Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removal of non running car

• 13-07-2011 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know anyone who has a removal service for this sort of thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone know anyone who has a removal service for this sort of thing?

As far I know Molloy Metals a Wexford company have an arrangement with car garages in town here I think they take away the cars handed in on the scapage scheme, they might be worth a shout just to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Whoever you get to do it just be careful that you sort out the paperwork.

I got my brother in law to get rid of one for me a couple of years ago. He gave it to a local "scrap dealer". A few months later I got several parking tickets.

They basically got the thing going again and put it back on the road untaxed and uninsured - caused me a lot of problems and money to sort out.

My own fault but just be careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Whoever you get to do it just be careful that you sort out the paperwork.

I got my brother in law to get rid of one for me a couple of years ago. He gave it to a local "scrap dealer". A few months later I got several parking tickets.

They basically got the thing going again and put it back on the road untaxed and uninsured - caused me a lot of problems and money to sort out.

My own fault but just be careful.

Yeah, I had the same experience when I drove my old car up to a local scrapyard.

I think the VLC has various sections like transferred, sold, etc., and one of these is scrapped. You just have to name where or who, sign it, and send it off - to Shannon I think.

That should CYA...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just to bump this, the car was disposed of by Molloy Metal Recycling who are based in Ballycarney near Enniscorthy. They have a local agent in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

did it cost you? or is it free and they make on the scrap metal?
    dont have a car to scrap, just wondering

• Advertisement

Its free.

The fella showed me some of the cars in his 2011 list - pretty crazy world when perfectly good 4/5 year old cars are being junked to take advantage of dealer scrapage schemes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

Its free.

The fella showed me some of the cars in his 2011 list - pretty crazy world when perfectly good 4/5 year old cars are being junked to take advantage of dealer scrapage schemes.

ah now, this is Ireland and you can be 100% sure that the good runners that are "scrapped" are not crushed and recycled. Good old Irish cute-hoor-ery will see some underhand swindling that ensure these cars are re-registered in some round-about way and sold on to be put back on the road. Example a good car scrapped under scheme, then the identity and reg is transplanted to if from a badly crashed car of the same model.

I have a neighbour who is a 4x4 dealer and the guards are alway inspecting the place. Down through the years i have heard some pretty ingenious plots and plans for getting write-offs back on the road then its sold on as second hand. Might as well sure, if the car is good theres no point wasting it. Everybody wins in this case I think.

You really are the fella for pub talk nonsense aren't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

You really are the fella for pub talk nonsense aren't you?

Who me? have you ever been to one of those backstreet garage/scrap dealer/chopshop type places? The plots and swindles that are hatched by them is priceless.

My neighbour (in countryside) with the 4x4 garage/scrapyard/chopshop has been for years taking crash damaged jeeps of irish and UK origin and chopping and welding them back together to make a good jeep and then selling them on as uk imports. I often pass his place and theres crashed yellow plate jeeps always parked around and there's plenty jepps to be seen that have been cut in half around the place. The guards often are hanging around/inpecting but so far he seems to be getting away with it (25 years or so i'd say). Illegal as hell, yes, but sure there no real harm in it.

It turned out a friend (from near new ross) in my college class bought a SWB mitsubishi pajero from him a few years back and it is still flying it as far as i know, and this lad is also a farmer so he definitely put its through its paces. So long as the technical/mechanical aspects of the chop/weld process are done properly and to a high standard of workmanship, i see nothing wrong with it from that point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Who me? have you ever been to one of those backstreet garage/scrap dealer/chopshop type places? The plots and swindles that are hatched by them is priceless.

My neighbour (in countryside) with the 4x4 garage/scrapyard/chopshop has been for years taking crash damaged jeeps of irish and UK origin and chopping and welding them back together to make a good jeep and then selling them on as uk imports. I often pass his place and theres crashed yellow plate jeeps always parked around and there's plenty jepps to be seen that have been cut in half around the place. The guards often are hanging around/inpecting but so far he seems to be getting away with it (25 years or so i'd say). Illegal as hell, yes, but sure there no real harm in it.

It turned out a friend (from near new ross) in my college class bought a SWB mitsubishi pajero from him a few years back and it is still flying it as far as i know, and this lad is also a farmer so he definitely put its through its paces. So long as the technical/mechanical aspects of the chop/weld process are done properly and to a high standard of workmanship, i see nothing wrong with it from that point of view.
    yeah until the vehicle in question is in a serious collision and crumbles up like a coke can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

yeah until the vehicle in question is in a serious collision and crumbles up like a coke can

Exactly, have a look at the following video to see what the difference between a standard car and a welded car can mean...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Did Molly's give you something for taking away the car? We got them a few months back to take away scrap at home, got €80 a ton for it, had over 3 ton of scrap gathered up.

I got a few 50s for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Just to bump this, the car was disposed of by Molloy Metal Recycling who are based in Ballycarney near Enniscorthy. They have a local agent in town.
    I wouldnt put you wrong, I should get some sort of boards equivalent of a blue peter badge!

Advertisement