Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€100 to spend on road shoes...but which ones ?

• 13-07-2011 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi All

I bought my road bike in May and as a complete new entrant to cycling I'm loving it so far. Have gotten out a couple of times a week on average and built up from 25k spins to a longest so far of 80k (average has probably been 45k).
    Its going well and I feel I'm ready to move on to proper cycling shoes to keep the interest, keep the momentum etc. At the time I bought, I got dual sided pedals with cleats like the ones in the pic attached.
    So with a budget of €100, what shoes would you recommend for me to buy ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Assuming you want to stick with the SPDs...

Mavic 2011 Razor MTB Shoes
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=56215

For a MTB shoe, they're quite beautiful.

MavicRazorWhite.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭ChewyLuey

Thanks Lumen, They look pretty good. Anyone else have any other recommendations ? Just to give me a bit of a dilemma :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Go with whatever fits you. I have the shoes above for commuting. They are pretty comfy but I have found out that Mavic shoes just don't fit me as well as SIDI shoes ever did.

Try some on, see what's within your budget. If you think you can get something cheaper online than in-store (my Mavics were actually cheaper in Cycle Surgery than they were online) then haggle with the shop or buy them online. However, it's always nice to find out that you can swap them quickly if the size is a little off.

And as for sizing, this video is quite useful:

The important bit! Don't size cycling shoes as you would size your running/casual shoes.

What are the thoughts on these ? The price seems good but any feedback ?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-r1-road-cycling-shoe/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

I've a pair of those (got them free when I bought a bike second hand) and they're not as comfy as my Shimano M075 which I've had for 4 years nearly, commuting year round in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ChewyLuey wrote: »

I like the fact that they accept both two bolt and three bolt cleats.

HI All

same question but for Triathlon use. What would you recommend in Tri shoes for 100 or less ? The Shimano TR31 maybe ?

thx

Sorry to drag this one up but could someone recommend Tri Shoes in around the €100 mark ?

Thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

Sorry to drag this one up but could someone recommend Tri Shoes in around the €100 mark ?

Thx

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pearl-izumi/fly-iii-carbon-triathlon-shoe-ec027193?query=pearl izumi

Have these myself got for €110 in LBS. Very stiff and even with just the two velcro straps are a nice snug fit. Being a tri shoe though are have no tongue and a lots of vents so you'll need a good pair of overshoes if you want to use them outside of races. Have used them all this year as my only shoe but will probably invest in a pair of road shoes for winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Very comfy, go 1 size up than your ordinary shoe size

• Advertisement

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=56209
    picked up a pair of these in cycle surgery in dundrum there a couple weeks ago and love them, very comfortable, very stiff, good power transfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

A friend of mine has them and is very happy with them. Yet another friend of ours went for the fancy pants carbon ones and really likes them also. However, they both bought them vey recently so it's early days yet.

I have shimano shoes, btw. They're grand.

Lemag wrote: »
    A friend of mine has them and is very happy with them. Yet another friend of ours went for the fancy pants carbon ones and really likes them also. However, they both bought them vey recently so it's early days yet.

I have shimano shoes, btw. They're grand.

As I posted earlier in the thread, I have a pair of these, but there's really no comparison in terms of comfort and stiffness compared to the mavics I've just gotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

A bit off topic, as these shoes will certainly not cost less then 100euro, but Specialized have a new design of triathlon shoe available. The heel lifts back to open and a Boa dial closes it in place once your foot is in the shoe:

trivent-open.jpg

More generally, and back on/towards topic again, bear in mind what type of foot you have and particularly before buying online. For example, I have a narrow heel and my heel lifts out of some shoes (e.g. Cannondale Carve (model from a couple of years back), some Shimano shoes) but I've found Specialized shoes to be very good when it comes to gripping my heel. It all comes back to trying shoes on before buying them if at all possible - buying shoes online based just on their claimed size and fit is always a bit of a lottery, and I've had both good (Specialized) and bad (Giro) experiences doing so.

doozerie wrote: »
    It all comes back to trying shoes on before buying them if at all possible - buying shoes online based just on their claimed size and fit is always a bit of a lottery, and I've had both good (Specialized) and bad (Giro) experiences doing so.

Its a fair point.
    However, from what I have seen, the only LBS in Cork with anything more than 5 or 6 pairs to choose from is The Edge sports, Kinsale Rd. Is there any shop in Ireland with a large range of road and tri shoes to try on and choose from ??

Thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Anybody know where is the best place in Dublin to try on a range (price) of bike shoes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Its a fair point.
    However, from what I have seen, the only LBS in Cork with anything more than 5 or 6 pairs to choose from is The Edge sports, Kinsale Rd. Is there any shop in Ireland with a large range of road and tri shoes to try on and choose from ??

Thx

I've not looked at their shoe selection in the store itself, but according to their website Cycle SuperStore (Dublin) for one have a reasonable range, though a lot of them are at the pricier end of the scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

I'm in the market for road shoes myself. I was looking at Shimano R087's in the wide fitting. Are these any good? Anyone have any opinion on these before I splash out.
    Wiggle have 10% off shoes today so these are down to €77.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Donie75 wrote: »
    I'm in the market for road shoes myself. I was looking at Shimano R087's in the wide fitting. Are these any good? Anyone have any opinion on these before I splash out.
    Wiggle have 10% off shoes today so these are down to €77.

They are €74 on Chain Reaction. I'm also thinking of these.

I have a pair of Shimano R076 that are two years old, but a size too big (Bought online). I would go a size down in future, but would need to try on first. My problem is my cleat is a couple of mm short of the ideal position, but the shoe is too big to move down any further.

Advertisement