Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant cohabiting query

Options
  • 13-07-2011 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

What is the story with the cohabiting part of the grant form, im living with the girlfriend, she is working fulltime and doing college part time. I doubt il be working by Sept when my course starts, generally would people leave her info off the form in a similar situation or is it too dodgy? She isnt going to be bankrolling me as it were as i have significant savings built up over the years to get me through a long time. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi guys,

What is the story with the cohabiting part of the grant form, im living with the girlfriend, she is working fulltime and doing college part time. I doubt il be working by Sept when my course starts, generally would people leave her info off the form in a similar situation or is it too dodgy? She isnt going to be bankrolling me as it were as i have significant savings built up over the years to get me through a long time. Thanks

The joint income from a cohabiting couple is assessed on the grant application the same as a married couple. Its your choice as to whether or not you include her details. You can check yourself to see if including her income puts you above the threshold for the grant.
    It's dodgy enough territory in the sense that if you are caught you will have lied by omission on an official document and may/will have to repay the money. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

paperclip2 wrote: »
    The joint income from a cohabiting couple is assessed on the grant application the same as a married couple. Its your choice as to whether or not you include her details. You can check yourself to see if including her income puts you above the threshold for the grant.
    It's dodgy enough territory in the sense that if you are caught you will have lied by omission on an official document and may/will have to repay the money. Hope this helps
    Thanks for the reply. How would/could i get caught? Plus i cant find the thresholds, dont seem to be up on studentfinance.ie yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Tulip11

Hi,

You'll find the thresholds on the Citizens Information website;
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to the tables.

Tulip11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Thanks for the reply. How would/could i get caught? Plus i cant find the thresholds, dont seem to be up on studentfinance.ie yet.

Your PPS number can be the culprit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Your PPS number can be the culprit there.
    In what way? I've the form filled out, other half doesnt want her details on it, so i have left that section blank.

• Advertisement
Advertisement