Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay per lift

Options
  • 13-07-2011 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

My rubbish collection company offers a "pay per lift" service whereby if you don't need a bin lift on a certain day, you contact them and they put a credit on your account.

I rang about this last week and was informed that each credit would be worth about 80c. They charge me about e25 per month so I don't know where this 80c credit comes from - surely it should be a fiver or more? I don't mind, it's still pretty cheap and if I hadn't known about the pay per lift, I wouldn't feel hard done by. But to offer the service and be so stingy about it...

Is there some sort of reason why they have to do it, and if so, is 80c credit about the norm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

€25.00 divided by 31 days = 0.8064c

80cent per day.

Sounds just like something they offer to me. Haven't heard of anyoen doing it before. I suppose if you were with the county council you just wouldn't put the bins out or buy the bin tag.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Our bin company charges per lift as well but we get invoiced for it at the end of each month.

When the empty the bin the scan the barcode and that updates your account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

daily lifts! what a luxury.
    am not sure thats what you mean however...

we get 1 lift every 2 weeks (well 1 compost, 1 green & 1 waste)
    we get charged per lift, rather than credited when we dont put a bin out.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

godtabh wrote: »
    Our bin company charges per lift as well but we get invoiced for it at the end of each month.

When the empty the bin the scan the barcode and that updates your account

Yeah me too, I'm with Greenstar in Dublin. It sounds like the OP's provider has its policies set up to just rip off all the people that dont ring up to get their credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Yeah, we certainly don't get daily lifts. We get a waste lift every second week and recycling every other week, like most other people, I'm sure. So my calculations are that every lift costs €5.76 (25*12/52) so in theory that's how much my credit should be.

For those who are billed per lift, is it a straightforward €x per lift or does a lift cost more than a non-lift saves, if you get my drift?

• Advertisement

http://www.greenstar.ie/fingal/

we pay 110 for the annual charge and then 6.40 every time the waste bin is left out.
    its paid in arrears so we only pay for what we use.

green & brown bins are free.
    which company are you with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Not sure I should name my crowd. I did look into Greenstar a while back, but they don't have the same service options in Cork as they have for Fingal, and they're (slightly) more expensive. I really should try and find a company that do a proper pay per lift service though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

I presume it a credit for not having the bin lifted - however the truck still has to drive by and the employees still ahve to get paid whether the bin is lifted or not.
    In other areas you pay a fixed annual service charge whether you have 1 bin collected or 26 and then pay per lift on top of the service charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Credit for not having a bin lifted seems absurd. We have a tag system, so we only pay per lift. €20 for the general waste and €5 for re-cycling. General waste only needs lifting every 5 or 6 weeks and recycling (with visits to bottle banks and a garden compost bin) only every 2 months. €200 covers the full year easily for a family of 5. Great system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I am paying €13.75 a month for a weekly collection with weeks alternating between recycling and normal rubbish. That is for the smaller bin but the larger standard size bin is still only €16.50 a month. Those brown compost and food bins are just another way companies can fleece their customers while cutting back on their collections.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I am paying €13.75 a month for a weekly collection with weeks alternating between recycling and normal rubbish. That is for the smaller bin but the larger standard size bin is still only €16.50 a month. Those brown compost and food bins are just another way companies can fleece their customers while cutting back on their collections.

I'm paying less than that for a full size and get a brown bin too.
    Not exactly fleecing...

Credit for not having a bin lifted seems absurd. We have a tag system, so we only pay per lift. €20 for the general waste and €5 for re-cycling. General waste only needs lifting every 5 or 6 weeks and recycling (with visits to bottle banks and a garden compost bin) only every 2 months. €200 covers the full year easily for a family of 5. Great system.
    my refuse works out at €13.75 x 12 so it is €165 a year for a bi-weekly collection of general and recycling waste. at the higher rate for the family bin it works out at €198 a year or €3.80 per lift
    subway wrote: »
    I'm paying less than that for a full size and get a brown bin too.
    Not exactly fleecing...
    But it is a lot cheaper than €20 per lift for general waste, not everyone is paying less than €13.75 a month for all their refuse collections.

i'm just saying the brown bins are not a way to fleece customers.
    in most cases, that i am aware of, they are provided in addition and at no extra charge.

i'm just saying the brown bins are not a way to fleece customers.
    in most cases, that i am aware of, they are provided in addition and at no extra charge.
    Many companies insist on brown food waste and compost bins having a liner bag fitted which can usually only be bought from the company for a large fee, €55 per year in the case of a relative dealing with thorntons in Kildare.

Many companies insist on brown food waste and compost bins having a liner bag fitted which can usually only be bought from the company for a large fee, €55 per year in the case of a relative dealing with thorntons in Kildare.
    are you sure they insist on it lining the bin? generally, those green bags are only if you wish to fill the bag elsewhere before bringing it to the brown bin or if you wish to keep the bin clean

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055516878

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

my refuse works out at €13.75 x 12 so it is €165 a year for a bi-weekly collection of general and recycling waste. at the higher rate for the family bin it works out at €198 a year or €3.80 per lift

But it is a lot cheaper than €20 per lift for general waste, not everyone is paying less than €13.75 a month for all their refuse collections.

Ordinary Oxygen bin service here is over €400 per year.

are you sure they insist on it lining the bin? generally, those green bags are only if you wish to fill the bag elsewhere before bringing it to the brown bin or if you wish to keep the bin clean

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055516878
    They don't insist on it being used afaik but add the cost of the bags to your bill once yearly and supply the bags as part of the service afaik so what else would you do with the special biodegradable bags?

They don't insist on it being used afaik but add the cost of the bags to your bill once yearly and supply the bags as part of the service afaik so what else would you do with the special biodegradable bags?
    i dont know :) i would complain as soon as i got the bill.
    thorntons website says they are free so if your relations are paying and dont want them its time to speak to someone in charge.

Advertisement