Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to boxing..

• 13-07-2011 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hi all,

I recently started kickboxing. Enjoying it so far - even though it's the toughest training I've ever done!

Just have a couple of questions :)

I will be in the big smoke Saturday and was wondering if someone could recommend a shop to buy decent hand wraps? About 4 ot 4.5 metres? The ones I got in Elverys were pretty useless. Somewhere near Henry street would be handy.

Most people in the class use the gloves that are provided. I would probably prefer to get my own. If I got a pair of 16 oz gloves - would they be ok for bag work and pad work?

Finally, a weird one. When we started training, the instructor said that anyone who is left-handed must stand with right leg forward ("southpaw"). I write with my left hand, however I find it far more comfortable/natural to stand in the usual way (left leg forward) - and this is the way I have been training. Do I have to stand as being left-handed? Or should I continue in the way that feels comfortable?

Any advice is much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Mullen Sport is near Henry street and they have a wide selection and helpful staff. Continue on down Henry street to Capel street and it's on the corner on the left. It is near a load of camping shops and nick nack shops and the like.
    They have a website I'm pretty sure.

Stand whatever way your body feels comfortable. It's your body you have to move only you know what feels right to you. Test out which hand you are better at jabbing with and test out which stance you feel you can move around better in. You'll generally find one way feels like you can move and throw with ease whereas the wrong way will feel a little clunky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Stand right foot forward as your messing up your power and balance, when you get used to it you will benefit from it-also south paws are akward gits so its an advantage for you..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

As for your stance, stand whatever way makes you more comfy AND coordinated. Just because you write with your left hand doesn't mean that you must have your right foot forward. It's not an exact science. Most times I would say a lefty, as in writes, kicks football with left foot etc, would be a southpaw, but if it feels uncomforable and not natural, why do it?

I am a southpaw. I do NOT write or kick ball with left hand or foot. But, I do play pool and snooker as a lefty. So, as I said, it's what you are most coordinated with that really counts. I wasn't made or encouraged to box southpaw, it just felt far more comfortable to me than orthodox.
    But, everyone is different.

BTW, there is such thing as a right handed southpaw, me. That usually indicates that
    the right hand is as strong as the left hand.

walshb wrote: »
    BTW, there is such thing as a right handed southpaw, me. That usually indicates that
    the right hand is as strong as the left hand.

Mike tyson was an orthodox standing left hander but its worth noting they donr this to suit the coaches so they could do pads easier and better with him apparently!

I'd still say to stick with convention as a boxing stance does not have to be natural 1st time you do it, its a new skill after all-but if you traiun a while like that then try southpaw then you'll see the difference, i can do both but lose lots of footwork when i go south paw.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Mike tyson was an orthodox standing left hander but its worth noting they donr this to suit the coaches so they could do pads easier and better with him apparently!

I'd still say to stick with convention as a boxing stance does not have to be natural 1st time you do it, its a new skill after all-but if you traiun a while like that then try southpaw then you'll see the difference, i can do both but lose lots of footwork when i go south paw.

I get your point, Paul. With training and practice if you then feel natural, and you can show that you are better, ok, go for it. But I do not buy into it being an exact science.

Hagler was one who could switch, but you could see that he was more comfy as a southpaw. There will be a more dominant side.

Your point about the feet when you switch is spot on. Hagler proves it. You just aren't as balanced and coordinated
    on one side as you are on your natural side. So, I think balance, coordination and feet are the most important
    traits in the sport. Everything else follows from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

ripcord wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recently started kickboxing. Enjoying it so far - even though it's the toughest training I've ever done!

Just have a couple of questions :)

I will be in the big smoke Saturday and was wondering if someone could recommend a shop to buy decent hand wraps? About 4 ot 4.5 metres? The ones I got in Elverys were pretty useless. Somewhere near Henry street would be handy.

Most people in the class use the gloves that are provided. I would probably prefer to get my own. If I got a pair of 16 oz gloves - would they be ok for bag work and pad work?

Finally, a weird one. When we started training, the instructor said that anyone who is left-handed must stand with right leg forward ("southpaw"). I write with my left hand, however I find it far more comfortable/natural to stand in the usual way (left leg forward) - and this is the way I have been training. Do I have to stand as being left-handed? Or should I continue in the way that feels comfortable?

Any advice is much appreciated! :)

For the gloves, not all 16's will do for bag work, some will fall apart as their not designed to take it. Likewise not all gloves designed for the bags will do for sparring. I'm on the phone but I'll try get a link up later.

The correct stance always feels wrong to new lads. Do what he's telling ye and you'll feel comfortable after a while and an orthodox stance will feel unnatural.

When your strong hand is your back hand, when you get your technique right you will be able to generate alot more power with it. If your strong hand is forward you won't really have any power with either hand.
    Also being left handed is a natural advantage, noone enjoys fighting southpaws. If you convert to orthodox your loosing that advantage along with the power you could be generating with the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

Thanks everyone.

I will try Mullens for the handwraps.

The stance thing is a strange one:

I write with my left hand.
    When playing tennis I use my left.
    I kick a football with my right foot (left is useless ;))
    When kicking in kickboxing, my right leg is good - My left leg is useless.

