Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Video camera for recording golf swing

Options
  • 13-07-2011 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have currently aquired a software package to view/edit/analysis my golf swing.

The problem I have is the video camera I used for the recording of my swing is crap. Basically when I slow the video down using the software, I am unable to even see the club moving due to bluring.

I did a bit of research and it appears I need to reduce my shutter speed to 1/2000 of a second or 1/1000 of a second if the video is too dark.

Question I have is: What good cheap video camera could I get to carry out this task.

Ive searched around the net but most cameras dont give me any information on the shutter speed ranges etc.

Would appreciate all help here.

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

i guess you also need one with a high fps rate.
    that is the amount of still images it takes in a second.
    but yeah the shutter speed would probably be the most important to stop blurring etc
    as for cheap ones...i doubt there are many which do what you want. its high speed video capture.
    maybe a rental for a day or 2 is what you want just to check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Thanks for the reply Kenyard.

I read a bit about the fps rate alright and some spoke about 60 fps as apposed to 24 fps.

As its just for personal use I believe 24 fps would be sufficient for my needs.

I looked at cameras in argos/amazon online etc, but they dont speak about shutter speed range or there ability to be able to adjust shutter speed (manual).

Does the average video camera have the ability to adjust this variable?
    Or would you know a suitable camera or how I could find out.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

It's fps you need to change. I you have a mate with a decent DSLR camera, you should be able to shoot 60fps with that.

A longer shot; if you can get a hold of a sony z5, they can record slo-mo for a burst of 3, 6 or 12 seconds by upping the fps.

EDIT: Where are you based?

Ok guys, thanks for the replys..

Ive done alot of research since my last post and believe Ive come up with what I need.

Yes it appears I need and increased frame rate, but I also need a higher shutter rate also.

Optimum conditions for a golf swing are abt 240-420 fps with 1/1000-1/4000 shutter speed. Shutter speed should also be manually adjustable as you may need to adjust due to light.

The camera I eventually selected is a casio ex-fh100 with a 16GB class 10 SDHC memory card. All this new for under 300 yo yos....

Reviews out there have it abt the best camera you can get for this job and is also a very good standard camera also. it does HD at 30fps and will film up to 1000fps.

Don't work for casio or anything:), but just wanted to save someone the bother in the future of all the research.

check out this vid of someone captured at 420fps with an ex-fh100.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwdNs7ie_0&feature=related

PS the newer model (ex-zr100) it not as good for this application. see third video down in below link by a guy called Dave Phillips

http://golfprogress.net/?p=796

should be delivered this week:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

should be delivered this week:)
    Looks like a good camera, really shocked to see high speed in that type of camera. I had a Casio Exilim years ago, it was a great camera at the time, took really rich photos but I gave it to a friend and it got damaged by sand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

out of my own curiousity what is the software your using for capturing the golf swing? pm if you dont want to disclose, id be interested to know. Thanks

Hi there.

Im using an application called cSwing2010, Its quite good.
    There is also an application out there called V1 pro 2010 that I havn't used but I hear is quite good also..

Hope this helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

thanks for that, ive experience in the past of using dartfish for the video capture, ive never known the camera speed to be a problem with regards to this. Once calibrated the footage can be tracked to measure points of interest or concern.

Would that be a solution to your problem?

Pretty much any video camera made today will work. In fact the one I use is a Sony about 5+ years old.

Dont think so buddy. I used an olympus (cant remember exact model) and my swing was just a blur.

Your gonna need at minimum 120fps to get any decent feedback, and a standard camera just wont do that.

High speed is your only man im afraid

jack520 wrote: »
    The post tell us more knowledge,we can use it in our life.Coach PursesThank you for the artor

You have me lost with this one.
    Is this like a puzzle or something i have to figure out???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 bennz

Where did you buy the casio ex-fh100?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 edwardrich01

go for Mini-DV camera..

Advertisement