Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US WDYTYA

• 13-07-2011 10:34am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I caught the second episode of this new series on RTE on Monday. It's on at the ridiculously late hour of 22.40 so Mr Sky + was employed. I missed the first episode (Vanessa Williams) and unfortunately RTE has confirmed they don't have the rights to put it on the player.

Rosie O'Donnell was the person and unsurprisingly had Irish origins. They went back to her great-great grandparents who left during the famine, having been in a workhouse. They took her to Birr workhouse to show her what it was like. I hadn't realised there were workhouses still standing and must see if I can get to see it myself.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭hblock21

The most interesting thing I took from this episode was the "minute book" of this work house. I did not know something like these books existed.

Does anyone know for what other work houses these minute books survived? And where to see them?

On another note, I didn't think much happened in the episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭hblock21

The Poor Law was an attempt to come to terms with some of the problems arising out of widespread poverty in Ireland in the early 19th century by providing institutional relief for the destitute. The Irish Poor Law Act of 1838, heavily influenced by an English Act of 1834, divided the country initially into one hundred and thirty poor law unions each with a workhouse at its centre. Each union was administered by a board of poor law guardians, some of whom were elected and some appointed from the local magistracy. The system was originally designed to accommodate 1% of the population or 80,000 people but, by March 1851, famine had driven almost 4% of the population into the workhouses. As the 19th century progressed the poor law unions were given many additional functions, particularly in relation to health, housing and sanitation.

Under the Local Government Act, 1898, the poor law unions lost some of their housing and sanitation functions to newly established rural district councils, but remained responsible for poor relief. The early 1920s saw the abolition of poor law unions in the south of Ireland (with the exception of Dublin) and the closure of workhouses to reduce costs. Some workhouses were burned during the War of Independence and Civil War while others were converted into county homes or district hospitals.
    There was hardly a facet of Irish life at local level upon which the poor law did not impinge and the records are one of the most important primary sources into life in Ireland from the early 19th to the early 20th centuries.

In general, the minute books of poor law unions have a reasonably good survival rate, but it is unusual for other records to survive in quantity. However, some of the poor law collections held by the National Archives are remarkable for the range of records which they contain. The National Archives holds several very complete collections of workhouse records relating to the North Dublin Union, South Dublin Union, and Rathdown Union (part of County Dublin and County Wicklow). As well as minute books, these collections include indoor registers which give the names and personal details of those entering the workhouse, as well as a wide variety of other records.

The National Archives also holds smaller collections relating to Balrothery Union (part of County Dublin), Bawnboy Union (part of County Cavan), Dromore West Union (part of County Sligo; on microfilm only) and Lismore Union (part of County Waterford). The National Archives also holds orders made by Poor Law Commissioners and Local Government Board, 1839–1921, and files of the Dail Eireann Department of Local Government, 1919–1923.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think a lot of them are held by the county or city library.

I know the Limerick city ones are in their library. They're usually the original books rather than microfilms.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Catsmeow

Hi. I enjoyed the Rosie O'Donnell programme. I hadn't realised any of the workhouse records had survived. Does anyone know if the records for either Mullingar or the Shillelagh area of Wicklow have survived? Thanks. Catsmeow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Hi, where the local authority has an archivist they normally have the workhouse records. If there is no archivist the Local Studies section of the Co or City Library should be able to point you in the right direction although as someone said in another post, the National Archives has the records of some unions.

I think there are different levels of record survival among poor law unions. The catalogue for the Cork Board of Guardians at www.corkarchives.ie describes the content of the records. There should be similar content in the records of all unions (if the records have survived).

If you are researching workhouse inmates, the actual 'minute books' are not really what you are looking for. The minute books contain minutes of the meetings of the Board of Guardians and inmates only tend to be mentioned if they were in trouble of some sort, needed medical attention etc. For bio details of inmates, 'registers of inmates' or something similar are the best bet. Workhouse staff though would be mentioned in the minute books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭eamor

Hi Folks,

I read this http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Workhouses-Ireland-John-OConnor/9780947962715 a few years back. I'm not an expert, I'm sure there could be other books out there, but I enjoyed it (if thats the right sentiment).. If I remember correctly it also lists the workhouses. I have relatives in Athy and the local hospital was orginally a workhouse. Its amazing actually driving through the gates, that its still standing. Also have relatives in Birr !! The workhouse is locally known as 'the gorm'... or gorum... Always wondered if it was a translation of 'blue'....I'm sure if there is anyone local to it on here, they will correct me... But one thing I know for absolute certainty.... Its a seriously creepy place. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Catsmeow

Hi. Thank you for the info CeannRua. I must follow up on that. That sounds like an interesting book eamor, I'll see if my local library has a copy. Catsmeow

• Registered Users Posts: 20 goldiepark

It's a good book for general information and a general read but not fantastic. Very little has actually been published on the workhouses in general. I'd recommend the original sources such as the minute books or the british parliamentary papers to get a good insight in to events within particular workhouses.

As has been said, minute books of the workhouses outside of Dublin area are generally in the local county libraries so you should contact the relevant ones for access.

The minute books contain a wealth of info and record the weekly meetings of the Board of Guardians who were charged with the running of them. They contain statistics on numbers admitted, discharged and remained in the workhouse; names of the board of guardians - interesting to note local names still in the community; weekly food orders; reports of the master who ran the workhouse and the medical officer; decisions made by the guardians at that particular meeting and any orders from the Poor Law Commissioners that had to be enforced.

Happy researching!

Advertisement