Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babys is 3weeks old and already thinking of number two...

Options
  • 13-07-2011 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering if its normale to already be thinking about having another baby when my son is only 3wk old?? It doesn't seem very sane, even to me! But in all honesty, even though being a first time parent is a big responsibility and its hard at times, i enjoy it so much and love looking after him. I would also like him to have a sibling close in age... Has anyone got pregnant soon after giving birth (not thinking of right now by the way, but maybe in the next 6months) would u have preferred to wait longer or is it better to have them close together?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

qwertytlk wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if its normale to already be thinking about having another baby when my son is only 3wk old?? It doesn't seem very sane, even to me! But in all honesty, even though being a first time parent is a big responsibility and its hard at times, i enjoy it so much and love looking after him. I would also like him to have a sibling close in age... Has anyone got pregnant soon after giving birth (not thinking of right now by the way, but maybe in the next 6months) would u have preferred to wait longer or is it better to have them close together?
    It is normal to be brood just after having a baby :)
    I have 2 years between mine and would love them to be closer in age .
    I think the mammies age plays a big role in it too .

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I think it's recommended that there's a two year gap between the children to ensure the first gets nurtured properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 SeanFxx

Im sorry, not very helpful.

But I read the title as if you were talking about a "number 2" as in going to the toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Threads merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

SeanFxx wrote: »
    Im sorry, not very helpful.

But I read the title as if you were talking about a "number 2" as in going to the toilet.

If it's not helpful why post it? Do you speak everything you think?

Restrict yourself to helpful posts please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

I'm almost 16 weeks pregnant and my son is just gone 9 months. I'm not getting any younger and our first took us 8 months to conceive, although we did have a miscarriage along the way. I had been breast feeding and just had one cycle before we got pregnant this time. There will be a 15 month age gap between our two please god and we're delighted about that. I love the idea of them been so close in age.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lustrum

If it's any help, I've a brother who's 1 year 9 months older than me, there was then a mis-carried child before me, the next sister is 14 months younger and the last sister is 14 months younger again.

We're all mid-20s now and best of friends, it was great growing up with siblings so close in age. I have similar ideas as you OP about looking after them and enjoying it so much and will be hoping that mine will be so close growing up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

within mins of having my second boy i said to my hubby ' when can we have the next one' i was still in the labour ward . we waited a few months and i fell pregnant on the first try. There is 17 months between my boys. Ones starting S. infants and the other is starting J. Infants.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

lol
    you are as bad as me:)
    I was heavily pregnant on number 2 thinking about number 3:)
    I love kids though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

My son will be 2 and 3 months when this one is born, and I would have loved to have them closer together. I just wasn't ready physically until the first was around 12 months old, and then it took a little bit longer than I thought it would to fall pregnant the second time. If we do decide on having a #3, I don't think I'll wait as long. A friend of mine waits until the new baby is 7 months old and then goes for it - she has 3 under 3! I don't know if I could do it, but I see the benefits she gets from having them so close in age. A cousin has 4 boys under 4 :eek:, there's no more than 11 months between any of them. Madness, but lovely madness! I see both of them having at least 5 kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Ok well good to know im not totally loosing it! I spoke to a few girlfriends about it and one made a very good point, she said she had her second when her first was just coming into his terrible twos and teachings etc. She said it was hard as she didn't get to spend as much time with the new baby as she did with her first as her first was at quote a demanding stage in his development. Also she made the point that because her first baby was so good and was easily settled that she took it for granted that her second would be the same, but he was a screamer and later on he suffered from bad collic. She said she would have preferred to wait until her first had started school. I can see her point but on the plus side, apart from having them close in age so they can grow up together and play an look out for each other but also as the mother i would still be in baby mode and that would make it also easier on me too! Anyway think i will leave trying to get pregnant until my son is 6-12 months old. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

I think its completely normal. Ive actually been feeling guilty as its all ive been thinking of although my daughter is just 14 weeks. In fact its why I bought a Phil & Teds bugg ;) I think the high of giving birth and the overwhelming love that hits makes you so broody. I just cant believe I waited until I was 34 years to do this!!! When you're ready to do it again, you're ready :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

