Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant braking lease after 4 months...

Options
  • 13-07-2011 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

Hello, I'd appreciate some advice from other landlords please.

I'm a first time landlord, renting out my place to rent elsewhere - but thats kind of beside the point.

In March I rented out my place to a couple. I got work references etc, and got them to sign a years lease. They were late with the rent for the first 3 months, but paid up in full. Now, coming into month 5, they ring to tell me they've split up, & want to move out. Neither wish to remain, as they want a "fresh start". Clearly this isn't an ideal situation.

I want to be accommodating, but this is obviously a royal pain in the ar$e for me.

Do I withhold the deposit, in lue of rent until I get other tenants in? Whats the "standard" process for this kind of messiness?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Be accommodating within reason.

ask them to find new tennants that you approve but that you expect the rent to be paid in the mean time. If not PRTB with them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

We spoke last night and I agreed to reactivate the add on daft & they said they'd do all they could to find replacements.

To be honest, if it all gets boxed off within this month, I'm happy to let it go, but I'm concerned that it'll spill into next month.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

they still have responsibility to pay the rent so i'd keep on top of that in the event it does drag out.

Dont let them off the hook lightly.

In terms of them paying the rent while I/we find replacement tenants, should I look for them to stay in the property, or move out?

Clearly if they move out, it's easier to lease (I can get it cleaned, painted, make it more presentable), however, their deposit only covers one month, so in real terms that would mean after one month I'd have no security to commit them to the lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

If you get them to move out in order to decorate etc, you can't expect them to also pay the rent. If they decide to move out themselves, they're still liable for the rent.

• Advertisement

Update: ok so, in the end the tenants decided to stay, thankfully, although i didn't appreciate all the hassle they put me through with viewing & ads etc.

So about 10 days ago, the tenant contacts me again. He's moving home permanently in mid-December. She wants to stay. They say they'll sort it out and get someone in to replace your man.
    Now i'm happy enough with that setup, only they haven't found anyone yet, and I'm getting concerned they won't find anyone. I was planning on letting the new tenant give their deposit to your man, and leave it at that, but it's starting to look like there mightn't be a new tenant.

Last time they were looking to move out, she (the other tenant) did a lot of the viewings with me. On nearly all occasions she maintained that I had the rent too high. I asked her to point out ad's where it was cheaper, and she showed me 3 ads that were for shared rental (some owner/occupier). Although I pointed out that renting a whole 2bed apt is different to renting a room in a 2bed, and you can't simply "x2" the room rate, she never really accepted that. My concern is that come mid-December she's not going to be prepared to pay the full rent & is going to want to "rent-a-room".

I'm going to talk to them tonight and spell this out & clarify that this is NOT an option. But in preparation of this: should I just serve her notice now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Zulu wrote: »
    Update: ok so, in the end the tenants decided to stay, thankfully, although i didn't appreciate all the hassle they put me through with viewing .....

I'm going to talk to them tonight and spell this out & clarify that this is NOT an option. But in preparation of this: should I just serve her notice now?

You've been fairly patient. Did they sign jointly? Does the lease have a break? If the answers are yes and no, both he and she remain liable for the rent in full. Do not surrender any deposit, if she cannot find anyone to take over the lease, can you ask them both to move out? I would only conside refunding any of the deposit if you relet immediately as they have been messing you around. Where is the flat, will it relet easily?

Marcusm wrote: »
    Where is the flat, will it relet easily?
    Dublin city centre, should rent easily enough, although there can't be too many people looking to rent in december! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Zulu wrote: »
    I rented out my place to a couple
    You rented out the entire place for a set price. No if's of but's. If she wants to move out at the same time as him, she needs to give you a months notice. If she breaks the lease and leaves, I'd say keep the deposit. You have tried to be fair, but it seems she has her head in the clouds regarding rent.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Seems like you're being quite reasonable to me tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement