Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap and cheerful chicken recipe?

Options
  • 13-07-2011 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I hvea few friends coming around for dinner this evening and would like to cook something simple and as money is a tight, something reasonably inexpensive.

I have some baby potatoes so will do a simple potato salad and I have some chicken thighs as well.

Any ideas appreciated. I was thinking of one of those sachets that you simply shake on and pop in the oven.... I have not tried them but have been meaning to give them a go. Can anyone recommend them or should I leave well alone? :D

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Jamie Oliver has a gorgeous recipe for sticky roasted chicken thighs with baby potatoes & tomatoes, it really is lovely :) I never put the fresh oregano in when I make it, because I've never seen fresh oregano here & it's still really tasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Jamie Oliver has a gorgeous recipe for sticky roasted chicken thighs with baby potatoes & tomatoes, it really is lovely :) I never put the fresh oregano in when I make it, because I've never seen fresh oregano here & it's still really tasty

Oh, that looks soooo yum!!! I don't have most of the ingredients unfortunately in the house so it would mean forking out a bit more than I would like. But it looks delicious!!!

I have all the ingredients here for a potato salad which is why I wanted to do that as a side dish.

I have bookmarked that recipe though :D Thank you!! You can't really go wrong with Jamie!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Cooking & Recipes forum.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Lemon and Herb Roast Chicken with new potatoes, Mark Sargeant did this for the Perfect series on UKTV food and looked gorgeous!

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/644422

Toulouse wrote: »
    Lemon and Herb Roast Chicken with new potatoes, Mark Sargeant did this for the Perfect series on UKTV food and looked gorgeous!

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/644422

That's the one! I'll do this and report back how it turns out :)

Thanks a million!!

ETA: I think the 30min cooking time is not quite enough!!! Will do the chicken a bit longer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If you have a BBQ (you can still do it in the oven if you don't, but BBQ tastes great) spatchcocked chicken - marinade it in what you fancy.
    I usually serve it with potato salad, green salad, cous cous and bread. Can all be done for under a tenner and will serve about 6.

olaola wrote: »
    If you have a BBQ (you can still do it in the oven if you don't, but BBQ tastes great) spatchcocked chicken - marinade it in what you fancy.
    I usually serve it with potato salad, green salad, cous cous and bread. Can all be done for under a tenner and will serve about 6.

No BBQ am afraid as that would have been perfect in this weather!

Loving all the ideas for chicken. Thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I was thinking of one of those sachets that you simply shake on and pop in the oven.... I have not tried them but have been meaning to give them a go. Can anyone recommend them or should I leave well alone? :D

I had them a while back with Chicken thighs, they were lovely and juicy. Not mad spicey, but just right. Make sure before you serve them that you maybe get a spoon and mix the juices overthe chicken.

Hey there

Just reporting back to say the herb chicken was a big success :) The crushed potatoes were gorgeous, too. I added red onion as well and it produed a lovely sweet flavour.

I did the cherry tomato version and served it all on a a big platter. I can highly recommend it.

Pity I didn't make more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Any ideas appreciated. I was thinking of one of those sachets that you simply shake on and pop in the oven.... I have not tried them but have been meaning to give them a go. Can anyone recommend them or should I leave well alone? :D
    They are juicy, but I find them unpleasently salty. What I've decided to to in future is to get some roasting bags and put my own herbs in with the chicken; it's the same thing anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Thanks for the update, must try it myself now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

That's exactly the recipe I was going to recommend when I saw this thread title! It really is frickin amazing.

FYI, fresh marjoram can be subsituted for the oregano. I've never seen fresh oregano on sale here either, so I grow my own. Word of warning if you decide to do the same - keep it in a pot. It grows like a weed and will take over your whole bloody garden if you put it straight in the ground.

Advertisement