I was exactly the same as you as soon as I had my little girl I knew I wanted another straight away so I breastfeed for 3 months and got pregnant as soon as I stopped. There is 1 year and 1 week between my two girls and while it is tough going at the beginning it is wonderful now to see how close they are and they bring each other on and are just wonderful company for each other. So go for it if thats how you feel so many people thought I was mad but 2 years on we are all still alive and happy - Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

It really is a matter of opinion, and possibly also how well it goes with no1. My LO has just turned 9 mths and we decided to try for 2nd now. I'd would really like them to be close in age (and 3rd one eventually too, see thinking ahead!), but had told myself I would wait until the good nights sleep were a more frequent occurence before we went for it. Darling took her time but by 7half mths she got there, sleeps through the night every night (or nearly enough), and rested mammy is ready for the madness again!!! :eek:
    I think that so long as you give your body (and mind) the break it needs, I would rather keep at it while im still in that beat than wait for a couple of years and start alover again.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

From the title of the thread I thought it was one of two things:

(i) toilet related or
    (ii) you're baby was some kind of maths prodigy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

After my 3rd i got so so very broody.. we weren't even thinking about a 4th but s/he's on the way in 9/11weeks. I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes an obsession, ideally you should give at least 12 months for your body to recover from childbirth as you have a bigger risk of becoming anaemic.
    Congratulations ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

We were talking about this in work yesterday, we all have kids between 7 and 10 months. There is def some sort of hormonal thing that happens just after you give birth that make you want to be pregnant immediately. Even if the pregnancy was unplanned like mine, it still happens.

But it does wear off. At 10 months, I'm pretty much back to normal, settled into being a parent, looking forward to the day she goes into her own room! It does wear off but there it is so strong for the first few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

I have 14 months between my children, I found out I was pregnant on the second the day the first one turned 6 months. It was very hard at times, exhausting and stressful. I also think that my second boy didn't get as much attention as he maybe deserved, but, they are best friends and have so much fun together. They are 3.5 and coming up to 2.5 now. I don't regret the age gap at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Laviniagrsw

When pregnant with my first child we decided we'd have a second child straight away as we wanted them to be close in age. We waited until our son was 3months old and then started trying, got pregnant in the first month so my son was 13months old when our daughter was born.

I found that everything went perfectly, the only 'not great' bit was when I was 8 months pregnant my son was 12months and he was literally running everywhere!!! Found it a bit tough to keep up with him. But hey, I always figured it'd have been just as hard no matter how old he was, he'd still be escaping me!

My children are now heading for their 3rd and 4th birthdays and everything has worked out great, all the bottles are long since finished and no more nappy changing either, they don't stay babies for long!!

We have just decided to go again, hopefull start trying to conceive in about 6/8wks time. This time i'm actually more concerned about how big the gap is between them!

You will know yourself if it's right for you and your partner or not, everybody is different and has different experiences. Best of Luck with whatever you decide to do.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Another mother with a small age gap. My two are about 14 months apart. After our youngest I was certain that was it but now (she is 9 weeks old) I am thinking that one more would be great but I would not like a gap smaller than the one we had as I do feel that my son missed out on a bit of mummy time as I was very sick at the end of the pregnancy with his sister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 martha34

When i was pregnant with my 1st, i decided to start trying again as soon as possible as i was already 35. It was 14 weeks before my period returned so we started again after this however then i had a smear test and that came back with severe abnormalities so had to get treatment for this so in all it was 9 months before we could try properly.
    Anyway i am now 24 weeks pregnant and my 1st is 16 months old and its tough going, i have bad hip pain, im massive big already compared to last time and having a toddler to look after is not easy but i wouldnt have it any other way but was saying to my mam yesterday, this will be my last!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SarahC11

im the same my baby is 6 weeks now and although i once said i never wanted kids now i want loads more! it mad how much ya actually think about it. my labor was pretty easy so i keep sayin ah yeah that was grand id defo do that again! i think going into labor an all that was real exciting an ya miss it when its all over, when i was in hospital after everytime i went by rooms where someone was in labor an id hear the heartbeat monitor thingys i got real sad and a lil jealous that my labor was over!!

Advertisement