe Duffy Brigade were on this topic before but nothing seems to have come of it.

How much do they charge for a call out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I believe that if you call them for somebody else's house, you get charged. I called an ambulance once, form the phone of a man who had been in a car accident. They took all my details but never came back to charge me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

To save money

Blast em with píss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

phasers wrote: »
    You pay for ambulances too.

No you dont. You pay the A&E charge if you dont have a medical card but you dont have to pay for the ambulance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

For that price, I'd almost be better off taking it on meself.

Though, wouldn't home insurance cover something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

we got charged 4000 for the firebriagade to come out when our hay shed went onfire and they didnt even put it out. just stop it spreading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭stevejr

I've heard that with all the cut backs now that if you ring the fire brigade...they'll courier you a complimentary Super-Soaker...

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

Ridiculous that you get charged for a fire brigade. The lazy twats are sitting on their holes all day getting paid to do nothing, and then when they are actually needed there is a surcharge. Itd be the same as if the guards started charging to people to call out when they are needed. Or the postman charging you for bringing letters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Get out.

Stay out.

Get the Fire Brigade out.

(Then get your wallet out.)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

i think you can avoid it by calling the guards first and get them to call the fire birgade. probably bad use of emergency services though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

i think you can avoid it by calling the guards first and get them to call the fire birgade. probably bad use of emergency services though..

If you can avoid getting stung for a charge for having people do what they are paid for, it sounds like a good idea to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

'No pay, no spray' policy in America.

A rural Tennessee fire chief says Obion County firefighters are being unduly demonized for letting a man's home burn because he hadn't paid a $75 municipal fee.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39535911/ns/us_news-life/t/no-pay-no-spray-case-firefighters-threatened/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

I believe that if you call them for somebody else's house, you get charged. I called an ambulance once, form the phone of a man who had been in a car accident. They took all my details but never came back to charge me.

No you don't get charged if you call the brigade out for someone else. "Ambulance charges" are not levied by the ambulance service itself (i.e. we don't bill people directly), but are charged by some hospitals in the event of an RTA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

coolmoose wrote: »
    No you don't get charged if you call the brigade out for someone else. "Ambulance charges" are not levied by the ambulance service itself (i.e. we don't bill people directly), but are charged by some hospitals in the event of an RTA.

If there is a third party insurance claim involved in an RTA they will claim for everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

amandaf675 wrote: »
    we got charged 4000 for the firebriagade to come out when our hay shed went onfire and they didnt even put it out. just stop it spreading

That's quite silly, having your shed made out of hay

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

it's next to a wooden one and a brick one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

This isn't the time for strawman arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Ridiculous that you get charged for a fire brigade. The lazy twats are sitting on their holes all day getting paid to do nothing, and then when they are actually needed there is a surcharge. Itd be the same as if the guards started charging to people to call out when they are needed. Or the postman charging you for bringing letters.
    That's a bit much. They're hardly lazy twats. I think the ambulance service for most of Dublin is operated by the fire brigade. Just because there's no fire, doesn't mean they aren't working. Who do you think cuts the victims out of crashed cars etc.

They save lives every day, not necessarily through fire fighting, and in my opinion deserve nothing but respect.(obviously there are Dickheads, but that's the same in every walk of life)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Who pays for callouts?

If I'm walking down the street and see a house fire and call it in, do I pay, do the occupants of the house pay or does the landlord pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Chimley? :D:D:D

Is the OP in pre-school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

easyeason3 wrote: »
    apparently a friend of a friend of a friend was charged €900 for a chimney fire call out :eek:
    LighterGuy wrote: »
    One women in particular got charged 350 euro to put out a chimley fire.

Which is better value?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Bally8 wrote: »
    No you dont. You pay the A&E charge if you dont have a medical card but you dont have to pay for the ambulance

Yes you do !!

had an RTA (Road Traffic Accident) a few years ago - single vehicle collision (tyre blew on me and I crashed car) .... an ambulance was transporting a patient from Dublin to Cork at the time, they took me in the ambulance and several weeks/months later a bill arrived for the ambulance.

I called them up and told them I was not the only person in the ambulance so they halved the bill....and I paid. (cant remember the amount)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Yes you do !!

had an RTA (Road Traffic Accident) a few years ago - single vehicle collision (tyre blew on me and I crashed car) .... an ambulance was transporting a patient from Dublin to Cork at the time, they took me in the ambulance and several weeks/months later a bill arrived for the ambulance.

I called them up and told them I was not the only person in the ambulance so they halved the bill....and I paid. (cant remember the amount)

Should have shopped arround

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Gophur wrote: »
    Chimley? :D:D:D

Is the OP in pre-school?

He was until he burned it down.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Having worked in an area that touched on this, ime charges, if any, vary from County to County, one incident of a tenant in a house of bedsits calling in a smell of gas (rural), they attended with his name & address as the complainant and he got the bill from the County Council. They were not interested in who owned the property but who they had the address for!! He paid €250!! Never heard of the ambulance charge...surely if you came on someone injured or a burning bulding you should not have to weigh up where you are and if you can afford the charges before getting appropriate help!! There are some who would just keep going:eek:

If your County are not doing this already they will be doing it after the next budget...each Council is given their budget for the year and must make it work, a monkey can tell they will be getting Sweet Feck all this year and they will root around in the other Council's to see what other revenue raising measures they use and hey presto we will all pay for ambulances and fire engines.

These decisions will be made by Councillor's voting locally and if you are against such charges..bend their ear!!!! As money gets tighter, fires will go unreported/the ill will be neglected for fear of charges...might solve the
    A&E Crises but it is an indication of how Ireland is going to be a very different place to live into the future!! Thin end of the wedge:rolleyes:

Wrong.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/emergency_health_services/ambulance_and_transport_services.html#l62fd2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

That's why you have insurance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

There is an ambulance charge. My sister was charged like 200 euro for needing an ambulance.

That's why you have insurance
    Except a lot of people don't, and even if you do claiming for something small like this would affect your no claims bonus so it's not really worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I believe that if you call them for somebody else's house, you get charged.

I believe its a tad irresponsible to spread roumers like this unless/until one knows what theyre actually talking about.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I remember one time part of our house went on fire and my mother rang the fire brigade in the closest town. They couldn't come because it was over the county line and so we had to ring another station and wait for them to come, then charge us, whereas the other county didn't have this charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

Every county council is different in regards to charges. BUT the common practice is the beneficial user of the service pays.

If you ring for your neighbours house on fire then the bill (if there is one, depending on the service) goes to your neighbour.

PLEASE : ring the 999 Fire service. The Gardai have enough to do and the fire service require different information and give different advice depending on the nature of the call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

I remember one time part of our house went on fire and my mother rang the fire brigade in the closest town. They couldn't come because it was over the county line and so we had to ring another station and wait for them to come, then charge us, whereas the other county didn't have this charge.

And you no longer ring the stations. 999 and they will connect you to the fire control for the province. Hence if you ring from a mobile they will ask where you are and what county etc. Cross county agreements are in place so the nearest station that is available will respond no matter what county they and you are in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

phasers wrote: »
    Except a lot of people don't, and even if you do claiming for something small like this would affect your no claims bonus so it's not really worth it.

It's only small if they put the fire out and the house doesn't burn down. If it's only small why call? Surely almost all householders have insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Outside of cities and with exception of one or two larger towns in Ireland, the fire service are retained part time. If they are "sitting on their holes" as your eloquent vocabulary put sit, then they aren't being paid. Even Bray hasn't a full time service.

I used to be on a retained service. One day we were called and the duty driver didn't show up. I drove and when we got there it was the duty driver's car on fire! And yes - he did get a bill.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

Well An Post charge the sender of the letter/packet isnt that enough. The fire brigade don't charge who started the fire lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

Its to stop bogus calls so they caller is charged.
    I think their line is that "your insurance should cover it".

Our neighbour was burning rubbish.... :rolleyes: During a dry time a few years ago. His whole acre went up.. Other neighbour called the gaurds first and got them to call the fire brigade to avoid having to pay the charge for something that wasn't even on his land.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

LighterGuy wrote: »
    we've got water taxes (and the areas that already dont are going to)
    we've got road taxes.
    we've got VAT.
    ... i could go on. we've practually got tax on everything.

I'm all in favour of a new tax on idiots. It would be based on a new unit of measurement called a tWat.

=>If you use 250 tWats/h, for example by not keeping your fireplace clean, or starting a fire in the dry season, you get charged accordingly when DFB is called.

=>If you crash you car after a DUI, that's another 200 tWats/h for the ambulance. You would of course get credited with 3000 tWats if you manage to remove yourself from the gene pool during the incident.

That would encourage less tWatage.

What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Oink wrote: »
    You would of course get credited with 3000 tWats if you manage to remove yourself from the gene pool during the incident.

Who would recieve the units since removal from the gene pool would mean death for oneself and no offspring ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Oink wrote: »
    What do you think?

I think we'll be out of the recession in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

The only way to do it is when you have call out the fire brigade is to give your neighbours details, even if it's your fire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There are only 2 exceptions to a charge for the Ambulance that I've heard of:

1) Medical Card
    2) Pregnant Women

• Advertisement
Advertisement