Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

+1 + a few others

Options
  • 13-07-2011 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    About 2 weeks ago, I started seeing a +1 button beside every search result in Google. I tested it by getting my brother to +1 my site and it worked, when I searched again, it said "cianos has +1'd this site" or whatever it might say. That was all fine, but then the +1 button disappeared from all search results and I can't see the +1 on my site anymore either. I thought maybe it was because I hadn't got an invitation to join the actual +1 network, but I just did this morning and it's still not showing. I then thought it may be something to do with the fact that a week or so ago I had done a system optimise/clean up, ran a few scans, installed some spyware removal tools to be safe and all that aswell as ad block plus. I tried disable adblock to see if that would help but it didn't. Still can't see the +1 button in search results even though I'm logged in and everything and I haven't a clue why. Google isn't showing up much in terms of similar problems, there's been a problem with the +1 button disappearing off peoples websites but that's about it... which leads me to my next query..

If I have a +1 button on my site, do I need it on every page, or would the one button cover the whole site? Also, I currently have links to facebook, twitter and my blog on my site and thinking maybe linkedin and +1 should be next. I don't even have a linkedin profile yet though, is it worth it?

Also, in relation to this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056151522 about the "most valuable review site" I'm yet to ask my previous customers for feedback and kind of glad I waited now that +1 is out. So if I have a good lot of customers I can email to ask to leave me review/feedback what would be the most valuable place for them to leave it now I wonder? I'll probably continue that query on the thread I linked to actually.

So if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it greatly :)

my site is www.VanTasks.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

Does your brother use your machine. I am thinking that the +1 Button is a local bookmark as it would be the sort of thing that would be easily abused.

You may remember when you typed "failure" into google and pressed"Im feeling lucky" that the white house page with George W Bush came up. This was due to automated interaction swinging the vote, and Google now restrict their apps and labs that can be abused in such a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Love the favicon on your site.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the replies :) Glad you like the favicon :D Cianos my brother made it for me :P

My brother wouldn't have used my machine nope, but there is a chance, I can't remember at all, that I tried to +1 the site myself in the search results. I think I clicked it to see what would happen but didn't go through the process, but maybe I did.

Unless it's something to do with the computer I'm using. I should probably try on a different one logged in under the same gmail account. So the +1 button is showing for everyone in search results at all times?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I thought for +1 recommendations to appear you'd have to:

Be logged into your google account
    Have someone who is in your google contacts/google+ circles already +1 the page

Haven't used it myself yet. It might get a little more popualr with the arrival of Google+.

That's what you need alright, but before someone likes it, you can see +1 buttons beside each link you can +1 yourself, these are now missing for me for some reason?

• Advertisement

And just like that... the +1 button is back on my Google search :confused:

Didn't change or do anything, it's been gone for the last few days and just back all of a sudden:confused:

Glad to say it hasn't disappeared again since I posted the above. Just in relation to my other queries though, does anyone have any idea with regards the +1 button on my own site and the best review site? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Google are still in very early days with PlusOne, expect to see lots of changes as they test and figure out how to implement it to their best advantage.

Seems like the hype of Google+ has died down a bit, I've an account myself but have barely used it and I don't see many others using theirs as they do facebook at all. Maybe this will change over time.

Advertisement