Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meringue Nests - Reduce the amount of sugar???

Options
  • 13-07-2011 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

Mods, not sure which sub-section this should go into.........I currently use the Avoca recipe for Meringue nests (ie. 6 egg whites with 180g caster sugar beaten on high for 15 minutes, then gradually add in 180g light brown fine sugar over 5 - 10 minutes), but I'd really like to reduce the amount of sugar I'm using.......any ideas how drastically different things would taste if I halved the sugar???

would be grateful for any opinions.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The amount of sugar in that recipe is equal to 2 ounces per egg white and I've never seen a meringue recipe with less than that. I don't think it would work with less sugar, although there are a lot of serious bakers in the Cake & Pie forum and they'll know for sure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Baking is much more of a science than cooking is. It's all about chemical reactions. By all means, try reducing the sugar but the ratios are important in baking, so you may just end up with a mess on your hands. If you halve the sugar, basically, it won't work. I'm pretty sure you'd end up with flat, tasteless rocks. The sugar is used to stabilise the whisked eggs, which allows the protein to be more adhesive and hold air bubbles better. Half the sugar = half the air bubbles = rocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Faith wrote: »
    Baking is much more of a science than cooking is. It's all about chemical reactions. By all means, try reducing the sugar but the ratios are important in baking, so you may just end up with a mess on your hands. If you halve the sugar, basically, it won't work. I'm pretty sure you'd end up with flat, tasteless rocks. The sugar is used to stabilise the whisked eggs, which allows the protein to be more adhesive and hold air bubbles better. Half the sugar = half the air bubbles = rocks.

+1!

Advertisement