To be honest, I'm still not sure which of my hands is the stronger...
    I'll ask the instructor for more advice this evening...

colly10 wrote: »
    If you convert to orthodox your loosing that advantage along with the power you could be generating with the left.

But where does it say that just because you write with your left hand that this means thay you generate (or could generate) more power punching with this hand (as a southpaw) The fighter could well have a heavier right hand whilst in the orthodox position. That is my point, PLUS, if it feels more
    natural, then why change it?

ripcord wrote: »
    Thanks everyone.

I will try Mullens for the handwraps.

The stance thing is a strange one:

I write with my left hand.
    When playing tennis I use my left.
    I kick a football with my right foot (left is useless ;))
    When kicking in kickboxing, my right leg is good - My left leg is useless.

To be honest, I'm still not sure which of my hands is the stronger...
    I'll ask the instructor for more advice this evening...

So, you are simlar to me. You are not completely a righty or lefty. So, in this instance, I would go with the most comfortable stance

I think feet apart throw some left jabs, straight rights and move around and see how you feel. Then try the same in the other stance. One way should feel more natural. I'm always amazed people can't figure out the stance themselves, I mean if you just said to someone "Stand balanced and relaxed that you won't fall forward or backwards if I push you or pull you" they should place their feet in the correct manner.
    It's not as hard as something like dancing which requires alot of adjustment to stance, feet, arms, steps, hips, head, etc.

• Advertisement

But where does it say that just because you write with your left hand that this means thay you generate more power punching with this hand (as a southpaw) The fighter could well have a heavier right hand whilst in the orthodox position. That is my point, PLUS, if it feels more
    natural, then why change it?

True, it is possible that he has a more powerful right hand and and if that's the case then he should fight orthodox.

Most new lads feel more natural fighting the wrong stance, I did myself. I'm glad I stuck it out though cause if I had of decided to go southpaw (which felt more natural at first) I wouldn't want to be relying on my left hand to get me out of trouble.
    I wouldn't really have had any power if I went against advice and went southpaw where as now when all is going badly in a fight I know I always have a chance of turning the fight with a good right cross

Really which hand he writes with doesn't matter, the powerful hand should be the backhand

Most new lads feel more natural fighting the wrong stance, I did myself. I'm glad I stuck it out though cause if I had of decided to go southpaw (which felt more natural at first) I wouldn't want to be relying on my left hand to get me out of trouble.

My whole point. Where does it say there is a wrong stance? It's all very individual, and open to interpretation, depending on the person and his/her
    skills and traits and strengths and weaknesses.

If a lad came in and was forced to change stance based on this logic, then who's to know if that lad would have ever been better and more successful IF he had stayed how he himself had felt more comfortable?

Me for example. I am more a righty than lefty. Now, if I go by the so called right way, then I would be
    orthodox. Now, I have fairly good feet and balance, and I know well that no matter how much practice
    I would put in, standing with my left foot first would never be as natural or coordinated as
    me standing with my right foot first. I have switched many tomes and it just never is as comfy
    or good as when I am right foot first.

True, it is possible that he has a more powerful right hand and and if that's the case then he should fight orthodox.

Another point I will address. It shouldn't boil down to simply power in a hand.
    Surely balance and coordinartion must also be considered? He may well have a stronger left or right hand,
    but IF he boxes accordingly, yet has poor balance and feet, then what use is the power?
    It's all about getting the best package with what you have. May need to sacrifice one thing
    for another.

Been a left hander and right footer changes everything and is random, but if your left handed and left footed and go orthodox i think you should stop and start listening to your coach, most people knew to boxing jump into the wrong stance as they want there strong hand in front and have probably over the years got used to this when messing about etc...

Another point I will address. It shouldn't boil down to simply power in a hand.
    Surely balance and coordinartion must also be considered? He may well have a stronger left or right hand,
    but IF he boxes accordingly, yet has poor balance and feet, then what use is the power?
    It's all about getting the best package with what you have. May need to sacrifice one thing
    for another.

Ok, well would you agree that if a guy is very much right footed and has a much stronger right hand that he should fight orthodox regardless of what he feels is natural when he has never boxed before or do you think he should always go with whatever is most natural to him when he walks into the gym for the first time?

I guess the best advice and guidance is that ANY coach should be open to options. This "forcing" of a style or a stance is IMO misguided. Check it all out and then come up with what suits the fighter the best. Listen to the person who wants to box. After all, it's his body, and he should know and feel it the best. Be open to giving and receiving feednback.

Many coaches have the "I know best, I know it all" attitude. That isn't the way to go.

colly, my answer to your question is similar to above. Check it out. Don't be ready to force a stance on any person. Again, the most important aspect in boxing is actual balance and coordination. That comes from the legs mostly. Everything else, stamina, chin, speed, versatility, power follows from the balance and coordination.

