Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with mold

Options
  • 12-07-2011 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hope I've posted this on the right board

For the last 4-5 years I've been suffering with constant chest and nasal infections, around about the same time I moved into my apartment and I believe this is down to mould.
    Condensation has always been an issue but for sometime now there's been no apparent mould growing, however, I did have a problem with faulty taps in my bathroom which is next door to my bedroom about 4 years ago. Water spread from the bathroom, through the walls and got underneath the carpet in my room. I didn't think much of it at the time, dried it up and sorted out compensation for the faulty taps.
    I had a look at the ground underneath my carpet recently and found some brown patches around the floor. So I'm wondering now if this is some kind of fungus/mould and the source of my breathing problems.
    Has anyone ever had to get their air quality in an apartment checked or hired professionals to have mould removed?
    Any help on this would be really appreciated folks
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Try living somewhere else for a few weeks and see if it improves. Or if it improves when you are not working, maybe its your workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭daisyscience

You could get one of those dehumidifiers and see if much liquid collects, if theres loads it might be a sign that you still have a problem with damp.

Something similar happened at home and in the end we had to take put down new flooring. Its so difficult to get rid of mould!!!

Mould can definately make people sick. I lived in an apartment myself years ago that had severe mould and I was sick consantly. I was grand after I moved out though.

Dont take risks with your health!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

op are you opening windows etc? vents etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 holymolyHS

I've tried a few things. I have had a dehumidifier on before and it does collect an amount of water alright but not too much. At this time of the year it won't collect too much, mainly in winter
    There is a vent on the window itself but its pretty small and I don't think it gives much ventilation. I live in a ground floor apartment and therefore can't really leave the window open unless there's someone home.
    It seems to me that ventilation wasn't one of the builders main concerns when building these apartments. The bathroom for example has an extraction fan in the ceiling (I haven't a clue where the air goes to) with no windows or main air vents in the walls. There are a lot of mould spots around the walls and tiles but nothing that I would think was too bad or worse than most bathrooms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I thought my poorly ventilated bathroom was causing my coughs, I've repainted it and cleaned it down of mould about 3 or 4 times. But it keeps coming back. Its has no windows though. But I've since discovered my coughs seem to be triggered by the dry air from the AC at work. Ditto in the car.

Problem is a lot of building in the boom was sub standard, and has a lot of ventilation issues. Still if you can't open windows which is kinda of a given in our climate. You're going to have to move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

op would you consider moving, rooms not having direct light and then on top of that not even a natural air flow though a vent is ridiculous! if its ground floor, the bedroom should atleast have a proper vent...

Advertisement