Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torchwood: Miracle Day Episode 2 *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

To get people ready for the next episode Starz has release some photos from ep2:

bDz1O.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/starz_channel/

"its ok Rhys, just one little shot and you wont remember a thing"

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm enjoying it for what it is, but i'm still not getting a Torchwood vibe from it.

I honestly think that someone behind the scenes is telling Eve Myles to "say funny things in a strong welsh accent" for comedic effect. I assume RTD is still putting his stamp on things too, like Dichen Lachman's scene at the end. He should have made her fart too. That would have been soooo funny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be honest, the best plot-strand of this show so far has been the one revolving around the female doctor & the medical world trying to cope with the Miracle. If part 2 had have been completely set at those medical panels, watching the various professionals argue & debate how to treat patients, I would have been just as happy. That in my view was the most compelling part. It really sold the reality of the situation, which is something you rarely get in event TV.

The rest felt like your standard conspiracy fare & the Torchwood element is feeling a little tacked on at this point; I'm sure eventually it'll be all tied together when the various arcs become a little clearer, but for now Torchwood itself seems like an afterthought. The Scoobie-gang (or what's left of it) don't have much to do: Gwen certainly showed her ass-kicking side & is the strongest character of the "team" so far, but a lot of her dialogue was simply mining for "fish out of water" laughs. Jack just seems like a passenger to events & poor old Rhys! Hope that's not the last we see of him.

As for the new members; the hatred for Phifer's character continues - Rex Matheson is a horrendous arsehole, and it's hard to see where this character could possibly be going. Blondie McInterchangeable simply feels like a cypher with no discernible qualities. At least Rex has a forceful personality, Blondie hasn't really done anything.

Not sure what to make of Bill Pullmen's character - you can certainly tells he's enjoying the part, he's giving it his all, it's quite a strange performance.

To be fair though, there are little touches that make it feel a little Torchwood'y though: the CIA agent with the broken neck, tottering after the Scoobies was macabre & funny. The twitching severed arm, and the getaway car being the Mini was a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭See Ye

What about the redhead "PR" woman ? She's not what she seems to be - that "Call me when you need me" line is too obvious. The only thing I'm really curious about now is what is actually going on, I mean was this an accident or deliberate alien intervention ?

The number of times I've walked past the house Gwen and Rhys had escaped to "in the middle of nowhere" for example, I don't appreciate that they've decamped to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

Geez, They could have at least padded out that two sentence email so Drummond doesn't look like an idiot when she's surprised Torchwood's in custody.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I don't watch Doctor Who first off. I actually hate it. I did give Torchwood a chance for the last mini series. It was just about watchable. But this is so bad it's not even funny.

See Ye wrote: »
    What about the redhead "PR" woman ? She's not what she seems to be - that "Call me when you need me" line is too obvious. The only thing I'm really curious about now is what is actually going on, I mean was this an accident or deliberate alien intervention ?

The number of times I've walked past the house Gwen and Rhys had escaped to "in the middle of nowhere" for example, I don't appreciate that they've decamped to the US.

apparently neither an accident or deliberate alien intervention
    something to do with a global conspiracy, governments doo-ha and somebody called the three families

in relation to that house, check out this classic thread on digital spy.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1504120

:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I thought the second episode was brilliant!...loved it!!!, sooo damn funny, Gwen..lol!
    I hope to see more of Dichen, 100% agree with Pixel...the most compelling bits were all the various real world angles to the medical implications of no one dying..made for compelling tv and repeated viewing to take the info in.

Ratings for episode 2: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/07/18/torchwood-miracle-day-episode-one-viewing-up-with-additional-views-but-premiere-of-episode-2-falls-26/98282/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

An improvement on last week for sure. Like others have said seeing the doctors debating the situation was interesting for the same reason Day 4 is my favourite from Children of Earth. Not a total disaster so

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Parts of this feel very dragged out. I know it's early days but I'm wishing they'd gone for another 5 episodes over one week series. This has very little momentum so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

So far its still good . Obviously with the big bucks put in this-its going to have less of an original Torch wood feel and more American. Its trying for a wider audience. The writing/acting are all good but the CIA black Dude is being played way over the top. He is really comical.Perhaps hysterical/comical acting is part of the whole Doctor who thing? I was critical of Jack's acting (I dont know the actor's name) but its improving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

What station/channel is this on?

I am quite enjoying it tbh :) though one review I read did describe it as a poor mans 24, which is kinda true but being a fan I am thoroughly loving it :)

/starts E03 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

BBC1, Thursdays at 9pm

Red-Head PR woman tells the Bill Pullman character that she can help him, fair enough, so far so ok.

but it is when she approaches the doctor and says, off hand, that there was a law banning the manufacture/ supply of painkillers only introduced that year which is very interesting. Not to mention why she was there gate-crashing the test of the arm to see if it was aging in the first place.

So she is a lot more than she seems, and she seems to know more than we think. That is good writing.

I liked this one a lot, i think that the way the CIA Dude acted on the tarmac at heathrow airport was a bit loopy actually. I was half expecting him to break out into some generic hip hop posing.

So, what do we know, without the aid of spoilers?

1. Someone issues a world-wide swamping of computers and/or media with Torchwood information. This attracts Jack, who is immortal.
    2. At that exact same moment of the swamping, the last person dies/people start living when they should not.
    3. There is some organisation which has infultrated the CIA and which wants anyone connected with Torchwood, along with Torchwood itself, killed.
    4. There is a woman who has deciced to become involved with the Bill Pullman character and the Hospital Doctor Character, and who seems to have an interest in realtion to pain killing drugs and the medical tests being carried out on body parts.

It bubbling nicely, I have to say. Really really good television.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

The writing/acting are all good but the CIA black Dude is being played way over the top.

Infuriatingly Enver Gjokaj was shortlisted for the part of Rex but once Dichen Lachman was cast as Lyn he was passed over. It's really pissing me off every time I see Mekhi Phifer hamming it up. Gjokaj is phenomenally talented and would undoubtedly have made Rex a compelling character instead of the poor joke he is now.

Advertisement