Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€36,000,000 wasted on British queen + US president

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

thats old news tbh,you hardly thought it cost nothing now did ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Complete waste of time and money imo.....especially in these times!

Looking forward to hearing all the bullshit to justify this! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We shall see what the tourism figures are like at the end of the year... that 36 million investment should make us a fortune :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

great unbiased OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

O' crap, not this stuff again! Seriously OP?
    Its time to move on.
    Whats done, is done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Zebra3 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/shock-over-euro40m-bill-for-queen-and-obama-visits-2819903.html

Good to see the government has its priorities right.

No money for hospitals and disabled kids, but enough money to invite and protect a war criminal from America and that old German cunt over.

I hope McAleese is delighted with her expensive "legacy". :rolleyes:

While I agree with the sentiments of your post, it does get tiresome when people use the "no money for hospitals and disabled kids" argument all the time.

You could say that in relation to anything that's not spent on hospitals or disabled kids!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Biggins wrote: »
    O' crap, not this stuff again! Seriously OP?
    Its time to move on.
    Whats done, is done.

Indeed, all threads this week are about walking down the street or the sex offenders register

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

We're tens of billions in debt to private European banks because our own private banks lost the head. 36 million is fcuk all in the scheme of things. Plus it was good pr for the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

That barman who short changed Obama is a patriot! Getting some of our money back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

Sorry I forget, how many billion did the UK give us in the bailout again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I like this clinky glass:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

They gave us a billion for each County of ours that they wrongfully occupy and then threw another billion in on top of that....for good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,933 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The British lent the Irish taxpayer money to cover private debts to ensure British banks didn't lose money.

How nice of them. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Nothing - they did lend us some money, but I expect they'll be wanting it back at some stage.

I don't mind that they are paid for at all, but I do mind that the final cost was nearly double the original budget, no? And that this was a surprise? What exactly are the ministers doing if they can't even get the ballpark figure right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

€36m is a small price to pay for a great future episode of Reeling in the Years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Wait, I just read the link - it was all spent on Garda overtime? Sweet gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The British lent the Irish taxpayer money to cover private debts to ensure British banks didn't lose money.

How nice of them. :rolleyes:

what did you think they were going to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Sure €30 million is what was estimated for the Queen's trip ages ago, it's just sensationalism by the rag that brought us such reporters as Aisling and that whore that slated Cork men.

Their visit to Ireland has already given us a lot of positive media coverage:
    The recent visits to Ireland by Queen Elizabeth II and President Barack Obama generated at least €298m worth of publicity through 37,795 separate print and broadcast pieces, according to research carried out by Kantar Media for Fáilte Ireland.

The research reveals that both high-profile visits generated enormous global exposure for Ireland as a tourism destination. The advertising equivalent of the coverage is estimated at €298m.

President Obama’s visit resulted in 11,586 print and online articles. In addition, it generated 4,416 broadcast pieces in the US and the UK, with the US accounting for 3,493 of these.

Coverage generated during Queen Elizabeth’s visit included 15,793 print and online articles and 6,000 separate broadcast pieces.

“This data confirms what we already suspected – these visits have provided a unique and valuable platform for Ireland as a welcoming place to visit,” said Shaun Quinn, CEO of Fáilte Ireland. “As the recent CSO data has shown an upturn in visitor numbers for the first quarter of this year, there is great potential to play for this season. Fáilte Ireland will be working with tourism businesses throughout Ireland to ensure that they can fully capitalise on the afterglow of these resoundingly successful visits.”

Source.

Not a bad return at all, lets hope it's all converted into bums on seats.

Of course the Independent won't mention this because their reporters are of poor quality and their newspaper is a rag just looking for a reaction from readers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

AH is far more entertaining when it drives a z-lister celebrity to the nut-house.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Ah come on Britain loaned that money to us as David Cameron said to the house of commons this is a good investment! it protects their banks and investments and they make a good return on it, it was by no means a present

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

personally i dont see it as a waste. it boosted the morale of the country, got ireland back on the map again, increased relations with our neighbours and will undoubtedly boost tourism. yes it was 36 million but i feel we will get that back and more.

TheZohan wrote: »
    Sure €30 million is what was estimated for the Queen's trip ages ago,

Oh. In that case, I take it back, no complaints here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

As is usual with figures in Ireland, the truth seems to vary:
    Shock over €40m bill for queen and Obama visits

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/shock-over-euro40m-bill-for-queen-and-obama-visits-2819903.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

ColeTrain wrote: »
    While I agree with the sentiments of your post, it does get tiresome when people use the "no money for hospitals and disabled kids" argument all the time.

You could say that in relation to anything that's not spent on hospitals or disabled kids!

Not if they were spending sufficient money on hospitals and disabled kids you couldn't.

And that's the point really. We're cutting back on essential services in order to pay off bankers and indulge Mary McAleese's delusions of self-importance. OP is spot on is saying that this country's priorities are arseways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

FatherLen wrote: »
    personally i dont see it as a waste. it boosted the morale of the country, got ireland back on the map again, increased relations with our neighbours and will undoubtedly boost tourism. yes it was 36 million but i feel we will get that back and more.

I agree, plus the point that most people seem to be ignoring is the majority of that money was paid in wages to Irish citizens, so it went straight back into the economy! I for one think that’s a good use of my tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

They didnt give us anything. They lent us the money at a very good interest rate to cover their banks and make themselves a few quid while doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Not if they were spending sufficient money on hospitals and disabled kids you couldn't.

And that's the point really. We're cutting back on essential services in order to pay off bankers and indulge Mary McAleese's delusions of self-importance. OP is spot on is saying that this country's priorities are arseways.

Fair enough if there is waste like the E-Voting machines fiasco but saying Obama or the Queen weren't worth the money is subjective. It's just that I can't remember a time when I didn't hear that line brought up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I think we are spending too much on hospitals and disabled kids these days

Advertisement