Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Decking

• 13-07-2011 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi,

I plan to do some decking over the next few weeks out the back of my house. Its a semi detached house and i want to do a 10 foot square deck just out from the patio doors. I want it to be the same height as the floor leaving the patio doors, whats the best way to acheive this height and where is the best place (cheapest) for the support timber and decking timber? Not looking for handrails or anything.

Thanks for the help,

Jamie.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Whats the height difference from the inside floor area to the outside?

What will the decking be sitting on. Concrete or earth?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭livingthedream

Yeah depends on if you are extending out onto level ground or sloped ground.

Is it onto grass on concrete?

You typically need to build a frame that you will screw the decking boards to and support this frame either on posts that have been sunk into the ground and secured with some concrete around the base or 'floating' on something like leveled paving slabs if concrete.... The frame should also be secured to the end wall of your house with some bolts.

I'd recommend hiring a nail gun to construct the frame unless you fancy a good workout and using some galvanised ring shanked nails as the 'ammo'.

Cost of the decking boards will depend on whether or not you opt for hardwood or softwood... softwood much cheaper but less durable and will require more TLC (regular treatments etc).

I put a deck down last year in similar circumstances and after shopping around got it all from Brooks Thomas and they delivered the lot.. I went for the softwood option fwiw...

HTH,

~S.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jamiecall

Hi lads, thanks for the advice. Its going to be about a foot high in order to be level with the floor level of the back door and i'm laying it on existing patio slabs. What kind of things to i need to attch it to the wall of the house properly?

Going to go with a softwood option. Not that bothered about the yearly maintanence and need to keep my costs down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

Noyeks is the place for decking. I prefer going to the one in ballymount as apposed to finglas fint them more helpful. Tell us how you get on throw up a picture when its finished.

Also if you go to Noyeks ask for the trade discount everytime and if you are ordering around €500 or so worth of stuff make to get free delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

i got a 12 x 12 deck and raised it by a foot using concrete blocks for the neighbour up the road got it from abs building supplies in jfk industrial estate 275 for the deck and frame and 20 euros for the blocks happy enough

• Advertisement
Advertisement