Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby swimming

Options
  • 13-07-2011 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi

Looking for something to do with my now 3 month old. Was considering baby massage but reckon I should look for something a little more physical to do to help with her development and help her burn off some energy (sleeps at night but not a bar of it during the day). Am considering swimming but it seems expensive. The company I was looking at are charging 20e a class - is this the norm? My maternity leave money is running low so have to be a little frugal. Also has anyone seen the benefits of bringing a baby to a swimming class?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

That seems massively expensive for swimming!

I used to bring my son when he was around your daughters age - I'm not sure what the 'actual' benefits were, but I know I enjoyed it myself and he seemed to really enjoy it...he is a great swimmer even now (9) and still loves water.

My local pool (which has recently been refurbished and is beautiful) has a mother and baby morning - it's not structured persay, but it's only mothers and babies in the pool and I remember feeling very comfortable in my swimsuit 3 months after giving birth, when all the other women were in the same boat;) It's also only 6euro a session.

I'm in Dublin - not sure where you are, but check out some pools around you and there has to be much cheaper than 20euro a go for swimming!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Hi there

Im in Dublin 8. The class im referring to is part of a course on teaching them to swim. I just couldnt afford to take her to more than 4 classes in total Nevermind for a few months at that cost, and you cant pay as you go either.

Shes only started to enjoy bathtime since I removed the support from it and shes more free in the water so im sure she'd like it.

Oh and Im so with you on the swimming cossie. Not for public viewing ;)

We took our 3 month old to the parent and baby swim in Marion College. It's on twice a week - Thurs and Sat. She LOVED it. The pool's nice and warm and there's a couple of people there to give advice/help you get in and out. E10 for one parent and baby or E15 for both parents.It's also pay as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

OP, you could always just take your daughter to your local pool and forget about the lessons altogether - €20 per class is crazy money, you could get over 3 swims for that!!!

My local council run pool is lovely with a slightly warmer baby pool too. It only costs €6 per session, you can go for as long as you like during an open swim. They also do a parent and baby/ toddler session on Friday mornings for €5 for the 45 min class and there is an instructor there also.

Tbh, the first few times you will only be in the pool about 5-10 mins because baby will get tired very quickly. For this reason I would just go at an open swim time, ring up the pool and ask when they are usually quietest if you want to avoid bigger kids splashing and lots of noise etc.

Hope that helps, and other questions just ask! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

mrsberries I bring my son to the classes I think you're talking about. I thought they were very expensive too but we've just completed the first course and it's amazing what your little baby will be doing by the end. We use the children's allowance to pay for the classes.

They also teach basic skills so if your baby falls into water they know what to do and in my opinion it's worth the money for that piece of mind alone.

We went with my husband one Sunday so I could dhow him what we do and he was amazed. There were kids in the pool up to 10 years of age terrified of even getting a splash of water on their faces and my 4 month old son was being put under water, put on his back etc and laughing away.

Thanks HowStrange, possibly the same classes alright. I know this sounds silly but Im scared about letting her learn to swim under water. However, I was a terribly timid child (still am when it comes some stuff) and really dont want to pass this on to her. Using the childrens allowance is an idea.

Might try an open pool first though, even just to get the hang of getting us both ready for the pool! Thanks for the idea Lola.

I'm exactly like you and am very nervous around water. My husband loves swimming and would think nothing of jumping into the 40ft for a dip.

It's quite stressful putting them under water for the first couple of times but then you and the baby get used to it. Also babies are born with the ability up be under water and not swallow water but as they get closer to one this reflex goes so getting them used to water early is a good idea.

I think learning to swim is imperative in every childs life, and I know in my sons primary school, swimming lessons are on the curriculum from senior infants.

I doubt there is anything that can be taught to a 4 month old in a 20e lesson, more than a parent could teach the child, in an ordinary pool session though:confused: 20e a lesson is like something that happened back in the day when we all had money!

Fittle I'd be the most sceptical person going but the infant swimming classes are brilliant and its a fantastic sight when you go underwater and see your little baby eyes open and holding his breath. It's only a few seconds but it's amazing. If any parent is brave and qualified enough to be able to do this with their baby without the help of an instructor then fair play to them but i certainly wouldn't.

My little fella cooes and giggles when
    he's on his back.

Very few schools teach swimming in Ireland and with the best of intentions life is busy and swimming lessons is one of those things you want to do but never find the time. All during my pregnancy I'd said I wanted our children to learn to swim from the
    youngest age possible and as I'm a terrible swimmer it's a lovely bonding experience for my son and I because in a year or less he'll be a better swimmer than me.

• Advertisement

I agree that it's an amazing bonding experience - I loved it when my lad was younger, and so did he.
    I did alot of that going under the water with him and I'm not the strongest swimmer myself, but I still think 20e a lesson is way ott. Sorry, don't mean to be such a cynic, but after one mother & baby session myself, I was able to repeat the same lesson on my own time after time!

Anyway OP, if money is tight on maternity leave, defo just look into your local swimming pools - or if you can travel with baby, check out some of the ones a bit further a field;)

Very few schools teach swimming in Ireland

Our school is a normal primary on the northside of Dublin, and swimming is on our curriculum - and is obligatory - for the past four years! We have to pay for it ourselves, but the principal insists that all children go to the lessons, unless they have a doctors note!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

I think 3 months is still young enough to just have baby and mum/dad if money is tight.

I'd go with going to your local pool and leave the lessons for the moment.

As for swimming lessons through schools, I dont know a primary school that doesn't have lessons through the school year. And some secondary school also have swimming lessons. (im in Dublin maybe it different around the country)

:( I want mine to be small enough again to bring swimming lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

OP - I brought my first daughter swimming at a local hotel pool when she was under 6 months. They charged me about €5-6 but charged nothing for her. Truthfully, we only went the once b/c the pool was far too cold for a young baby & she shivered through the whole thing. Not exactly the experience you want for your babe! Can't fault the facilities though; it was in a hotel, not a specially designed leisure centre.

When our daughter was older (about 18 months) we took her to another pool - again, charged a few euro for the adult but kid was free. She was able to splash around & play with the pool toys. Not really swimming, but getting comfy all the same.

I would suggest - as others have - go to a few local open swim sessions. You just may be surprised with how comfortable your baby will be (they were swimming in the womb, after all). Then, if you feel the money more justified, you'll feel more comfortable going to the classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 xxkazxx

Hi OP ,

Cheeverstown swimming pool is really good and its the right temperature for babys. Think its only open on the weekend to the public but its only 6euro for a adult and baby will go free. They also only let a certain amount of people in the pool so i'd recommend ringing ahead and booking in. Hope this helps :)

Advertisement