Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rhubarb!

Options
  • 13-07-2011 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

I bought some Rhubarb at the weekend and not sure what to do with it......... is a crumble the best way to go????
    Any suggestions would be great............... thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Rhubarb jelly perhaps or rhubarb jam.
    I think it is nicest in a crumble though. Strawberry and rhubarb is so yum or apple and rhubarb but with a really nice buttery crunchy crumble topping on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Stewed rhubarb and ice-cream/cream/yoghurt is also yummy. I love rhubarb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Love rhubarb! Crumble is good, but stewed is also a favourite of mine! Just chop it up, bung it in a pan with a drizzle of water, maybe a spoonful of sugar to sweeten it up and leave it to stew - just give it a stir now and again so it doesn't stick to the bottom of your pan - nom nom nom. Must remember to buy some today in the shopping :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭tippniall

Always think you cant go wrong with good ol rhubarb tart and ice cream!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You could stew it with sugar, then spread it over shortcrust pastry in a swiss roll tin, spread sponge mixture over the top and bake it. Then cut it into slices - I made some today and they were really good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Make rhubarb tart: use sweet pastry, frangipane, and rhubarb purée (recipe below). You can blind bake the base, add the frangipane* to half-way, then bake to completion, cool, and add the purée.

*Frangipane: Mix equal weights flour, icing sugar, softened butter, ground almonds, and egg together. For one large 50g egg, it's 50g of each of the remaining ingredients. Mix until smooth.

[SIZE=-1]-Rhubarb Purée
    Makes 400g

500g Rhubarb, fresh or frozen
    180g Caster sugar
    40g Water (if using frozen, 60g)
    1 pinch salt
    2.5 leaves gelatine (5g)

1. Peel rhubarb. Cut into pieces the length of your index finger. Add
    to a large pot with the sugar, water and salt.
    2. Soak the gelatine in cold water until required.
    3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook, stirring
    frequently, for about 20 mins until the mixture is still "wet". Cook
    for another 10 mins until the mixture is practically without excess
    moisture, and of such a consistency that it holds its shape and appears quite thick.
    4. Add the gelatine leaves, squeezed of any excess moisture, and mix well.
    5. Pour into a plastic container and leave to cool. Refrigerate.[/SIZE]

As a decoration, you can peel thin strips of rhubarb, lay them side by side on a baking sheet, sprinkle with sugar, then bake in a hot oven until the sugar has melted. Remove, then cut out into a circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fudge74

Make rhubarb tart: use sweet pastry, frangipane, and rhubarb purée (recipe below). You can blind bake the base, add the frangipane* to half-way, then bake to completion, cool, and add the purée.

*Frangipane: Mix equal weights flour, icing sugar, softened butter, ground almonds, and egg together. For one large 50g egg, it's 50g of each of the remaining ingredients. Mix until smooth.

[SIZE=-1]-Rhubarb Purée[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Makes 400g[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]500g Rhubarb, fresh or frozen[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]180g Caster sugar[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]40g Water (if using frozen, 60g)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]1 pinch salt[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]2.5 leaves gelatine (5g)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]1. Peel rhubarb. Cut into pieces the length of your index finger. Add[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]to a large pot with the sugar, water and salt.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]2. Soak the gelatine in cold water until required.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook, stirring[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]frequently, for about 20 mins until the mixture is still "wet". Cook[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]for another 10 mins until the mixture is practically without excess[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]moisture, and of such a consistency that it holds its shape and appears quite thick.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]4. Add the gelatine leaves, squeezed of any excess moisture, and mix well.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]5. Pour into a plastic container and leave to cool. Refrigerate.[/SIZE]

As a decoration, you can peel thin strips of rhubarb, lay them side by side on a baking sheet, sprinkle with sugar, then bake in a hot oven until the sugar has melted. Remove, then cut out into a circle.

WOW.....................OMG that certainly woke the tastebuds............ will defo have to give this a whirl. Thanks a mill :D

namurt wrote: »
    Stewed rhubarb and ice-cream/cream/yoghurt is also yummy. I love rhubarb.

Took your advice and had it with custard............. yummy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

Frangipane is indeed a great idea, I must give it a try.

My usual tart is simply rhubarb chunks on crunched speculoos (on the base, ofc), with brown sugar (and extra cinnamon if that's what you're into) on the top. The speculoos nicely balance the acidity of the rhubarb, and I got people who would not hear of it to actually enjoy the old rhub'.

LaBaguette wrote: »
    Frangipane is indeed a great idea, I must give it a try.

My usual tart is simply rhubarb chunks on crunched speculoos (on the base, ofc), with brown sugar (and extra cinnamon if that's what you're into) on the top. The speculoos nicely balance the acidity of the rhubarb, and I got people who would not hear of it to actually enjoy the old rhub'.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what are speculoos????????? And do you bake the whole tart then??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Redonblonde

Hey fudge, speculoos is the German / Dutch name for those crunchy cinnamony biscuits you get in Lidl by the ton load at Christmas, they're very similar to the kind of caramel crunchy ones you get with coffee in posh cafes. Thin, hard, crunchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

WP informs me that their proper name in English is speculaas. Anyway, that's indeed a cinnamon biscuit - you can get them in Dunnes (and maybe Tesco) and they stock the Lotus brand.

I crunch them, and put them on my base (with the convenient bonus that they will absorb any possible water from the rhub').

As for baking the whole tart, forgive me but I'm not sure I understand your question. Usually, I pre-bake the base, and then bake the whole tart - maybe you meant "as opposed to not baking the rhubarb" ?

LaBaguette wrote: »
    WP informs me that their proper name in English is speculaas. Anyway, that's indeed a cinnamon biscuit - you can get them in Dunnes (and maybe Tesco) and they stock the Lotus brand.

I crunch them, and put them on my base (with the convenient bonus that they will absorb any possible water from the rhub').

As for baking the whole tart, forgive me but I'm not sure I understand your question. Usually, I pre-bake the base, and then bake the whole tart - maybe you meant "as opposed to not baking the rhubarb" ?

Apologies for confusion............ it must have been my mouth watering that caused that!!!!

What I meant was, you say you have the biscuits on the bottom with the rhubarb chunks, sugar and cinnamon on top, so my question should have been........ do you stew the rhubarb with the sugar and cinnamon and then place on top of the biscuits?

Perhaps you could give me cooking times, temp (gas) etc. because this really sounds fab :D

Advertisement