Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading/Rewriting Access 2003 Database

Options
  • 13-07-2011 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have been tasked with helping a business owner fix his database. The database is 9 years old and he wants to upgrade/refresh. The problem is i have limited access and cannot get the database running on any other machine besides the ones in the office.

So i have two questions. Is there an easy way to export the database to a new database which will work on any machine? Or if not where would i find someone to take on this job?

The database is not that big. I can gain admin access from one of the machines but when i choose the backup database option and then try to use the database on my own machine nothing works.

Any help would be great as this is holding up other work i have to do at the office.

Mods please feel free to move the thread if i posted in the wrong place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

What type of database ?
    On what OS is running now and what OS you wanted transferred ?

Do you have any front-end running for that db or is a straight "access" link ?
    Do you want to upgrade the db itself OR move it in current format to another PC/Server ?

Have you tried going through Microsoft Technet articles !??

Location of the office... ?

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,

What type of database ?
    What version is database main application or file itself ?
    On what OS is running now and what OS you wanted transferred ?

Do you have any front-end running for that db or is a straight "access" link ?
    Do you want to upgrade the db itself OR move it in current format to another PC/Server ?

Location of the office... ?

Regards.

Its is a database for a small company with not many tables used for orders and sales and generating reports.
    I think its the main application.
    Running on XP and going onto XP
    Straight Access link.
    An upgrade/rewrite would be nice but if it can be moved as well that would be great.
    The office is in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

is tricky here...

i would start by cloning that physical machine (in to a virtual machine,if possible) so i would have a fresh start everytime...

then,looking at every possibility...
    -check if Access is same version on other PCs
    -check Application log in Event Viewer for any errors
    -do an upgrade to Access 2010 (after cloning) and see if the migration works.
    -use the current XP as a Remote Desktop 'Server'and leave it like that...
    -try import it in to SQL Server and see if that works fine ?
    -what error message you get on destination XP desktop ??

Dunno...hard without being there...

then,first step is to create a backup and move it to a proper datatabase format maybe!

Advertisement