Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

racer for commuting

• 13-07-2011 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi I want to get a racing bike for commuting to work. My commute is 8 miles and I haven't had this style of bike before. I haven't cycled in years. I'm 6ft 4in and 16st. Am I too big for the skinny wheels of a racer? If not should I be looking at different size frame etc..I haven't a breeze on anything so all advice is really appreciated. I'd like to get a good second hand bike or go on the bike to work scheme. Anyone with any recommendations on where to buy, private or shop? And also what to look out for/avoid? A real newbie so thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cloinsigh

Hi Fredz,
    Buying second hand can be a good idea but it can be hard to find a bike that suits you. So many people buy a bike thats too small, big etc and it ends up being very uncomfortable and the bike ends up in the shed gathering dust. A bike that fits you perfectly will make your commute much more enjoyable.
    Depending on your budget the cycle to work scheme can save you a lot of money and often negate the savings of private. Plus there’s the warranty of course.
    Buying from your LBS (local bike shop) is usually the best way to go as you can nearly always negotiate a good deal, buying online might seem cheaper at first but in my experience the LBS will almost always match what offer you can get and the best thing is you'll get to test ride it first.

As for your size, there's no problem with skinny tires. As it's going to be used mainly for commuting there are some great tough commuting tyres out there.

So if you don't mind me asking, what's your budget and I might be able to advice on a couple. Also, what type of roads will you mainly be on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

fredz wrote: »
    Hi I want to get a racing bike for commuting to work. My commute is 8 miles and I haven't had this style of bike before. I haven't cycled in years. I'm 6ft 4in and 16st. Am I too big for the skinny wheels of a racer?
    As already stated, you are certainly not. I'm 6'3", and was 16.5 stone last January when I started cycling on a racer. I have broken spokes on the stock wheels from very rough roads, or a bit of debris in the wheels, but I since upgraded the wheels, and have been ok.
    If not should I be looking at different size frame etc..
    My bike is a trek 1000 (replaced by the 1.2), with a 60cm frame (58 might be ok too, but this was what came up second hand at the right time), so you'll probably be looking at a similarly sized frame in whatever you go for.

I haven't a breeze on anything so all advice is really appreciated. I'd like to get a good second hand bike or go on the bike to work scheme. Anyone with any recommendations on where to buy, private or shop? And also what to look out for/avoid? A real newbie so thanks in advance for any advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fredz

I will be commuting from dublin city centre to liffey valley in lucan. If I use the btw I can go the full 1000. Any advice on good bike shops in Dublin city? I'm starting to think buying new might be better based on your advice. I was in rothar yesterday and the guy is looking out for a 60cm frame for me but I'm thinking I may as well avail of the btw since my job offers it and it might be a while before a frame that size comes in. I really appreciate your help, anymore advice about clothing or accessories is also very helpful. I see guys riding in the full gear and often wondered apart from comfort when cycling, is the clothes easier to change when I arrive in work. Basically I want to commute to work to improve my fitness and I know the first few weeks/months I'll be sweating when I arrive to work. The answer is probably obvious so excuse if I sound naive, I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cloinsigh

I bought a great bike for commuting a few years back. I was cycling through Cork city centre each morning so I got a flat bar hybrid as they are great in the traffic. Drop bars (the handle bars that drop down on racers) offer a faster racing position but if you think you're going to find yourself weaving in and out of traffic then straight bars are much easier and safer IMHO. The faster hybrids are basically racers with flat handlebars

I bought a LaPierre RCR700 (now called Shaper I think) from Cycle Superstore. The best thing was when setting up a corporate account they give an additional 13% off the RRP (but you could probably talk any LBS down 10% or so anyway)

The current edition of cycling plus magazine has a great review of a few of these type of bikes. If you're popping past an Eason’s or something go in for a quick read.

For a "normal" racer type bike I think canyon.com offer the best value by far. If your company will allow buying online this is a real bargain http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2105
    A mix of Shimano 105 and Ultegra for €999 is outstanding and Canyon make excellent frames too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

One thing worth bearing in mind is that the road that goes out past Heuston Station (St John's Road West and Con Colbert Road) always has a lot of dirt and dust in the area of the road you'll be cycling on. Any bit of rain and you'll get covered in muck without decent mudguards. I found this with slick mountainbike tyres, I don't know if it is as bad with the skinnier tyres on a racer or hybrid.

I used to make a similar commute and I used to go through Ballyfermot. Not sure what the cycle around the Chapelizod Bypass is like, but the 24hr bus lane is quite narrow, so if buses getting close before overtaking is not your thing, you may want to look at the route through Ballyfermot as well.

I think you could have a look at 58cm frame bikes, you might be marginally more upright but this may not be a bad thing if you have not cycled in a while. Try before you buy either way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fredz

Thanks for the link, it looks great and good value. I'll have to check with work. And also go into a few bike shops and see whats out there. Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I got this bike a couple of weeks ago having not cycled in years until the dublin bikes scheme came in.
    http://www.eurocycles.ie/Felt_XCity_1_2010/3139_p.aspx

I'm really liking it so far, eurocycles gave 15% worth of accessories free too so worked out well so far for me.

They have a branch on south william street which would be worth popping into.

Oops sorry just realised you're only looking for a racer not hybrid.

Advertisement