So, whether a wannabe boxer is right dominated, left dominated, or mixed, there is no exact formula. You pick what is best after considering and testing all options

It all comes back to that ongoing issue of what feels natural versus what is coached. Example being the right hook, how often do you see coaches in pictures with their hands on someones elbow adjusting the elbow up mad high. It's fairly rare to see such a textbook punch land in an actual fight. So it can all be a little bit textbook versus reality. Kenny Egan for example if you see him training lands with his elbows perfectly aligned on the pads and bag, but you just do not see the same punches when he fights.
    Many world champions had poor technique Calzaghe, Froch, Collins.
    I know amateurs can be different as I think sometimes the judges like very clean technical punches.

Many world champions had poor technique Calzaghe, Froch, Collins.

Collins did not have poor technique, maybe your basing this on his famous fights where he became a brawler and instead of most his fights where he was technically very tidy counter puncher and had nice straight punching technique..

even in the war fights he donr the basics really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 globalkb

Im a leftie, I write with my left hand,my instincts are to do everything with my left hand i.e. if i drop something ill pick it up with my left, ill open doors etc with my left hand

I did my first kb grade as a southpaw but then decided as I was new to kb I was no handed and changed to a "rightie" stance. I can attack in both stances now but my defence is far far better in a right handed stance so if Im under pressure Ill always go back to that.

The advantages I have found with being a leftie in a rightie stance are that my left jab is very stiff and it surprises people and makes them think about coming at me and also I do not find fighting south paw opponents awkward at all because i think the same way as them,i'll often be sparrin a southpaw and only realise they are actually south paw after about 30 seconds!

Ideally we would all be brilliant in both stances but also ideally we'd all be paid to train and fight and have the time to develop this! my advice to newbies in class is always do what feels natural and go with your own body mechanics and balance,if its not working out they'll soon know themselves

cowzerp wrote: »
    Collins did not have poor technique, maybe your basing this on his famous fights where he became a brawler and instead of most his fights where he was technically very tidy counter puncher and had nice straight punching technique..

even in the war fights he donr the basics really well.

He could be dreadful to watch at times, so sloppy and awkward. His problem was his feet. He didn't have great feet and movement. Punched well though, neat.

Compare him to your hero, Calzaghe, who had excellent feet and balance and coordination. Problem with Calzaghe was he had poor punching technique. Lots of slapping. But, he was a very well balanced fighter. That is what made him so effective. Speed of feet and hand.

• Advertisement

globalkb wrote: »
    Im a leftie, I write with my left hand,my instincts are to do everything with my left hand i.e. if i drop something ill pick it up with my left, ill open doors etc with my left hand

I did my first kb grade as a southpaw but then decided as I was new to kb I was no handed and changed to a "rightie" stance. I can attack in both stances now but my defence is far far better in a right handed stance so if Im under pressure Ill always go back to that.

The advantages I have found with being a leftie in a rightie stance are that my left jab is very stiff and it surprises people and makes them think about coming at me and also I do not find fighting south paw opponents awkward at all because i think the same way as them,i'll often be sparrin a southpaw and only realise they are actually south paw after about 30 seconds!

Ideally we would all be brilliant in both stances but also ideally we'd all be paid to train and fight and have the time to develop this! my advice to newbies in class is always do what feels natural and go with your own body mechanics and balance,if its not working out they'll soon know themselves

Proving my whole point, that this is not an exact science. It all depends on all the qualities, strengths and weaknesses of the individual. Yes, most times a lefty will be more suited AND comfy with the southpaw stance; but there are times when it just won't apply, and should not be applied, or forced.

I am 90 percent a right handed, right footed etc person. Yet I am a southpaw as regards stance. That goes against the "logic."
    As a matter of ineterest fellas, on a mobile phone, are you holding it in right hand to right ear, or left hand to left ear?

I am right hand to right ear. I guess that means I am right hand dominant.

I dunno for me Collins stood with his legs very close together once in close and had very little leg movement when punching. He looked very arm punchey and often threw punches for the sake of throwing punches. I mean throwing very takeable punches, not the kinda punches that if they connect put you down for an 8 or 10 count. He never really seemed to be springing with his legs when throwing any punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 GLENN H

hey I just want to ask you something,do you know if you can use boxing gloves for kickboxing?? thanks:)

GLENN H wrote: »
    hey I just want to ask you something,do you know if you can use boxing gloves for kickboxing?? thanks:)

Yes Glen you can-Kickboxing gloves are Boxing gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭boxinginfo

when i punch it does feel more natural for a power shot with my right hand ,but i have the more muscle on my left arm with little boxing trainning on both arms.

seem as im starting would it be worth while training as a south paw , to get the awkward advantage.

how can i have more muscle on one arm and still hit weaker with it?

if i start trainning with my left which leg goes foward.

boxinginfo wrote: »
    when i punch it does feel more natural for a power shot with my right hand ,but i have the more muscle on my left arm with little boxing trainning on both arms.

seem as im starting would it be worth while training as a south paw , to get the awkward advantage.

how can i have more muscle on one arm and still hit weaker with it?

if i start trainning with my left which leg goes foward.

Because arms are not that important to power, torso and legs and the speed and technique are the main way to hit hard. Stand with writing hand to the back.

Their is some people different but there the exception

Advertisement