Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well known Insurance Company

Options
  • 13-07-2011 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hello, does anyone know what the situation is with no claims bonus for cars insurance? I changed my insurance provider last year and brought 9 years no claims to the new "well known" company, they are now saying that i only have 5 years no claims and this is making me out to be a liar to my new insurance company who i changed to just last week, who i have told i have 10... I know it sounds confusing, but in short, i have surfed my way through 3 insurance co's in 3 years in search for lower premium. Anyway , to make matters worse, the customer service agent laughed down the phone when i said i wanted my driving history to be corrected, and if they didnt do so i would make an official complaint... Anyone know the best way of tackling this? ThanksSP.S. sorry if i've posted in the wrong section.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Your first insurance company should have sent you out a statement of your 9 years NCB with your renewal. If you still have this you could show this to the new company to prove your point.

I think some insurance companies disregard any further NCB after 5/6 years, so maybe they're doing that but being a$$holes about it in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I think most only recognise 5 years no-claims.

So, you get a bonus for 5 years, but nothing more for more years.

I don't think 9 years of no-claims will result in any lower of a premium than 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

5 years is usually the max they take into account. Maybe you're getting mixed up with how they phrased it. Anything above 5 doesn't make any odds anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Also if you made a claim at any point during those 10 years, if you have NCB protection it only counts with the company you have the NCB Protection with.

Even Windscreen cover can wreck your NCB with another company as its still technically a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

In my experience, it really doesn't seem to matter after 5 years.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

It's not always wise to go with the CHEAPEST quote. You get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭quinnie123ie

i understand that they may not care about more then 5 yrs, but i have full no claims protection and want to protect the 10 years, and i want an accurate driving history reflected on all my policies... maybe, heaven forbid if something terrible happened to me on the road 10yrs no claims would work in my favour in court. i think it is the fact they are being a55holes as gulliver said, the attitude on the phone is what bugged me.. i am going to insist they give me the cert for 10yrs... the question is, again, what if they refuse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

For someone that has had insurance for that long,you really dont know much about it.

You will only ever have a 5,maybe 6 years no claims bonus depending on the company.

You could be claims free for 30 years and you will only ever have 5 or 6 years no claims bonus.

You can only protect 5 or 6 years no claims bonus.

To spell it out.

You have full bonus cover,for the sake of argument say you can have one unlimited claim in a 1 year period of insurance that wont effect your no claims bonus but if you make another one your bonus will be stepped back.

You make 2 claims in 1 year,you are going to be down to probably 3 years no claims bonus.

The maximum discount with the majority of insurers is 50% so having the bonus stepped back will reduce that to between 20 and 30 percent.

Also you will not get a cert for 10 years.

You can go to each individual company and ask them to issue you one for each period of insurance but your most recent company will only issue you with one for whatever duration you are with them.

Its the POINT ON SCALE thats important.

As for you comment on the phone agents attitude,if you rang up and behaved on the phone as you write here,Im not surprised you didnt get anywhere.

You sound like someone that thinks he knows all but doesnt.

The above is cold hard fact,maybe that will get it through to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

In the company I work for :

1 years NCD = 10%
    2 years = 20%
    3 years = 30 %
    4 years = 40%
    5 years = 50%
    More than 5 years = 50%

Advertisement